iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green White Oak - Washington or Oregon

Started by timothy, September 20, 2006, 05:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timothy

Greetings.  I'm new to this forum and need some advice.  My son and I are refurbishing a 65 foot trawler in Port Townsend, Washington.  We need to replace 34 ribs, each 12 feet long and 3" x 3" wide/thick, in green white oak.  To our surprise, many Seattle area lumber yards do not have such in stock, and those that do carry this item are very expensive.  Can anyone direct us to a reliable and reasonable supplier?  Also, as you have probably already deduced, the wood needs to be knot-free and straight grained so we may steam and bend it to conform (i.e., sister)  them to the frame.  Thanks for all your help, as we're new to this type of undertaking.

beenthere

Any oaks in the NW (left coast) that you think would fit the bill? 
I doubt it, so you will be looking for this in the eastern part of the US or Canada. To get the clear, straight grain it will have to be a high quality log, like near veneer grade. Being as you want it green, that means using it soon after the log is sawn, I believe. Maybe sawing the log and dipping the sticks in anchorseal for bundling and shipping would suffice for your use. A good part of each log will not be useable for these clear, straight-grain sticks. Likely just the outer surface area of a log is usable.

What percentage over the 34 sticks needed would you allow for breakage (steaming, bending, failure)?

What $$ would you be willing to invest to get 34 sticks that are made into the ribs?  I suppose if they warp some then it means you don't have to steam bend them as much.  :)

Supplying these white oak green sticks is going to be a fair amount of special attention to tree/log selection and sawing, then wrapping and shipping to supply what you want.

But, you came to a great resource to find out if someone knows of a supplier or can do it for you. Hang tight.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tlooney

I know the feeling on this. I have been trying to fill an order for a customer for green no knots straight grained white oak lumber for a month now and I have yet to cut a board that matches that description. I cut into a log that on the outside looks nice and smooth no knots but when I cut into the log one side of the board will have what I want and the other has knots >:(. Craziest thing I have ever seen, also very frustrating.
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

solodan

Quote from: beenthere on September 20, 2006, 06:23:10 PM
Any oaks in the NW (left coast) that you think would fit the bill? 
I doubt it,

Yes we have white oak in California, Oregon and Washington.  I have never sawed any, cause they don't grow at my elevation, but they do grow down the hill and all up and down the coast. We only have one white oak here, which is Quercus garryana, or Garry oak, or Oregon white oak. wood characteristics are supposed to be similar to other white oaks, but I don't know first hand. Timothy, do you have a mill? Have you talked to the tree services in your area? It should be easy to come by for free, as white oak has little or no comercial value on the west coast in the form of timber. This does not mean that the timber is useless though. Call everyone in your area that owns a mill.

Left Coast Chris

Two bad I did'nt know about your need two months ago.  I had very large white oak logs that I cut to 9' and cut into 5/4 X 6" mostly and some 4X8 and a couple of 6X12 for mantles.    Not getting anymore logs right now.  If I do I will hollar.

California Valley Oak (white oak) timbers:

The log they came from:

Unfortunately we cut them at 9' long for furnature.

They are around.......

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

solodan

Yeah that's right, valley oak is a white oak also, :) and they get fairly large. I don't think they grow up in Washington, you may have to look to California for a large valley oak. Actually blue oak grows out here as well, which is a white oak, but usually too small to get much straight lumber from.
Farmer that is some nice looking lumber. 8) How big was that log that little dog is on?

rpg52

Hi,
I haven't delt with any, but I've been told the Valley Oak, Quercus lobata, while a true white oak, does not make strong timber.  The Oregon Oak, Quercus garryana is supposed to be the equivalent of the eastern species.  (i.e. strong, rot resistant, etc.)  Another possiblility is the Canyon Live Oak, Quercus chrysolepis (aka Goldcup Oak, Maul Oak, etc., etc.)  While not very common anywhere, it is wide spread.  It is very tough, once used for wagons, wheels, and ships!  I'm not sure how well it bends though.  Good luck.\
Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

Left Coast Chris

Solo...... the log is 48" at the but.   Not sure of the possible uses of the lumber or if it is suitable for ship building.   It seems to be strong........... it is somewhat tempermental for drying like any oak.   I would imagine that one of the challenges is to get clear straight grain since they can branch off low.   There are some huge ones around that do have straight grain (like the one in the pic)............ just have to be patient :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

mur

Hello timothy:
Welcome to the Forum.  Good luck in finding the stock you are looking for to complete your project.  I have a boat builder friend who is constantly searching for quality wood - it never comes cheap as the folks who are manufacturing it know the quality and price ratios.  I don't work with white oak but I get calls for "clear white" wood, no knots, stain or colour - in one of the woods I work with - aspen.  And then people are stunned with the price I want (need?) because only one board out of every 500 I manufacture, will make their requirements.  And I have three different cabinet makers asking me for that same board.  Nobody fights over my "junk" boards though.  I make what I can out of them and some boards I only get some BTU's out of as they go into the Outdoor Boiler.  So, those top end boards have to pay for the bottom boards.
Hope this explains some of the reason why nobody has the wood in stock and the probability of a high price when you do find someone who will take your order.  Specialty woods cost money to make.  You can't find wood like you need at the local building supply store.  Good luck in your searching. 
Don't dream it, be it.

rpg52

Farmer 77
I have no experience with the Valley Oak, although I was raise in the Central Valley and there was a lot of it around.  It might make some nice trim or paneling though.  All the references I've looked in say that although it is heavy and hard, it isn't very strong and rots quickly. 

Timothy, I think you need to find someone who can mill some Oregon Oak - it grows from B.C. to Calif. in the inland valleys along the coast.  Like Mur says, you'll likely pay top dollar for clear, straight grained stuff.  What's your alternative?  As the saying goes, boats are holes in the water into which you pour your money.  My sympathy but that may be the best you can do.
Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

Thank You Sponsors!