iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain saw coil cleaning

Started by GlenM, February 01, 2010, 04:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenM

Have several saws to tear down and do some R & R.

Would it hurt to clean the coil by spraying copious amounts of brake cleaner on them??
thanks,

John Bartley

We clean them by removing the covers and the clutch drum, soaking them with a degreasing detergent, then spraying them with a pressure washer. We've been doing that for 20+ years - no problems - nice to work on afterwards....

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

GlenM

Thanks for prompt reply.
I just got through with removing a coil, used a plastic bristled parts brush to remove as much grime as I could, sprayed it with brake parts cleaner and blew dry.  Looks brand new.

I had thought about using your method for total saw cleaning.  I think if I plugged muff and carb (like doing a pressure test), I could run it through a car wash, but, I'm gonna use your method next.  Luckily, I have a total junk unit I can try it on.

Thanks,
g

GlenM

Took an old plastic Poulan 2150. plugged muff and carb, poured a little bit of old gas into the engine well, sprayed with engine degreaser, let unit sit for 5-10 mins.
Then used my air compressor siphon pressure washer and sprayed hot soapy water over all of the unit, twice.
Then blew dried best I could.
Don't look brand new, but can disassemble on kitchen table now, wife shouldn't mind, no greasy grime.
Thanks,

stonebroke

Your wife lets you work on chainsaws on the kitchen table?

Stonebroke

GlenM

Well,
Perhaps I exaggerated  :D

beenthere

Quote from: stonebroke on February 02, 2010, 01:26:40 PM

Stonebroke

Only if I run it through the dishwasher first.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stonebroke

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Stonebroke

JohnG28

I get flack just for putting saws in the laundry room in the basement, I think the kitchen table would push her right over the edge
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

timber tramp

Quote from: stonebroke on February 02, 2010, 01:26:40 PM

Stonebroke
Yep!             :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Thank You Sponsors!