iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just sawing in the rain (Pics added!!!)

Started by brdmkr, February 25, 2006, 11:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I had a chance to saw up a big water oak log today 8).  It was 33" on the small end, but only 6 feet long.  Most of the boards came off really clear 8). 

We wound up with about 340 bdft 8).  Not bad for an hour and a half in the rain.  I also got to introduce a couple of friends to the joy of sawmilling.

I'll post pics as soon as I shrink them.  I shrunk them once, but not enough.  I forgot the size limits :(.  Should have them up tomorrow. 

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

jpgreen

That sound great.  Pics please!..  :)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Coon

That sounds great brdmkr.  How much did you teach them????  Did they worh their instructing off by tailing boards????? :D :D
Brad
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

DoubleD

Wannabe a sawmiller

brdmkr

Well here are the pics I promised.  Here is a shot of the first cut.  We were milling right on the side of highway 27.  We had quite a few spectaters.

Here is a picture of the log from the end.

Unfortunately the log was a bit short, but the calculator in the tool box still estimated its weight at 3300 lbs 8) 8)

Neither of these guys had seen the Lucas in action, so after I opened the log, they both had a try.  Here is Jim during his first 10 minutes sawing.

Here is Charlie giving it a run.

Finally, here is picture of the part of the slab.  I boxed the heart as there was a crack right in the center.  NONE of the other lumber was checked 8)

As I said, we ended the day with about 340 bdft, and a really nice piece that I plan to cut a slab from.   The wood is now under my shed with AnchorSeal on the ends.   Most of the boards were clear and only a few had any defects.  All of the boards were cut 5/4 x 6.

I noticed that a logger had moved a feller buncher and skidder over to our land today.  He is going to cut my pulp wood, remove the stumps, and cut down 4 really big oaks for my mill 8).  Now I need a place to dry the lumber before I can cut it up :o

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

getoverit

beautiful lumber from that log !!

Hope the slab turns out good for ya too. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

brdmkr

Thanks Getoverit,

The real miracle in all of it was that this was definately a 'yard tree' :(, I forgot my metal detector :o, and I did NOT hit metal 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!