iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Honoring our veterans

Started by doc henderson, January 06, 2019, 05:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I thought I would see what you are all doing to honor our vets and police.  I was making a wood engraving of a neighbors father (in his 80s) and his honorable d/c.  It has his dd214 on the back.  It had yellowed and had a paperclip mark.  We scanned it in at 600 dpi and my Daughter Monique fixed it up in photoshop.  The big one in for him, and there are smaller ones for each of his 8 kids (in their 50s)

The finish is satin but this is just after a coat of poly.  He has a birthday later this month,  12x15 inches
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

wow, that looks pretty! Such service we shall never fully appreciate the sacrifice involved. My Dad served in the Philippines. My Brother in Viet Nam. Both gone now.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

In our family, we have 3 boys. now we all have a copy.  I have an honor wall in my shop with dad and uncles.  I made another as a memorial to a friend who teaches USAR, his son was a medic in army reserves but deployed and died for our country.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

goose63

From a tired old Veteran thank you @doc henderson  this a great thing you have done
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

doc henderson

Thank you for sticking your neck out for all of us.  what branch were you in, if I may ask.  I have received many handshakes and a few tears in return.

doc henderson

The Coleman co. is big in Wichita, Ks so When I heard about the Coleman Veterans Memorial on FF, I looked it up.  Stunning statues remembering our fallen men.  Of course it is in Coleman, MI.  Thanks to all who help with that.  My brother Bruce is not a vet, but the VFW in his town is shot short on vets young enough, so he is a member of their rifle team representing in parades, and honoring the veterans at their funerals.  He is a member of the auxiliary.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lxskllr

Those are really nice. Good looking memorials. I haven't done much of anything aside from giving money to vet groups outside of walmart. My father served in Los Alamos during the war. I also had two uncles in the European theatre, and another in Korea. My brother was in the Navy, and was aboard the Nimitz during the failed Operation Eagle Claw to free the hostages in Iran.

When I was in high school I intended on enlisting in the Army, and went as far as contacting a recruiter(big mistake!) and taking the ASVAB test. My intention was to be career military. I kind of cooled off on the idea, and didn't join. I sometimes regret it cause I'd now have a military pension, and VA benefits, but I wouldn't have been a good fit in the military. I despise bureaucracy, and I don't accept "just cause..." as a reason to do anything, regardless of who's asking.

edit:
Oh, and my mother was civil service on an Army base, and she sometimes felt sorry for the troops away from home, and I was tasked with entertaining them on occasion. Go bowling, or whatever. Not like it was work or anything. I met some cool people.

Greyman

This is not really helping vets per se, but honoring and continuing the tradition.  My son joined the Army as an officer (PhD in Psychology).  He's been working at VA hospitals for several years  with addiction, PTSD, etc. etc.  A few months ago he graduated from BOLC (Basic Officer Leadership Course) and my mother and brothers agreed that we should present him with my father's Bronze Star, Infantry badge, and Purple Heart.  My dad would be proud. 

doc henderson

I am sure your dad is proud and so should you be.  Congrats, and you deserve a bit of credit for raising a good son.  He may not be carrying a gun on the front lines but prob. saving and improving many lives of those who have.  The military is not for everyone, and many people contribute in other ways to the nation and their own communities.  I am sure we all agree that we just cannot take for granted those who have served.

thecfarm

Greyman,you should be proud to have a son like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Good on ya Doc. My part to honor fellow veterans is flag display cases.
Lost count of how many I have given away to families of deceased vets. I make them in batches of oiled walnut. I did accept a gift of a nice walnut log to be turned into more cases. This is a pic of one I did for our own Mr Tom. @Jeff can explain Mr Tom. Forestry forum logo etched in the glass. A neighbor who has a laser engraver burns the name on the base. 

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

doc henderson

Very nice piney. My dad bought a "stack of wood" at auction before I was born.  I used a bit on projects over the years and we have just enough left to make a case for his flag.  He was always proud of that purchase since no one knew it was walnut.  Do you have plans you would want to share? This is part of why Walnut is my favorite wood.

goose63

Quote from: doc henderson on January 06, 2019, 06:27:11 PM
Thank you for sticking your neck out for all of us.  what branch were you in, if I may ask.  I have received many handshakes and a few tears in return.
Army 68/71  Mco. 3/11 A.C.R Viet Nam 69/71
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

doc henderson

glad you are still with us goose.  Thanks again!

doc henderson

I hope you returned to a part of the country that still respected military service.  If not, you are now part of a community that as far as I can see, respects you greatly.  i was not in the military but as mentioned,uncles and dad were.  Not everyone wants to share their story, but if you are ok with it , can you elaborate a little on the gov. abbreviations in your post.  God bless buddy!  i.e. mco, acr.  looks like you were in country.

Pulphook

Nice work all.
FYI:  I belong to Bugles Across America ( Bugles Across America > Home ). We honor deceased veterans by sounding live Taps.
Military branches do provide recorded Taps for funerals with or without an honor guard.
But it it a sounding of live Taps that does the real honor.
There is never any fee. The family must request one of us buglers through the organisation throughout all states. Most buglers are vets, but many are not.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

doc henderson

gspren

I also thank you and anyone that helps to honor us veterans and current military. I was Navy from Jan 1970 thru Dec 1973 and was patrolling the coast of Viet Nam late 70 to mid 71 on an old "Tin Can" destroyer. Nowadays when I wear my VN veteran hat I get lots of thank you's and welcome home's, so much of the public is trying to do right.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doc henderson

with all the senseless police shooting/murders, I thought I would throw this in.  About a month ago and more since, two police officers were killed.  My team at work and I were having our Christmas brunch the next morning.  Since our shift is noon to midnight.  I went up to pay and there was a sheriff deputy with his wife and about 4 y/o girl getting ready to pay ahead of me.  I could not help but think it could be this mom and daughter missing him today or tomorrow.  I offered to pay and he tried to refuse, and I found myself nudging and pushing him out of my way so I could buy their breakfast.  Wanted the wife and poss. the daughter to understand how much we depend and appreciate law enforcement, and the risk they are willing to take everyday.

gspren

When I see uniformed police in a convenience store or gas station I always try to thank them for their service, I was in the combat zone for less than a year and some of them are in a combat zone for their entire career.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doc henderson

I was 13 when you got out.  let me say now, "welcome home gspren".!

Pulphook

Reminder:
Posted before -- Bugles Across America ( online ), our group of mostly Vets  sound live Taps to honor deceased Veterans.
If you hear or know a memorial, church service, or burial of a vet in your area, notify the family that we will do live Taps for them.
There is no fee. The request has to be through the Bugles Across America website to a local volunteer in all states.
Federal and state military organizations ( Reserves or National Guard ) don't usually offer a live bugler, but have recorded units.
Having sounded Taps over many years for all branches, it always has a powerful effect on the family and friends; an honor.
Spread the word.
Thanks.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

doc henderson

I just got my copy of my Dad's DD214.  Made me feel proud.  Hard to read due to photo copy of different record source due to a fire back in 1976.  It is administered by the National archives, so if any family is interested in records, do it soon in case there are future catastrophic events.  It took about 4 months.  I assume now things will be digital.  My dad enlisted in 54 age 19.  He was a Army Military policemen stationed in Hawaii,  He was on a "colonels rifle team",  Honorable d/c in 57.  I was born in 1960.  My dad has been gone 10 years.  I did not hear a lot about his mil. experience but had a bit to do with the way I was raised.  My dad once told me, "the only men I fought were our own, they were either drinking, or gambling, or both"  My dad would not drink as I grew up, only moderation later.  He would play cards but not for money.  Gentlemen, this kind of puts it in perspective for me. God bless America.

Thank You Sponsors!