iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nothing like getting the shaft

Started by cutter88, February 19, 2015, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter88

Decided to update our welder a few weeks back and bought a used Millar bobcat 250 only had. 600hrs on it looked mint , after I got it home I noticed when I'd start it it would shut right back off like the oil pressure switch was broke, turns out it has no oil pressure motors shot so I paid $3000 for a welder that needs a $2500 engine,
Good times
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

RayMO

Should be able to rebuild for less but it sounds like you have the same kinda luck as I on used equipment.
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

shortlogger

I think I would wanna have a talk with the guy who sold it to you .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

SwampDonkey

Around these parts used stuff is priced like gold to begin with, unless it's a $500 Chevy that needs $3500 of work. :D I've seen lots of fellas buy old warn out pickups around here and constantly spend money on them even if they do it themselves.  A good reason the buy new, if I'm going to be constantly paying out to keep something running, might as well be money on a new one. Not everyone finds a chevy that stayed in the owner's garage most of the time.  Mom's uncle was like that. He had a pickup that was 12 years old with 4000 km, not miles. His grandson inherited it and totalled it within a week. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ForestFox

I found I get burned on used equipment a lot less if I try it before I buy it. That goes for skidders, dozers and heavy equipment especially and they need to get actually worked. You most always buy someone else's problems, you just have a better idea how big they are. In my opinion the guy knew what he was selling you and was way less than honest. It wasen't an auction where you know you are buying a pig in a poke, and just bid like you were paying for poke only! Shameful! Every dog has his day!
TJ225,MF481 wLoader, JD792, MF1080, Husky 2100's,285XP,576XP,261,

coxy

but isn't it kind of your fault for not trying it out first

jocco

Got to agree with coxy on this. Its different if you paid $400 not running. If its private sale and not a dealer its under the as is clause :o What kind of engine is it an onan or one with a diesel (If so you are really @#$%^&) >:(
You may check out but you will never leave

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Polish Hammer

600 hours and the motor is shot ? how do you know this ? did you hook up a manual gauge to see if it make oil pressure ? what does the oil look like on the dip stick? what were the conditions of your sale ? was it in running condition? lots of questions that need to be answered.
Cat 322c fmhw with waratah 622, Komatsu PC200-7 FM with waratah 622b, Timberjack 450b grapple, timberjack 660c grapple, Tigercat 630c grapple, John Deere 853j Buncher, echo saws

cntryby

Quote from: cutter88 on February 19, 2015, 09:27:38 PM
Decided to update our welder a few weeks back and bought a used Millar bobcat 250 only had. 600hrs on it looked mint , after I got it home I noticed when I'd start it it would shut right back off like the oil pressure switch was broke, turns out it has no oil pressure motors shot so I paid $3000 for a welder that needs a $2500 engine,
Good times

Does it have the pressure switch pre or post filter?
Have you pulled the pan to look for any debris blocking the pick up? 
How did you determine it has no oil pressure?
Have you done a compression test?
Grey haired riders didn't get that way from pure luck.

Dave Shepard

Is there a button you have to hold until it gets up to pressure like a Murphy switch on a chipper?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thenorthman

Quote from: cutter88 on February 19, 2015, 09:27:38 PM
Good times

Well... barring any simple filter/oil pump issues.

If its an onan a rebuild isn't to bad on one of em, parts are usually available, and as a bonus light! Most of those had sleeved cylinders or replaceable cylinders, bearings are a breeze... pull the motor roll it around on the shop bench for a couple hours and you have a working engine again... Just don't get smart with the governor... leave it alone or put it back the way you found it... Since its a welder you'll probably need to adjust the high idle, I think it takes a special hertz meter thing so you can get the phase correct... (personally never cared much as long as the arc looks good and whatever light I'm using doesn't burn up instantly...)

Still a bad deal though...

Would it be possible to yard the motor off  yer old welder and swap em for a bit?
well that didn't work

cutter88

I started it in the guys garage ran great welded with it for 10 min, brought it home put it in the service truck about a week went but went to use it it would start then shut right off so we thought just a sensor so I took it in to a very reputable place that works on them they put an manual oil pressure gauge and it had none.
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

coxy

that sucks  I did that with a 8k truck took it for a ride got it up to temp every thing was great the next day put it on the road and drove 4.2m and rod went through the block  they cobbed a rod bearing in it and sent it down the road took them to court and was found to be on me  I test drove it    I never test drive a used car or truck anymore after that and its always in the paper work that the truck or car was never test drove don't know if it will ever help but when the judge said it was my fault  for driving it and saying it was good   so I do feel for ya    you never said you ran it and welded with it  sorry if I sounded  a little harsh 

Skidder Kev

that sucks cutter,   I hope you can get it fixed for cheaper then you figured but once you have it rebuilt you know what you have.   

How has the winter logging been going for you guys up north?

jocco

88 I question some of this, If it ran for awhile with NO oil the rods/mains and so on would be acting up. Wont touch the reputable shop but a second opinion might be in order. Has all the small issues been ruled out???what about water or ice check valve, pressure relief stuck? Also what kind of engine is it??? I know you got to be hot about it but it may not be $2500 to repair. As others said seeking restitution from an individual is pointless. good luck let us know what you find.
You may check out but you will never leave

lopet

I have a feeling the guy who sold you that unit, knew exactly that there was a problem but also knew how to bypass it for at least ten minutes you have tried it.  If it was low on compression he probably filled the crankcase with that engine seal stuff
( I call it honey ) , but it only last so long.  Unfortunately there are a lot of people like that out there and I got caught too.
But one thing i have learned is, ask a lot of questions about it. You know like , how long he has it , first owner, any problems ,
any repairs, why are you selling it etc. If something doesn't ad up, red flags go up.  I know, this is not a guarantee, but it narrows it down a bit.      Maybe the rebuilt isn't all that bad, like others said.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

redprospector

If it's the same as my Miller Bobcat 250, it has a 20 horse Kohler engine.
Sorry to hear you got the shaft, but it happens to the best of us. Pick up the pieces and keep moving toward your goal.  smiley_beertoast
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

WH_Conley

I would check compression before tearing down. If it was not pumping oil that long then it will be low on compression. If compression is up then it would be something else. As mentioned before, bypass, sensor, maybe something simple broke.
Bill

Polish Hammer

I had a few small engines in generators that just stopped due to no oil pressure. dropped the oil and the pan and seen that the oil pick up was cracked or broke off, or mounting bolts were loose and it was pulling air not oil. easy fixes and if it has the oil pressure shut down you probably didnt do any damage to the engine.
Cat 322c fmhw with waratah 622, Komatsu PC200-7 FM with waratah 622b, Timberjack 450b grapple, timberjack 660c grapple, Tigercat 630c grapple, John Deere 853j Buncher, echo saws

Thank You Sponsors!