iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do with a big berl, errr burl or is it birl Oh skip it

Started by rimshot, April 18, 2014, 11:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimshot

my son in law and daughter went through heck  today just to surprize me on my birthday with one of those tree burls.  They waded ethrouigh knee deep snow nd retrieved this thing from way out in the middle of the woods.

It looks like a beauty to me but i know little about the thing and have many questions like do? I saw it lengthwise or across the grain.   Do I dry iet first or saw it and then dry the pieces.    I would like to make  table or two if the grain rates it.

thanks for your comments
javascript:load()
rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

drobertson

You could saw it like cookies, risky, or plain saw it, then size as needed.   Dry it and go for it. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I don't know, but I do know that that (Tom) is a very nice Birthday present.  I also know that you are much loved by your family.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Happy Birthday to ya!!! Now that's a present that took some thought and some work. Someone thinks alot of you.   :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

I have never seen a burl so large and perfectly shaped. What ever you do with it please post pictures.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rimshot

Youi are all right in that it was a job getting that big burl out and the snow is  very heavy yet.  I think I am going to figure out a way to clamp this on my lt10 and whack off some nice 2-3" slabs for some nice coffee tables.  I will grind some tenons into the ends of some nice cedar sapling legs and create some interesting coffee tables.  I am thinking this burl is off a Spruce  tree and was about 3-4 ft up from the ground right at the start off the butt section of the log.  I will post some pics 

liife is good.

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

backwoods sawyer

Hard to top a birthday preset that takes that much effort 8)
I milled up a Madrone Burl about the same size it was just a bit to wide to fit thru  the guides, using the mill I shaved a bit off the two nerrow sides and stood it up the way it grew and milled 2" slabs turned out real good. Keep them out of the hot sun :D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Ocklawahaboy

There are lots of burl threads on the forum.  Do some reading before sawing into it.  I think some folks let theirs sit around and dry first. 

BTW, when I'm BBQing on the pontoon boat for Easter dinner tomorrow, I'll think of you in all that snow.

rimshot

BTW, when I'm BBQing on the pontoon boat for Easter dinner tomorrow, I'll think of you in all that snow.
(Ocklawahaboy)

=========================

BIG CHUCKLE. You got me on that one.  If we tried that we would melt our igloos.

rim

Jeff

That there appears to be a spruce burl.  Awesome for making things out of, but you won't get the crazy burl grain like you do say with a hard maple or other hardwood burl. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rimshot

I believe you are right, Jeff.  At first I thought it might be hemlock.  After having a couple days to thaw it out and look it over in detail Im gonna go with Spruce also

rimshot

spruce

Thank You Sponsors!