iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1 log 3 tires

Started by flip, September 13, 2007, 08:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

So I tell Lori, "Let's jump on the back hoe and go grab one of those ash logs I couldn't get to last year".  We jump on and head back about a 1/2 mile to where I bucked this tree (couldn't get to it because it was too wet down by the river.  Now I have an order for ash but no logs so great, let's go.  I follow the trail I took last year and about 25 yards from the first log I hear the ominous hissssssssssssssssss.  @#$% left front tire has a hole in it and goes flat in about 15 seconds.  We'll we're here any way, let's at least drag it up to this clearing.  We back up to the log, put the tongs on and start back.  Hissssssssssssss, hisssssssssssss, hmm that sounds like both right side tires.  Yup, 3 tires flat for one ash log.  Now I have to try and get the wheels off this 60 year old hoe in the woods, no impact gun.

The p.s. to this is that all flats happened in the same place so the first thing I think is some !@#$% spiked my trail which borders city property.  I jumped off and started scouring the leaves but found nothing.  So tonight I start my fight to get the wheels off and tires fixed.  Not sure if I want to back after the other 3 logs because if I go by statistics I'll have 9 more flats >:(
I have to say Lori did enjoy the 1/2 mile walk back to the house through the corn field and woods in sandals ::)  Not a good way to take a walk. ::)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

thecfarm

That is too bad.I would have to think there is something there to cause all that damage.Seems odd to have 3 of them in one place.I have heard of pipe that was used to mark lines will cause a notice able hole in a tire.Did the other 2 tires go down quick too?Must have a big hole to make them that front one go down that quick.I have had a nail in a truck tire before,but it went down real slow.Good luck.I would fil it back up with air and see where the hole is,if you can't find it.Don't have a real thony bush there do you?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

flip

No brush, no thorns, no locust trees.  We went through this same opening 6-8 times last year and no problems, now problems.  I wish I had a metal detector to check for nails or spikes, but it's out in the middle of a wooded area with city property bordering one side, a river on the other and corn field on the 3rd side.  I find it incredible that someone would take the time to spike me but the chances of 3 flats in one spot has got to be up there. 

Raider Bill

Have you ever tried SLIME in your tires? I'm not a logger but have been using it for years and have never had a flat in anything that slime was in. All my Harleys have it as does my mower, truck and bicycle.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Dan_Shade

i'll pass on a trick for tractor tires taht my dad uses.

jack up and block the axle, then break the tire off of the bead while the wheel is still on the tractor.  the tires are still heavy, but it really saves trying to unstuck that old stuck stuff and dealing with the extra weight of the wheel.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

flip

I've got 3 gallons of slime but it says not to use it in tires with tubes.

I feel like I go to get the tires off and see if there is some metal inside causing the problem.  Probably bring them into work and put a patch plug in the hole and re tube.  Still get's my goat >:( >:( >:(

Bro. Noble

I've been using 'Slime' in front tractor tires (with tubes) for several years with good success.  The last time I bought some I read on the bottle "for tubeless tires" :o :o-----I went ahead and used it anyway and the tire stayed up ::) ::) 

milking and logging and sawing and milking

Kevin

QuoteI went ahead and used it anyway

I knew that before you said it.  :D

Bro. Noble

And I'm gonna buy some more ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Raider Bill

I think it works well. Never tried it in tubed tires but can't hurt. It actually helps in the balance too.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

3 out of 4 tires on my mower endorse da green slime. :)

LeeB

I bought bicycle tubes at wallyworld for the boy with slime already in em.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Mooseherder

Quote from: LeeB on September 13, 2007, 10:33:18 PM
I bought bicycle tubes at wallyworld for the boy with slime already in em.
I bought those too for my tow behind yard cart at HD.  No flats since.

maple flats

There is slime designed for tubeless and another designed for tube. I have no idea how they differ but I have used it and it has not failed me yet.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Coon

flip, did you ever find out why you had the three flats all in the same place?  Was there something that you ran over????  Or were your tires just plain worn out or rotten???

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

I was out on a job site inspection on a private woodlot. There was an apple orchard adjacent to the job. It was just coincidence that I parked the truck about 5 feet from a groove in the road. I looked close at the groove because it didn't seem right. There was a spike belt buried in the groove with some hay covering the spikes. The field next to the orchard had been hayed and I suppose some one thought it wouldn't look so suspicious. I don't know why it was put there unless the orchard grower had troubles with apple thieves on wheelers. I'm sure the logger never put them there and he had his equipment already moved off site.

When you said you had a hoe, I never imagined it was a wheeled one. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sgtmaconga

slime has a mix for tubes
Measure twice cut once

Polly

8)   tractor supply in our part of the country has tire sealer in one gallon jugs it will also work in tires loaded  i use it in everything i think the last i bought was around twenty five bucks  that slime being discussed is good also  ::) ::)   

flip

The best I could tell there were 2 old steel fence posts in the ground rusted off with about 2" sticking up.  We ran the bucket over the "affected area" several times before we located and popped them out of the ground >:( >:( >:(  They couldn't have been over 75 or 80 years old ::)

Ed_K

I feel its easier to remove the tire off the rim with the rim on the machine.I've never had the rims off of the skidder but all four have had tubes put in as the rims were rusty. I wire brush and scale the rust off and cover the rim with tire grease.I have a tire to change but am waiting for some warmer weather  :( its 20 degs with 5" snow  >:( .
Ed K

SwampDonkey

Oh, what'cha belly aching about. Your getting too soft.  :D :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!