iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Madison, Wisconsin

Started by Crusarius, April 28, 2017, 12:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

So my wife has a conference in Madison Wisconsin. We will be there from July 23-29 2017. Anybody know of anything fun to do? or anyone fun to meet?

Will be driving from Canadice NY.

Wife will be in conferences some of the time so I will be stuck with the 2 year old till she is done.

I have no idea how I am going to be able to handle this. But I have been looking forward to  a road trip for quite a while.

sawguy21

You are really gouing to appreciate her when this is over. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bluthum

The capitol building is a very interesting place. Amazing woodwork and marble in there. Also it is perched smack between 2 good sized lakes. The university is right there too. Ever hear of the Forests Products Lab?

I'm not a town guy but this one is pretty cool.

pineywoods

Few miles east is Oshkosh. Airport there is the world's busiest during that week. Usually 10,000+ airplanes, if it might fly, it's there. 3 hour airshow every day.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Crusarius

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 28, 2017, 02:01:31 PM
You are really gouing to appreciate her when this is over. ;D

I already do :) but I know you are 1 million percent correct :)

Crusarius

Thanx everyone for all the great ideas. the Airshow sounds awesome. My wife and I are really big into architecture so that sounds great to.

oh so much to do, so little time. Lots of research.

Keep it coming :)

pineywoods

If you are into that sort of thing, one of the 2 airworthy B29 bombers in the world will be on display...Everything from hang gliders to heavy bombers..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

pabst79

If you want to get out of the city 30-40 miles, and you like architecture, you should definitely visit House on the Rock. It was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, kinda spendy to get in, but it's pretty weird and worth it. On the way there or on the way back, Cave of the mounds is worth stopping at, easy walking cave tours are fun. If your staying downtown, a few blocks south there is a Zoo, Henry Vilas Zoo, kids always enjoy that place.   
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Crusarius

Always love architecture. Almost had a job working at Taliesin West (Frank Lloyd right company).

Looks like I have a lot of planning to do. thanx everyone for your feedback. This forum is awesome.

Don P

Taliesin east is in Spring Green.  The mistake on the lake is another of FLW's designs right down from the capitol. (Michelle just reminded me it's name is Minona Terrace). Downtown is quite walkable and nice, there is also a big farmers market. The UW Arboretum is nice. There's a dinner theater in Ft Atkinson. Friday night fish fry just about anywhere is good.

Edit, Did Wright design House on the Rock, I thought the owner did?

Crusarius

Wright did not it was alex something that did that one. Still pretty kool though.

pabst79

Yep, I always think House on the Rock was FLW, but it was that Jordan fella. The infinity room itself is almost worth the trip. Circus World Museum up in Baraboo is a short drive, also a really cool place. Then there is the WI Dells, great if you like water parks, thousands of people and everything to be over priced  :D.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Crusarius

So, it looks like the wife is in seminars all day Tuesday 7/25. Wednesday we will be going to the children's museum with my cousin, Thursday she is in seminars half the day.

So it looks like I need to find something to do Tuesday and some of Thursday. I will have the 2 year old with me so it is going to be quite challenging.

Crusarius

There is a free zoo and beech real close to where we are staying that may end up being thursday morning.

Right now I am trying to figure out if I pay tolls all the way to WI or if I go through canada. Not sure what makes the more sense. Any opinions?

Grizzly

Go through CANADA!!! Lots of great people here.  ;D  (just like most of USA)

I have run most of the toll roads from Beloit,IL through to the east side of NY by truck and found travel to be good but I don't know cost for a car. I hate Chicago but actual travel time really isn't that bad.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Crusarius

Grizzly how far away are you? You may be the perfect midway point :)

Grizzly

Well.......if you take the scenic route. I'm way up in what's called northern Saskatchewan. Waaayyy off your route. But your gladly welcome.

It would only add 2550 miles onto your travels!  Noticed Batavia when I googled your location. Delivered a new Versatile tractor there in summer of 1998.

Crusarius

I would like to visit up there one day. I really want to drive to AK one day to. I been up there twice already. Didn't get enough.

Crusarius

Well heading out tomorrow morning. Looks like taking 86 out of NY and getting on 90 in PA. to 294 in IL. hmm looks like it turns back into 90.

Apparently I am taking 90 the entire way. thats at least the plan now.

Crusarius

Yea, batavia is only bout 40 minutes from home.

Crusarius

I think right now the plan is to go straight to madison grabbing a room for the night somewhere in the middle. then on the way home stop and visit ppl. anybody want me to visit?

I do have all day tuesday and the morning of thursday I am going to have to entertain myself and a 2 year old boy. I have no idea how I am going to do that.

Grizzly

I had my dad to show me how when he had my older nephews, but this I learned from him. Entertaining children is easy. Very easy, but requires a humility. When I am with little children those family that are with me say how embarrassed they are but the little children and those watching are having a good time. Get down on your hands and knees someday and check out how our world looks like to a little child. It's awesome and very entertaining. We just gotta relax and play along like we're not much older. Sorry for preaching but little ones are so easy. Not like teenagers!! Anyway, enjoy your time with your lad. It'll never repeat itself.

Crusarius

Grizzly thanx for the advice. I have done that before. One of the best things to give a kid is a cheap digital camera. It's amazing some of the things they take pictures of.

thecfarm

A 2 year old!!
Got a ball and a place to roll-throw it? Playground? Just walk. I had a niece and I use to take her for about 4-5 hours on Saturday. I could even bring her back dirty.  ;D That took a while for Mom to understand the dirty part. Man,couldn't she talk on that age.  ;D  I use to tell her,You just talk to hear yourself talk.   ;D    But she and I had alot of fun. I really just let her do what she wanted,as long as she could not get hurt,and she had fun with me and I had fun with her. She could ask some questions too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

My DIL and son use a phone app something like Road Trip or such and they have enjoyed what it has presented to them.

Thank You Sponsors!