iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging in Eastern Russia, North Korean Style

Started by jrdwyer, September 15, 2009, 10:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrdwyer

I thought someone might find this story and video interesting.

One thing I take from the video is that small diameter trees like white birch are perfect for mechanized harvesting.  It must be more expensive than what the North Korean government is paying its volunteer workers?

The other interesting thing is the job the reporter has. He is a traveling journalist and detective.

The rest of the stuff does not really surprise me in today's world.

Here is the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/8221164.stm

dmartin

whitepine

Did you notice the saws used must be to save on ones back ok for felling anyone seen anything like that sold here?

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

To me it brings to mind our itinerant workers allowed to come in illegally from Mexico. Slightly different, but not in principle.

The US Gov't looked seriously at importing the Russian spruce from Siberia to supply our housing dimension lumber markets, so we would not have to cut our own National Forests (to appease the enviro's against all timber cutting)

Not very good for our economy.

The N. Koreans are cheap labor.

Those chainsaws were a product of the Communist society, where the Gov't dictated the size and shape of all chainsaws manufactured. Competition didn't exist, and competition is needed to improve designs. Those saws are heavy, but they apparently get the job done.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

routestep

The South Koreans in Saudi Arabia were treated a little better than these North Koreans. They (S Koreans) got paid a little, but they didn't get killed in accidents either that I heard of. Of course they couldn't run away either or leave when they pleased, as there is no support system in the Kingdom for foreigners.

I suspect La Raza and the ACLU help Mexicans as necessary.

Thank You Sponsors!