iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold weather stop you sawyers?

Started by welderskelter, December 28, 2018, 11:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bratzsman

hey Guys first time responding. The cold does not bother me but will it bother a chain saw mill?  I have purchased a granberg mini mill and I plan on milling this winter. Does anyone have a suggestion for cold weather chainsaw milling?

Southside

Quote from: Andries on January 02, 2019, 10:57:32 PMIts a wheat or corn field in summer.

Corn??  That far north, wow.  How long is the growing season up your way?  I was not sure if it was a lake or big meadow possibly.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

welderskelter

Got to almost 40 here today. Should have sawed but had other errands to run.

John Bartley

Not so much the cold (I mill down to about -10'C, then it's no fun), but the snow ... is just starting for the year.  We have three months of it ahead and here's what it looks like now ::

Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

alan gage

Looks to be a consensus for once. Cold weather does stop everyone from milling.....but everyone has a different idea of what too cold is.

I thought I was done milling for the season but we've had a few days of unseasonably warm weather (lower 40's and sunshine) so I pulled it back out to do a little milling. There's one big red oak I'd like to do today but it won't be quite as pleasant. Cloudy, mid-30's, and a very strong east wind, which I have no protection from. We'll see how ambitious I feel once I get down there.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

John Bartley

Quote from: alan gage on January 06, 2019, 10:11:14 AM
Looks to be a consensus for once. Cold weather does stop everyone from milling.....but everyone has a different idea of what too cold is.

I thought I was done milling for the season but we've had a few days of unseasonably warm weather (lower 40's and sunshine) so I pulled it back out to do a little milling. There's one big red oak I'd like to do today but it won't be quite as pleasant. Cloudy, mid-30's, and a very strong east wind, which I have no protection from. We'll see how ambitious I feel once I get down there.

Alan
For making the weather seem cold, there's nothing like a strong wind, especially when the air is damp.  I'd rather cut at -10'C in a sunny calm day than at +10'C in windy damp weather.   My mill yard is enclosed by tall spruce and poplars, so all I normally get is a bit of a breeze, usually at my back to take away the sawdust.  I'm lucky!
cheers
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

John Bartley

This is what we do instead of sawing when it gets too cold ... different equipment ... different working conditions.  The river has a bit of slush on it so we run the machines over it a few times to mix it up.  Then it'll freeze and the civilians can walk from the camp to the river to fish ::

Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Andries

Looks good John.
Milling, fishing or whatever.
It's all good unless the slush gets your feet wet.
Be cool - stay warm!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

4x4American

-20 F before wind chill is too cold to be worthwhile to run.  Found that out last winter..Anything above 0F in the morning we'll run.  -10 in the morning and we'll let the equipment warm up for a good long while whilst drinking coffee in the pickup 
Boy, back in my day..

GullyBog

It's rarely too cold to saw where I live.  The wind can push it over the top though.  For years I tailed on an LT40 with an air cooled engine and if the wind stripped enough heat off it wouldn't run long.  My least favorite days are around 33 degrees and misty.  All in all the climate here is mild, several days in the teens is what I call a hard winter.  So far it's looking like a long fall might turn into spring this time.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

esteadle

Tom the Sawyer

Not a fan of cold weather, you put a couple of feet of snow in front of the mill and I'll just stay inside.  We got 7" over the weekend, temps at or below freezing all week (no melting) and another storm forecast for this weekend.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Thank You Sponsors!