iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I think I corrupted 2 neighbor kids today.

Started by Ocklawahaboy, April 19, 2014, 08:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

Had a dead pine taken down from by my power line.  Neighbor kids came over and wanted to help clean up the branches.  Later on, I was milling some other yard pines from the neighborhood.  Same 2 neighbor kids came over transfixed on the mill.  Before long they were asking questions about every moving part and building their own slab pile to take home.  All I could think of was... That's how I got started.  The age old lesson from the streets, first one is free then once you're hooked it starts costing money.  They even wanted to know how much mills cost.  Their lives as they knew it may be over and they don't even realize it yet.

kelLOGg

Their "corruption" may be a good influence.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

tmarch

How much better lesson could anyone provide, and enjoyable too,
GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

macpower

Oh my G! these kids may actually want to work when they grow up. Think what you have done....
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: macpower on April 19, 2014, 09:44:39 PM
Oh my G! these kids may actually want to work when they grow up. Think what you have done....
What's this country's future going to be like if elementary and middle school kids think its fun to help their neighbors do yard work?

goose63

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on April 19, 2014, 09:53:34 PM
What's this country's future going to be like if elementary and middle school kids think its fun to help their neighbors do yard work?
Just maybe there is hope for some kids
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

SawyerBrown

And to think you could have "saved" them by sending them in to watch TV or play a video game.  But, no, you had to corrupt them.  Just despicable!

smiley_thumbsup
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Ocklawahaboy

I think there is still plenty of time for video games to save these kids from a life of sawdust

sawguy21

Well now what are these kids going to do growing up and learning to get a day's pay for an honest day's work? I would say ya done good, I like it. smiley_clapping
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

petefrom bearswamp

All of the "kids" here in my small rural neighborhood are very willing to work
I don't think you can paint all kids with the same brush.
I hire a few to help around the place with good success.
Great training job Ockla!
Reminds me of an old poem back in the past when people were disparaging the young folks as regards military service.
I think this is verbatim
How near is grandeur to our dust,
How near is god to man.
When duty whispers low "thou must "
The youth replies "I can"

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nomad

If that's your idea of "corrupting," you should do it more often.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

pine

Good job on that form of corruption may more of it occur throughout the land.

Magicman

It is very rewarding to be able to answer questions from inquiring youth.  And your interest was rewarding to them.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ammonbarnes

There are worse things for today's kids to be addicted to

Ocklawahaboy

I had 2 more logs dropped off in the front yard today, for a total of 6 left to play with.  I'm sure I'll see them back.  Nice kids.

Brian C.

Quote from: goose63 on April 19, 2014, 10:00:37 PM
Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on April 19, 2014, 09:53:34 PM
Just maybe there is hope for some kids
There is hope for ALL kids, its the parents that we need to watch out for.

tcg

Ocklawahaboy
Way to go!! 
Young people love to learn when given the opportunity along with an instructor, teacher, guide or what ever term you wish to use that is interested in them.
Just imagine the conversation at their dinner table that night.
All because you took the time to answer some questions.

thecfarm

I been thinking about this thread. I wished someone would of corrupted me years ago.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JamieT

Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

Thank You Sponsors!