iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood processor..pig in a poke ?

Started by woody1, August 27, 2009, 08:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody1

Well..I have been looking at firewood processors for a couple years. I have bid on a couple on e-bay, and lost the auction. Last week there war a home made one on e-bay. It looked pretty nice and the price was cheap. Well, long story short..I got it. Have you ever bought something you thought you woulnd't get, and then got it ? Now how do you tell your wife " Hey honey..I just bought a firewood processor ."
So, I bought the machine. Now I have to get it home from 150 miles away. I don't know what kind of shape it is in, it has tires, but will it tow ? I have a tilt bed, but the machine is 28' long and the tilt bed is only 20'. Well, I ended up hiring a towing co. to go get it. It came last evening and it is 1000 times better the expected. It works great, fast and smooth. The guy I purchased it from must be a genious. There are some pictures in my gallery, if you want to take a look.
Lucky woody1  :D :D 8)
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

beenthere

From first blush, looks like it is a fairly decent home made one. I see the new operator is already learning the controls.  :)

I kind of don't like the chainsaw blade so near the operator, but that you can probably work with.

Hope to see some video of it working.  Glad it is better than expected.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logwalker

It looks like it would have towed well. Can you share the winning bid with a few hundred of your best friends? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

jdtuttle

Now how do you tell your wife " Hey honey..I just bought a firewood processor ."
I had the same delima when I bought my LT40HD. Good luck :D
The processor looks great, She may forgive you for getting a good deal!  ;)
jim
Have a great day

Magicman

Wow, Woody.  That is some rig.  Hope to hear you say that you are "turning a profit" soon.... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mr Mom

bid on a chipper and won didnt think i had a chance.
Wife was not to happy.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

backwoods sawyer

I hear you are planning a long vacation. I can share some of my hideouts if you need to disappear for a while.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

thecfarm

Looks good. I see your helper is getting used to the controls.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

Its a Unit  ;D 8) Looks like you got a good Buy there Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

tonto

Nice looking rig you got there Woody. Hope it works out well for you. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

bandmiller2

Honey I'am getting old and it will save my back.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Woody,many look down on backyard engineers but their are some clever lads out their.Factory engineered usally means built as cheap and as light as possible.One good thing looks like you can repair or replace anything on the rig, all common hardware.Be sure to tell us how it works,and don't be afrade to do your own mods.Frank C.

brdmkr

Woody,

If that is a homemade machine, I would say that whoever built it was pretty talented.  Like mentioned above, I'd like to see a video of it in operation.

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Hilltop366

pasbuild

So when can we expect the in action video, I don't want to miss it 8)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

stonebroke

Boy did you get a good deal 6,300$

Stonebroke

woody1

I ran about a dozen log throught it this afternoon and everything worked perfect. The only thing I have to do is come up with some kind of sawdust screen for the operator. It is neat how he has a variable speed on the elevator. You can make a pile, then speed up the elevator to throw the wood a little farther. The bidding started at $5500.00 I put my high bid at $6500. and got it for $6300.. I am real happy with the price.
I have an unlimited source for wood, so profit won't be a problem.
It has a deck, but not a live deck. I'll probably come up with some sort of live deck for it.
I'd love to do a video. My daughter has a video camera. I will shoot a video, but will need some help loading onto the forum.  ??? ???
My friend that helps me saw said " They don't make a machine that can out cut and split me." He saw it and changed his mind about a race.  :o :D :D.
Thanks alot for all the input and pats on the back
It really was a " Pig in a poke".  :D

Ron Wenrich

Since you have hydraulics, a live deck is fairly simple to build.  Sawdust protection is usually either a big screen or a big piece of glass.  I'd opt for the glass and reinforced.  Its easier to keep clean.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

mike_van

Hope it works out, the pics look pretty good. Boy, sight unseen is risky business....... :o
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

bandmiller2

Woody,A piece of safety glass like an auto side window.My favorite is frier conveyer chain its a chainmail belt easy to see through yet heavy enough to stop chips, crap or worse,easy to clean just wack it with something sawdust falls off.What does it have for an engine Woody??Frank C.

woody1

I put a screen on it yesterday..plus wear my hemet and face screen..works good. Think I'll get a bee keepers suit.  :D :D
The engine is a 4 cyliner diesel. Isuzu off a thermo king reefer unit.
I have to put some new paddles on the conveyor chains. They are metal with teeth on the deck and sort of a rubber on the elevator.
Thanks,
Woody

Thank You Sponsors!