iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmills and their towns of the 1800's

Started by alvastation, April 20, 2014, 07:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alvastation

Hi I am from Wisconsin, City Point, which is in Eastern Jackson County. In the 1800's there were several sawmills and towns. They were called... Good Year, Mc Kenna, Zeda, Spurbeck. I have been to each one of these sites, but nothing remains except for a few pieces of iron, or some busted bricks, or a Barrel Hoop Ring. However there is one spot, at the McKenna Mill site where there are these large bolt type things sticking out of the ground. They are threaded only so far down. they are in a row, of 5 on one side, and straight across from those, there are more of them, same thing, only 6 in a row. I had found one of these laying elsewhere laying on the ground, and the bottom has a big square with a hole in the center, that fits onto the large bolt, then under that there is a good sized Cast Iron Washer and a good sized nut. If anybody has any idea what these things are, and what they were used for, please let me know. In between the 2 rows of these are lots of busted bricks, so I am guessing there may have been a steam powered generator there or a boiler. But I have no idea what the purpose of the long bolts were. You may contact me here, or call/text me at 608 XXX XXXX if you have any info about these sawmill towns or what the large bolts were for. Thank you.Dan.

thecfarm

alvastation,welcome to the forum. I would have no idea. We had a lot of sawmills around here. I mean just small,waterpower ones. They would be just a sawing now. Some would only saw in the spring due to not enough water any other time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Alvastation.
Kind of sounds like some sort of anchors to me, but without more info or possibly a picture who knows.

Allan

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dan!

I agree with Allan, sounds like some sort of anchor point for holding a structure or piece of equipment.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

Welcome to the forum.   Just a word of advise. I certainly would not be leaving my personal contact information for every spammer in the world to have access to. You are allowed to post your own contact information if you wish, but its rarely a good idea when you could be reached with a personal message just as easy and maintain some privacy. You can edit your post to put it back if you want, but for now, I've removed it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

alvastation

Thank you all. I do have photos of the large bolts, on my cellphone, but have no way to transfer the photos to here. If somebody wants to see the photos, all I can do is get your number and I will picture text the photos to you. So, if you wish to see the photos, send me a personal message/private message with your number, and I will send you the pictures via a picture text message, Thank you. Also these large bolts have been in their original location, from 1800- to the present, and they are actually in not too bad of condition, considering their age. Long time to have sat there. Must have been good metal/iron they used then.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry forum, alvastation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! The bolts would most likely be wrought iron from that time period. It tends to patina a little bit, then just stay the same for a very long time.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

backwoods sawyer

When i was younger i lived in a "sawmill town" over on the east side of the state, when they shut the sawmill down they pulled up all the rail track used to bring the logs to town, dismantled the sawmill and sold all the houses (they had to be moved) now it is a state park with a chunk of cement where the saw arbor frame had been bolted down with large bolts.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Jeff

Quote from: alvastation on April 20, 2014, 08:19:58 PM
So, if you wish to see the photos, send me a personal message/private message with your number, and I will send you the pictures via a picture text message, Thank you.

I'd highly advise against that at this juncture...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!