iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

205 timberjack info

Started by treefarmer87, March 21, 2012, 12:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer87

found a 205 tj for $2500 ready to go. Does anybody have any info on these. It says it has good tires and runs good
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Corley5

I'd be jumping on it for $2,500 bucks. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Does sound cheap,too cheap,but sometimes they need money and want to sell it fast. I'm not a skidder man,but for that much even if you have to put a couple 1000 into it's still a good buy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jocco

Some had ford diesel and light rockwell p 50 planateries Not the best set up but usable.
You may check out but you will never leave

treefarmer87

it has a 4 cyl ford deisel  and a braden winch.  the tires are good too. The guy also has a case 600 skidder. The winch needs a little work
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

jocco

At those prices you cannot go wrong if they move wood question is  is it acceptable to you If you had to use it every day to make a living with is it what you want. You can get parts just might have to dig a bit.

jd540b

Don't want to rain on the parade.....but.....I think you get what you pay for (to an extent) if I paid $2500 for a skidder I would expect to be fixing it.  I'd rather pay the money for something that will work, especially if it is going to be making my living.  Doesn't take too many days of downtime and you can eat up a few grand in lost time easy enough.  Everything needs fixing, it's just a matter of how much fixing.  Just my 2 cents.......don't make a "knee jerk" purchase-especially during mudseason when time is on your side. :) 

log cutter

So other than a motor ,what shape is your machine in?
Timbco 475E

Autocar

I agree with Jd549B a fellow has to remember that a set of skidder tires cost more then there asking for the whole machine. If you seat down with a dealer would they or could they work a payment plan out with you where you could get a more reliable machine. It looks to me that your pulling pretty good size logs maybe you need to look for a C6 Treefarmer or a 360 Timberjack and not work the machine as hard as when you using a C4 or a 205. If I was closer to you I would come over and help you wrench on your skidder to get you back in the woods  ;D Don't get discouraged, Bill
Bill

lumberjack48

I leased my skidders with option to buy, just like renting to own. It was the only way i'd buy a piece of equipment, their reliable for any break downs. I have never seen a dealer that didn't have a lease plan.

I would have had the motor out of your machine the same day it happened. If the block is all right, a rebuild kit is $650., a good used head, 3 to 600, a guy has to get on the ph and start pull at straws on till the ole girls up an running. Look at it this way tf87 that ole girl needs you more then ever, she isn't worth much with out a motor. Your working with one of the easiest motor to replace or fix, like Bill said don't get discouraged. If i was on my feet or closer i'd be right there to help.
There are 353 Detroits setting all over, a guy just has to find them. If you do find one make sure it turns the right way, theres a left hand and a right hand.
Heres one place to call, i've got parts from them, they all so have connections with others.

http://www.sewlparts.com/Default.aspx

http://www.skidderbuncherparts.com/parts-machines.html#toter
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

treefarmer87

I agree. You get what you pay for. I found 2 170 franklins and a 648g i am going to look at tomm. The c5 needed center pins steering bushing. The winch was pretty bad too. Then the motor went. I think i need a bigger machine i usually cut larger timber anyway. 
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

saltydog

Buy it .its worth more than that if it works 2 weeks.When i started in the woods everybody told me you cant make money with that old equipment.BULL.Most of them have went under.Most of them that do have new equipment struggle to make it,Or there second generation and were born into the business.NOT ALL OF THEM. some have started from scratch if you can fix your own stuff youll make it.One of my tree farmers cost me 5000 bucks.needed a motor ,It  has  skidded over 1000 cords of wood in a month.Hardwood pulp was over 100 bucks a cord that winter.No payments .I made some good  money.Just try to make a living let everyone  else polish there chrome and  go pay the bank every month.Wood prices drop go fishin.dont forget you can put almost any motor trans combo in your tree farmer .Not tryin to give anyone a hard time just my opinion.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

road_monkey

fyi... I just picked up a sweet running 353 for my franklin for $1500, just gotta change the bell housing for my application.

treefarmer87

i was wrong one is a 170 90 model with a 453 and the other is a 94 c7 with a cummins. They are both in good shape
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

jocco

Tree farm: i do not know your situatiuon, but a few thoughts If you are cutting lots of wood full time  (big wood, long skids) those larger newer machines are the way to go. If you are semi retired on your own lot or doing odd jobs (house lots) the 205 would be ok. An additional thought if you have a shop and are mecanically minded you can pick up those machines fix them up and re sell, some times you can do good some times you can get burnt. You may do a small lot along the way too. There are areas where cable machines sell well and others not so. ;D

lumberjack48

TF87, this is the size machines your looking for. Franklin build their first C7 back in 91. What tran are they running ?
I think you would rather be pulling wood then wrenching on old iron, just my thoughts. I think i would like the C7.

You should lease for a couple months to make sure there are no hidden surprises. When i took a Co. contract, i had to have a machine that was going to pull xx wood every month. That was the first think they asked, do you have a reliable skidder. I went to International Harvester dealer, they had a 76 S8, 4 yrs old, it was their demo skidder, $32000. I leased it, $1500. a month, $1125. went toured the down pyt. if i decided to
buy it.
My first job was a long skid, the wife was driving it, i could tell something wasn't right with the motor [353] So i took the next drag, it went like a cat with turpentine on its butt, the governor wasn't working. I ran in to town to given a call to send a mechanic out [ no cell phs back then] they told me to just run it, don't worrie about it. I told-em over an over that the motor would blow up. So back to the job, i told the wife what they'd said, she said its their skidder, they want use to run it, then we'll run it. On the 4th day she blew up, off to town to call with the bad news. I told them what happed, that it was half way to the landing broke down. They told me they'd be there about noon the next day with a new skidder [bran new]. They came with a new skidder, dragged the old one out of the woods, pushed it on the low-boy. Then i asked what was going to happen, the truck driver says, use that new one on till we get this one fixed. The next-ed week hes back with it, i said that didn't take long. He told me the motor was junk, they put a completely new motor in it, and as long as they had it they changed fluids and checked everything out, it was good to go now. I think it was done a little backwards, but that was their business. I basically got a new skidder.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

treefarmer87

im not sure. waitin on the man to call back. The guy that referred me said they are in good shape. I can prob get the one with the cummins for 6 or 7000
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!