iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Close proximity to the well for my mill is it a problem?

Started by iwiegian, April 20, 2014, 03:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwiegian

First off I hope everyone had a happy Easter and got to spend time with all your loved ones.

I am going to start setting up my Belsaw M-14 and I finally decided on the location a couple of weeks ago.  I was at the site today getting ready to sink my pole for the foundation at it occurred to me that I had not given any thought to the well being only about 60 ft away.  It will not be in the way for any reason but here is my question.   

Is there any risk of water contamination from water that has soaked  threw  sawdust.  I am going to use a vacuum system to remove saw dust but I am sure there will still be plenty left around.  So what are your thoughts and haas anyone experienced this same situation.  The spot is prefect as it will be close to water and electricity also it is a nice flat spot.   Oh yeh and the well will eventually be for house water if I ever get it built.  Dave 

Small Slick

I see no reason for concern. I just had a septic installed; state approved plans, licensed plumber and local inspection and its probably only 100 - 130 feet from my well.

John.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Rougespear

I would imagine there would be no issue, but it would depend on several factors: depth of well, prevailing drainage direction at mill site, your use of various "types" of lube (re: water vs. diesel fuel), as well as your maintenance regimes on equipment that could potentially pose a hazard (hydraulic systems).
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

york

My mill is about 40 ft. from the well casing and i would run my tractor near it-big mistake,because i broke the barb fitting that goes into the pit less adapter,from ground pressure,just thought would let you know...albert
Albert

Alyeska Pete

Most likely rain and other surface water filtered through sawdust will be a allot cleaner than surface water that isn't. I would consider it a plus.

bandmiller2

I would not be concerned with the sawdust but more so with the gas or diesel fuel leeching into the ground from a leak. I would set up some sort of containment under the engine or tractor. A cement slab with higher edges would be fine. Probibly not a big concern. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Coon

Softwoods sawdust such as that from spruce is on the acidic side of the ph scale and could cause problems through leaching ground water. I am not sure what other softwoods and hardwoods are like though.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ddcuning

In NC you have to be 50ft from a well with any structure. My mill is 50ft exactly from the well on the property. The first 60ft of the well should be in casing so there is reduced risk from ground contaminates from entering the well. I would think you are fine if the well is cased.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Ocklawahaboy

I second the notes about the long chain hydrocarbons.  When they leach in, they float on the top of the groundwater so you often get a little bit at a time in your water or, may not see it for a long time and then in a low water period, you get tons of it.  Lubing the mill, spilled fuel etc all add up. 

YellowHammer

Quote from: ddcuning on April 20, 2014, 09:42:02 PM
The first 60ft of the well should be in casing so there is reduced risk from ground contaminates from entering the well. I would think you are fine if the well is cased.
Dave C

Indeed, the 30 foot deep poured concrete casing that is required around here (not sure what your county requires) is a groundwater contamination seal, and is intended to keep contaminated shallow ground water, rainwater, runoff, herbicides, pesticides, cattle manure, septic tank leach, etc from mixing and contaminating pure aquifer water.

The biggest chance of well contamination is direct spillage, reverse flow, etc so make sure the well head is properly covered or vaulted, and your check valve is working properly.   

Also as mentioned by Bandmiller2 and others, basic spill protection is a good idea to prevent general contamination of surface water if possible.  A quick call to your county health department should give you the exact specifics of your well, such as casing seal depth, recovery flow rate, depth of first water, and any water quality checks that may been done on it.  They can also tell you what aquifer supplies it. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

iwiegian

Thanks for the reply's everyone.  A lot of things to think about.  I was working at the site all day and after thinking about it and reading the post's here I am going to move the mill east about 50 feet.  That will get it not only farther away but also the slope will be away from the well.  The other location was directly above the well.  It will require some leveling but I guess that will give me an excuse to fire up the old d6c. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful everyone is on this site.  Dave

Thank You Sponsors!