Sponsors:

545 vs. 550xp

Started by woodchipper95, January 01, 2014, 05:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodchipper95

Quote from: SawTroll on January 07, 2014, 11:33:02 PM
Quote from: woodchipper95 on January 07, 2014, 09:57:24 PM
Quote from: tlandrum on January 07, 2014, 05:31:35 PM
if a 545 was ported and muff modded it would make ''more power'' than the stock 550xp.

What if just mm?

Then you would have to compare to a mm 550xp, and I know that one gains a lot (more than usual) from just that!
The 545 may not gain as much, as the transfers are less effective (less capasity).

if I was limbing id get a 550xp

SawTroll

Quote from: woodchipper95 on January 07, 2014, 11:44:12 PM

if I was limbing id get a 550xp

You are missing much of the fun then, but each to his own.....
Information collector.

H 2 H

Quote from: SawTroll on January 07, 2014, 11:33:02 PM
Quote from: woodchipper95 on January 07, 2014, 09:57:24 PM
Quote from: tlandrum on January 07, 2014, 05:31:35 PM
if a 545 was ported and muff modded it would make ''more power'' than the stock 550xp.

What if just mm?

Then you would have to compare to a mm 550xp, and I know that one gains a lot (more than usual) from just that!
The 545 may not gain as much, as the transfers are less effective (less capasity).

So you have been running 550 ?

The last time that question was ask you haven't ran a 550
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

SawTroll

Quote from: H 2 H on January 08, 2014, 02:46:14 AM

I haven't - it obviously is impossible to run all relevant saw models enough to really form an opinion on it - but I know who to trust , and who not to trust - so I don't have to do everything myself!  ;D

For you it is much simpler though, if it is a Stihl it is great regardless of the quality, performance and much more - if it isn't a Stihl it is no good, regardless!

I happen to like quite a few Stihl saws btw, but sadly none of the current ones!
Information collector.

H 2 H

Quote from: SawTroll on January 08, 2014, 02:54:31 AM
Quote from: H 2 H on January 08, 2014, 02:46:14 AM

I haven't - it obviously is impossible to run all relevant saw models enough to really form an opinion on it - but I know who to trust , and who not to trust - so I don't have to do everything myself!  ;D

For you it is much simpler though, if it is a Stihl it is great regardless of the quality, performance and much more - if it isn't a Stihl it is no good, regardless!

I happen to like quite a few Stihl saws btw, but sadly none of the current ones!

So that's why I own 5 different brands of chain saws

I see this is another thing like there are not any Stihl Dealers in you area

I think it's time for me to post some of your quotes

I'll be back  8)

Brian

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

SawTroll

I am not referring to the saws you own, but how you answer when someone asks a question about an obviously substandard Stihl saw! According to you, they are all "great", which obviously isn't true!
Anyway, I beat you with one brand then (yes, I have more than what I list in some sigs), but that hardly is the point!

There still isn't any full service Stihl dealers around here any more, that's a fact, regardless how you try to twist it.
There was two, but they are simply gone, and the somewhat remote hardware stores is all that is left. They do of course offer service if you ask, per Stihl policy, but is hard pressed to even put the bar on a saw they sell in the store. No carb adjustment check of course, with the sale.
Saws that need service or work is sent away, so you can't speak to the one that is going to do it - hardly satisfactory.
I understand it is about the same with the Ace hardware stores that sell Stihl in the US as well.
Information collector.

Jeff

H 2 H,  it seems your main purpose for being here is to quote sawtroll and then try and contradict what he has to say.  While I don't know a thing about chain saws, I do know a bit about watching the forum and recognizing some one posting with an agenda.   If you disagree and can offer a different opinion, fine, but singling out another member in your posts for the sake of singling out another member is not going to fly here.  I'm sure sawtroll can handle anything you have to dish out by himself, but the fact is, I do not like or appreciate, or accept this style of posting on the Forestry Forum. It may be good fun somewhere else, but is an irritant to the members here.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SawTroll

Jeff, all I can say is that you hit the nail squarely on the head!  :)
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: H 2 H on January 08, 2014, 03:16:17 AM
I think it's time for me to post some of your quotes

I'll be back  8)

If you are one of those that keeps quotes of what others have posted in the past, that tells a lot about you, but nothing about the ones whose posts you have saved - as the quotes obviously are selective, for a purpose....  :D
Information collector.

7sleeper

Quote from: Jeff on January 08, 2014, 08:49:54 AM
H 2 H,  it seems your main purpose for being here is to quote sawtroll and then try and contradict what he has to say.  While I don't know a thing about chain saws, I do know a bit about watching the forum and recognizing some one posting with an agenda.   If you disagree and can offer a different opinion, fine, but singling out another member in your posts for the sake of singling out another member is not going to fly here.  I'm sure sawtroll can handle anything you have to dish out by himself, but the fact is, I do not like or appreciate, or accept this style of posting on the Forestry Forum. It may be good fun somewhere else, but is an irritant to the members here.
@ Jeff
This is a typical problem with posts by sawtroll. He quotes numbers as facts without relying on real world performance. No doubt his konowledge about chainsaws is very very impressive! This, how shoud i call it, affection is a typical reaction by many to his writing.  Sawtroll's commenting with an absolutism that surpresses all other opinions and discrediting the other participants in a discussion as uninformed bystanders. Although in the real world these differences are marginal at best. Over the years I believe it to be almost on purpose by him to be provocative in his certain authorative way. What is sad is that I have been conditioned over the years to almost automatically totally ignore his postings because the auditorium reaction is all to often diametral.

SawTroll

.... . It may be good fun somewhere else, but is an irritant to the members here.

I can assure you it isn't "good fun" on any forum that I know of,
Information collector.

Jeff

My stand would be, please post what you know, help where you can and  I guess if you get called out on something be ready to back up your knowledge in an appropriate manor and I expect that if you question information, do that in an appropriate manor as well.   I don't know any of you from adam, but the mission of the Forestry Forum is to help each other while at the same time maybe finding some help for yourself. Find a way to do that that is not offensive to anyone.

beenthere

Well said Jeff.

And 7sleeper also stated what is apparently happening as well.

Maybe Sawtroll loses some of his intended message in the English translation. Just a thought.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

H 2 H

Im tired of how some twist thing around myself
Brian

Jeff

Hey, I don't know what you mean, but I thought I was clear.   I don't know you, I don't know saw troll. I don't know who knows what. I'm just saying what I know, and I do know it is obvious that you have an agenda with him by your posts here.  I'm just asking that what ever this is that is going on, does not happen here the way it is happening. It looks like a petty feud to the onlookers here.   I'm not saying who is in the right or who is in the wrong, or who knows what because again, I DONT KNOW.  I just want the quote and accusation methods to share knowledge to end.

John Mc

As always, Jeff, thank you for your efforts to maintain a friendly and inclusive atmosphere on this site.  It's all too easy for a site to degenerate into a bunch of guys trying to "out-macho" each other (for some reason, sites focusing on working outdoors and/or with power equipment seem even more prone to this - kind of a "Tim-the-toolman-Taylor" syndrome with a dark side).

I'm not saying that is necessarily what is happening here, but your efforts to keep things from heading that way are appreciated. I've bailed out of a number of sites that don't do a good job of this... I just don't have the patience to wade through the crap that results.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on January 08, 2014, 12:48:53 PM

Maybe Sawtroll loses some of his intended message in the English translation. Just a thought.

Hardly, but I may miss the meaning of slang and local expressions when reading.  ;)
Information collector.

7sleeper

Quote from: SawTroll on January 11, 2014, 05:35:07 PM
Quote from: beenthere on January 08, 2014, 12:48:53 PM
Hardly, but I may miss the meaning of slang and local expressions when reading.  ;)
I believe it has more to do with his backround as far as I understand...

ktoom

Well I finally got around to comparing my 545 and my 550xp. I was cutting in my huge pile of fresh red oak.

When cutting 3" rounds, you can feel the rev boost/more power of the 550xp vs the 545. In the 6" rounds, I could still feel a difference, but it wasn't as noticeable. Finally, cutting 17" rounds, the saws felt almost the same and it was harder to feel any difference at all.

I really liked the power difference of the 550xp, for cutting the smaller rounds.

In "my" conclusion, the 550 shines in the smaller wood do to the rev boost. As the wood your cutting gets bigger, the 545 starts to feel the same as the 550xp.

7sleeper

Quote from: ktoom on January 12, 2014, 03:39:22 PM
Well I finally got around to comparing my 545 and my 550xp. I was cutting in my huge pile of fresh red oak.

When cutting 3" rounds, you can feel the rev boost/more power of the 550xp vs the 545. In the 6" rounds, I could still feel a difference, but it wasn't as noticeable. Finally, cutting 17" rounds, the saws felt almost the same and it was harder to feel any difference at all.

I really liked the power difference of the 550xp, for cutting the smaller rounds.

In "my" conclusion, the 550 shines in the smaller wood do to the rev boost. As the wood your cutting gets bigger, the 545 starts to feel the same as the 550xp.
Thanks for the very informative comparison!

woodchipper95

Quote from: ktoom on January 12, 2014, 03:39:22 PM

This is what I thought would happen! Bout time I get something right, thanks so much for the post. I will be cutting around 10''-14'' so I think the 545 is the right choice for me.

Rob5073

I used my 545 recently at a friend's house to cut down a pecan tree that was severely affected by drought conditions.  It was about 14" dia. and didn't have any problems dropping it.  Did the limbing and bucking as well.  Nice saw!  :)

Spike60

Interesting conclusions there. I would have expected that the comparison go the other way. In that they'd be close in the smaller wood, say in the 8" to 12" range, but the higher rated power of the 550 would become a factor as the wood got larger. Especially going up to 17". Guess I'm going to have to take a 545 or 2252 of the shelf and do a little research here myself.  :)

But either way, it validates what I and some others have been saying for a while now. The 545/2252 and 555/2258 are great saws and great values that are being overlooked. Not really new in the Husky world either. In most every instance, the "detuned model" sharing a chassis with an XP is a lot closer in performance than most will think. And for cutting firewood, which is what most of us do, the less peaky non XP model is fine.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

rburg

I recently purchased a 2252 and have been happy with it so far. It compares favorably with my broken in 346. For my needs, I think it will suit me fine. Currently, it has an 18" bar with 23 rs chain on it.

SawTroll

Quote from: Spike60 on January 13, 2014, 07:43:23 PM

But either way, it validates what I and some others have been saying for a while now. The 545/2252 and 555/2258 are great saws and great values that are being overlooked. Not really new in the Husky world either. In most every instance, the "detuned model" sharing a chassis with an XP is a lot closer in performance than most will think. And for cutting firewood, which is what most of us do, the less peaky non XP model is fine.

My experience with the 353 and the 50cc 346/2153 tells me that the differense in performance seems larger than the specs indicate, and the xp is much nicer/more fun to use....

The ones that don't want to spend the extra money for the xp should stay a long way away from them!
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!