iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hauling logs

Started by steve phillips, July 10, 2012, 09:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve phillips

howdy all
i was just wondering  , i want to use my trailer to haul logs . any thing i need to do before i start this. im thinking winch , winch holder (lol) ramps .  any input is welcomed   
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

Magicman

My setup.

Load um up.

Loading a bigun.

This is gonna hurt.

A valid suggestion was made last week about adding a couple of old tires in the trailer to soften the blow.  This Red Oak log had a 42" butt.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_S.

Use the search engine and research the Dang-Deadheader log loader.
Here is a link to a follow up thread but I am pressed for time and didn't find the original thread on the loader.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,17613.0.html
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

kelLOGg

Mine is similar to MM.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chris Burchfield

I have a two tier trailer hitch.  Lower is for the trailer, upper is for the Warn 9500TI winch.  Loader (similar to Dangs) mounts on the ramp pins.  I use a log chain to stop it when it's hanging off the back.  I come off the winch, through a snatch block on the loader then down to the log.  When I retrieve the log.  The end of the log will lift till it contacts the loader.  At this point the loader will rock forward.  When the loader hits the down legs as forward stops, I lower the end of the log to the trailer.  I can then get another bite and bring the log on up.  I have two steel farm equipment wheel I can use in the pivot holes at the back, a swivel wheel on the front and a cross bar I can lift the end of the log.  By lifting one end of the log I can drag the log to the trailer. 

Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

crtreedude

Much of our moving of logs is done with a team of oxen, complete with horns. Logs up to 20 inches in diameter are lifted by the oxen with their horns - the first time you see it you really are amazed.

We have one yoke of oxen right now, I do need another pair is a year or so. I bought my first yoke for 2,000 dollars, and they are into their 3rd yoke, which might be the mature one - they grew out of the other two.

I have seen that yoke of oxen move logs that a tractor couldn't.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

bandmiller2

I seldom move logs because I don't have to.I have a single axle tilt bed steel trailer with a beefy headgear,just pull them on with a comealong.Handy tip,lashing logs down for transport is sometimes a problem.I took four square top truck "U" bolts that straddle the trailer frame with a bar on the bottom.The bolts drop down flush when not needed then pull up to chain and bind the load. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

kelLOGg

Quote from: crtreedude on July 11, 2012, 07:34:55 AM
I have seen that yoke of oxen move logs that a tractor couldn't.

Got pix? That would be interesting.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

rmack

how about unloading the logs when you get home?

just tie them to something solid and drive out from underneath them?
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Bogue Chitto

If you don't have sides or fenders on your trailer you can roll them off the side.  I park on the side of a hill, release the binders and let them go.  But, be careful, get far out of the way. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When ever I haul logs, no matter how large or small.....I always and ALWAYS have a 4x4 under the front and back of the log. This gives me room to get a chain or strap wrapped around the log to either lift it off the trailer or to tie it off and drag it off the trailer.

I have customers to this day that still PACK their trailer with logs, wedging them down between the side boards making it impossible to to get a strap around them because the logs are flat on the trailer floor. Even if I used TONGS it would be hard to get a bite on these wedged logs.

I have sometimes got so DanG frustrated, I just hook the trailer to the backhoe bucket, pick the trailer up in the air and shake it like a rag doll until the logs come loose.

Grrrrrrrrr.......No what I mean?  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Slingshot

Here is what I use:

Bogue Chitto

I like that Charles.  Good idea.

Magicman

Quote from: rmack on July 11, 2012, 09:07:56 AM
how about unloading the logs when you get home? 
OK, so I cheat when unloading.   ;D

That old Oliver cost less than 4K and has been so handy that it makes me think that I  am ridin' a gravy train on biscuit wheels.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodey

I started out rolling them over the side like magicman. Then I busted out my trailer floor when the logs hit. Before I had the proper equipment to unload them I tied a chain to one end and the other end to a big tree and drove forward. That worked good but I did not put anything under them and pull the back end out of my trailer.

Now I installed a set of gym poles on the back of my lowboy trailer and winch them up on the trailer. Works good. When I get them to the mill unload them with my forklift.

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

MHineman

I've got a gooseneck flatbed trailer.  The flat part is 20 feet with a 4 foot dovetail.  The ramps are standup so they do not get in the way of the logs.

I load small to medium size logs with my tractor forks. 

For bigger logs I use the ramps I made.  The ramps are 2" by 4" 3/16" thick steel.  I cut the steel at 8 feet with an angle to match the rub bars to the ground at 8 feet out, then welded two 5/16" chain hooks.  The hooks slide on the rub bars.

I pull the log along side the trailer, then move the tractor around and push it up the ramps.

I have 4 by 4 cants on the floor to allow the logs to roll easy and get forks under to unload. 

I also made stakes to go in the stake holder out of 1 1/2" by 3" steel.  I think it is 11 gauge.  A piece of metal pipe is welded about 6 inches from the bottom to keep the stakes from sliding through.

I've loaded 20 foot by 30"+ logs with a 40 hp tractor this way.

I get home, remove the stakes on the downhill side, put a 4 x 4 in front of the logs to control it's exit, take the chains off, then remove the 4 x 4 with a stick or rope.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

kelLOGg

Quote from: Slingshot on July 11, 2012, 09:26:24 AM

Here is what I use:

What size ram is that?
Bob

Slingshot

The ram on the boom is an 8-ton from HF.
The winch on top is a 3700 lb Warn, also good for
dragging logs to the trailer.

sandhills

crtreedude I'd also like to see pictures, a video would be really cool  ;).

Indiana Robinson

I would absolutely kill to have my old wrecker back for snaking and loading logs...

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

steve phillips

howdy all
wow ask a question in this place and you will get replies lol
i like to thank all for their input really means a lot ty
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

Ironwood

I have "graduated" several times to a small 550 logging truck for close and easy grabs, IF I were starting out I would do two things, LOG ARCH, and Fla. DeadHeader log lifter. That is one INEXPENSIVE and slick set up. I have tried all sorts of stuff, I was "parbuclking" and didnt even know there was a name for it,

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

thechknhwk

I just looked thru 397 DanG photos and didn't see any pics of this dead header log loader. DanG!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Now that was interesting.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!