iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Over heating help

Started by Firewoodjoe, June 05, 2019, 09:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRANITEstateMP

Firewoodjoe,

I think you mentioned it before but I'll double check.  If your gonna do the Radiator and fan, you may as well do the water pump and t-stat too.  I don't know how much of a pain it is to work on them Mules, so it's easy for me to put my two cents in! ;D  We've seen more than one non-leaking water pump need replacement, either from impellers that have worn down, the impeller shaft and hub no longer connected (either pressed or keyed), etc.  Probably not your issue, but as you stated you didn't have the complete history, it seems like a good idea to do at the same time as the rad (since it'd be outta the way).  Hope you get er' back up and running soon.

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

GRANITEstateMP

Note:  Those water pumps weren't on Mules, just different rigs that have come into the shop I work at and at the farm
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Firewoodjoe

Yeah a water pump is $80 not worth my down time to tear it down and not put one on then. Even if the old one checks out.

Firewoodjoe

Update. Cleaned radiator in and out. It will never be cleaner than it is now. Added a shroud flushed the system with cleaner and vinegar. And fluid was never rusty or discoloration.  new 160 thermostat. Seems to pump well and still hits 200 in a short few minutes of work. And it will not cool down very fast at idle. Takes 20-30 min to cool down. Frustrated

mike_belben

You coulda pulled the head by now.  
Praise The Lord

Cub

The fluid that came out of the radiator could be clean and no discoloration and the inside could still be half plugged. If it's running at 200 with a 160 stat in it there's definitely a problem. I'm with mike I'd be looking at the head. Or head gasket. But I still wouldn't completely rule out radiator just yet. 

Firewoodjoe

I just don't believe it's the head yet. No other signs or symptoms to be a head. Runs cool weather just fine also. And yes I know the radiator could still be plugged. Had to try cleaning it and it's supposed to have a shroud anyways.

Firewoodjoe

Guess I'll pull the head. Really wanted to avoid that but it is much cheaper than a radiator. Hope nobody takes offense for avoiding your opinions. I just hate opening a good running engine.

Ed_K

Was there any chance it was air locked after you changed the thermostat? Had that happen to my 4-53 when it was rebuilt. I got it on the job and startede out to get a hitch and it went right up to 220°.Called the repair guy an he came out an put a new thermostat in an it did it again while he was there, so some how he got the air bubble out an it ran at 196° since then.
Ed K

Oliver05262

I often drill a small hole in the flange of a thermostat when it could get air bound. A 1/8 inch hole isn't going to affect the temperature any, but it will allow air to vent itself out the top. Mack 'stats used to have a wiggle pin in a hole to do that. The pin kept the hole clear. Some CAT equipment had a vent hose that let air bypass the thermostat.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Firewoodjoe

Head gasket is here locally. I'll check all I can then I'm tearing it down.

Firewoodjoe

Well I ran it. Seems better. Guessing I had air in it as suggested earlier. But my gauge still reads a little hot and my inferred was showing 180-195 now it's all blurry so who knows what's right. I'll get a new gauge and a thermometer.

mike_belben

Well, no harm in running it a day or two right?  

Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

Ok question for anyone that suspected head gasket? If it was a head gasket blown between cylinders would it cause over heating even if it is not going to the coolant? I would think if a head gasket is causing the over heating then it would have to be getting combustion to coolant. I haven't tested the coolant yet but it's clean distilled water right now. I'm going to run it this week and if I'm not happy I will take it back home. Only 4 miles from this job so I want this sorted out before I'm done here. Today it's hot and working it hard it will run 195-205 then cool back to 180 when sitting. I don't continue to push it when it hits 205 not sure if it will go further or not. New gauge also.

barbender

We had a cracked head on one of our forwarders, and it's only symptoms were intermittent power loss and overheating. We never tested the coolant, but there was nothing apparent to the eye wrong with it. Idk if it was transferring combustion gases between a couple cylinders or what, I wasn't involved in the teardown.
Too many irons in the fire

Firewoodjoe

Well taking the hood off dropped it 20+/-degrees. Last skid was 190 max.

Ed_K

I think it was an air blockage 8).
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!