iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Oak

Started by Warrior697, April 20, 2014, 05:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warrior697

new to the forum but been visiting site for months so I figured I would make a post. So, heres what I got dumped in m lap yesterday.. 42" diameter red oak. Customer is hoping for slabs if not completely rotten. This is WAY to big for my mill but I do have access to a 48" chainsaw mill. I'm betting its loaded with nails, I think he should bring it to the dump.. what do you guys think? thanks -Cory

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/36293/oak~1.JPG

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  That spot at 10:00 might indicate metal so avoid it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Roll it so the split is horizontal, stay below the spot MM pointed out, and try for a couple of slabs.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WellandportRob

Take 2 feet of the butt end and look at the staining.  Generally if I see staining that low in the butt it is loaded with steel.  That looks like it may be from an old fence row. Good luck with that one.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

Warrior697

Thanks guys. I'm thinking bout cutting him a 3" end grain slab.. Easier

jmouton

we got a big red  oak too but its ours and it was free  ,  42-44 inch or so  16 ft long  ,  not sure what to do with it  since we dont have a big chain saw yet , that will cut it ,  so it sits,  next we have to try to get it off the ground so it wont rot,   arnt big logs fun,,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

WDH

I would say no.  It is a poor, split, low grade log with a good possibility of metal.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

Looks like it may have had a couple lightning strikes. every lightning struck oak I've sawn has fallen apart in the drying process. Zing off the butt and see if the fresh end develops checks that look like shake. if so, dock it for firewood. if not, maybe give it a go. all you have to lose is time and money.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

stavebuyer

Definitely looks like metal at 10 a clock as MM pointed out. I think the slabs would quarter themselves. If I was going to mess with it(which I wouldn't ), I am not sure it wouldn't split into quarters fairly readily with wedges.

Seaman

I do a lot of slabbing, and hate to see the end so busted. I too would cut the butt two feet to see what it looks like. then cut a 3 in cookie to see if it breaks apart in your hands. If it does, you have a nice piece of firewood.
Potential for nice slabs if log is more solid on up.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Thank You Sponsors!