iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fixed the LT28 today.

Started by Qweaver, April 17, 2014, 04:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I took the drive motor apart for the third time today.  One brush was stuck.  No reason for it to be stuck...it moved freely as soon as I freed it.  Maybe it was the brush wire welding itself to the housing.  Got to be something.  ::)  I put a new brush assembly on and reassembled and the saw travels fine.  The springs are fine on the old brush assembly and the brush housings are clean. The springs are very small but seem plenty strong to hold the brushes against the armature.  Very little wear on the brushes.  This is a real PITA problem and apparently very common.  Fix it WM!
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

drobertson

Yea, that sounds weird for sure, anytime you have to go back in to anything it is a pita ;D  hopefully you will be able to get this issue resolved.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Hilltop366

Glad to hear you got it fixed, a long drawn out frustrating experience for sure.

thechknhwk

Yes, I had my drive motor on the 35 replaced once under warranty for the same issue.  Seems to only happen when it's cold out.

Magicman

Maybe some moisture in the motor freezes and prevents brush movement?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thechknhwk

Quote from: Magicman on April 18, 2014, 09:12:55 AM
Maybe some moisture in the motor freezes and prevents brush movement?

After taking it off and drying/warming it next to the woodstove for a whole day it did the same thing.  I did leave the gear part on the mill though.

Qweaver

The brushes sticking is a real mystery to me.  The springs are small but plenty strong enough.  The housings are clean and smooth.  The brushes are barely worn at all.  The design looks good to my eye.  They should work fine.  But this seems to be a common problem and it just shuts you down until you take it apart to find a stuck brush. Even when I freed it this last time, I could not see why it was stuck.  So I just put a new brush kit on even tho' I could not find a problem with the old one. I hope this is the end to this problem.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

ladylake

Try sanding the brushes of a little, works for me on small dc motors.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!