iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making a log loader attachment on a backhoe ?

Started by UNCLEBUCK, July 22, 2006, 06:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

I found that I can haul logs on my backhoe if I can get the bucket curled up under the log but I end up with alot of dirt as well . Am wanting to make a thumb or also just welding a piece of steel on each side of backhoe bucket to get log to stay on while I am curling the bucket up .

Has anyone got pictures or done something like this?

I was looking for a pull behind knuckle boom trailer but in the woods this is so slick to just back up to the felled tree and reach out and grab a 8'-6" log curl it up and go .  I dont have any extra hydraulics but I suppose I could tap into a line somewhere but really no need if even I could remove the backhoe bucket and make a little pallet fork of some kind for it to get under downed log minus all the dirt ?   

I can then have a log on front bucket and a log on backhoe and boogie from the woods to the mill? Thanks
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Ironwood

Uncle buck,

If you are going to the hassle of the remotes and thumb, put the thumb ON THE SIDE of the bucket. When curled the thumb would pivot down and contact the wrist pin of the bucket making it a little more out of the way and enabling you to drag a, say 16' log with the direction of travel of the backhoe. The main pivot of the thumb would be down at  the lower arm of the hoe (not attached to the bucket) and when enabled would then contact the wrist pin. SHOOT, if the hoe is big put one on each side with two remotes. Nestle the bucket between the two log ends and then hit the remotes.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

UNCLEBUCK

Good idea Reid ,thanks !  Been looking through atleast one members photo gallery every day from beginning to end and I must say you have alot of neat hydraulic gizmos !  Last night I went through Nobles whole farm and he didnt even hear me !  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Tom

The best choice would be the replacement of the bucket with a tool you build to do the job.  Forks and curling the log in the bucket keep the log at a 90 to the road and you will need a wi-i-de  road or a lot of maneuvering.

One of the handiest things I've found to attach to my backhow has been locking chain hooks.

I have one welded to the back of my hoe bucket, up toward the pin.   I can hook a 1 or 2 ft. piece of chain on it and hang a skid hook from it to handle logs.   If I hook the log closer to the tractor than the middle, and lift a little, the front of the log will come off of the ground.  Then, if I curl the bucket out a little bit, it will push the front of the log down and lift the back of the log.  If the log isn't too big, I can drive to the mill with the log sticking out behind me.  A movement of the boom lets me go around sharp corners.  This takes a good stout chain and I use those really tough ones that the car-haulers use.  I pick one up every time I see it on the side of the road. :D

A good thing about the hook on the hoe bucket is that it makes it easier to use a longer chain to get equipment unstuck or pull a log from a wet spot by letting you  use your hydraulics rather than the tire pulling power of the tractor.

A single chain on the hoe bucket will swivel and let you swap ends with logs at the mill too.   Just hook it at the balance point and one person can push it around with one finger.

I have a handy one on the front of the tractor too.   It is right in the middle and on top of the loader bucket.  Some buckets need a little support if you put one there because the metal might be a little thin.   I hang that same short-chained skid hook on the front bucket and roll the bucket all the way forward.  Then I attach the skid hook to the middle of a log and lift the bucket just enough to set the hooks.  Next I roll the bucket back and lower it at the same time so that the skid hook pulls the log up against the bucket sides and the blade of the bucket goes under the log some.  this lets me pick up a huge log with the bucket and minimize the amount of strain on the chain and skid hook.  They are just holding the log on the bucket.   It also  makes it easier to carry a log cross-wise because their are two contact points on the log and it won't swing from side to side.

Topper

I had a thought, you could rig a u shaped holder on one of the out riggers and leave it partially down to hold one end of the log and then hold the other end with the attachment idea mentioned above or a chain. That would let you haul a really long log.  Just a thought.

Jim

Thank You Sponsors!