iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bee hives

Started by Don_Papenburg, October 04, 2012, 10:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_Papenburg

Is it a good idea to make hive boxes out of ERCedar?   I was thinking that it might control the wax moth . or would it also control the honey bee  or add a funny aroma to the honey?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Peter Drouin

HI Don I don;t know . try just one hive and see how it gos. all of mine are w pine. when the snow comes I make new 9" suppers. so in the spring I chage them out but use the same frames. we have had a dry summer in NH . so I have ben feeding them for 8 week now, I have 2 hives. there doing good. I have never had a wax moth in the hive. but ants, they like honey too :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Riggs

I know there is a company that makes them out of cedar, but they use white cedar. http://www.evanscedarbeehives.com/
I make mine out of poplar because that's what I have the most of. I haven't had any problems with the wax moth, so I can't help you there.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Raider Bill

I'm getting some kind of little beetle bugs in my hive. I don't have a picture of them but here are some I took of the bees last week. That's my Son in the suit.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Ford_man

I had Bees years ago and I would scorch the inside of the supers. that wold kill most of the the infestations. ( DON'T do it in the basement)
If you get a box that the bees will not stay in heat your house with it. splitwood_smiley

Riggs

Raider Bill, what you are describing sounds like small hive beetles. It's normal to have a few, they hide in the cracks and crevices inside the hive. You can get beetle traps and control it for the most part. It is also been recommended to keep the hive(s) in full sun if possible, as the beetles seem to thrive in the shade. 
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Raider Bill

Quote from: Riggs on October 05, 2012, 08:46:59 AM
Raider Bill, what you are describing sounds like small hive beetles. It's normal to have a few, they hide in the cracks and crevices inside the hive. You can get beetle traps and control it for the most part. It is also been recommended to keep the hive(s) in full sun if possible, as the beetles seem to thrive in the shade.

That full sun idea might work as where I have the hive now it only gets for 10am to 2 full sun. I can do better than that here in the sunshine state. 8)

Most of what I see are on the top cover but I'm sure they are down inside too. My Son mentioned the beetle traps also. He has a hive at his house. Actually mine was split off of his.

We are in the most densely populated county in Florida raising bees! :D We also both have chickens and gardens, Billy has some rabbits.

Both hives were inspected and approved by the State so now they are pretty much untouchable as they are endangered around here.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Don_Papenburg

Thanks ,   We have just two hives now . Got the most honey this year inspite of the drought.  We did have  a third hive that we collected from the grain elevator bin  .It started working the hive box and then in about two months it disapeared.We got the wax moth bad last year ,had a few beetles but not bad .
Home grown honey is the best.   I was wondering if some hemp or wildwoodweed  would make the bees mellow or the honey funny.

francismilker

I'll let you know next spring.  I just cut some 4/4 cedar and plan to add a few of my splits into ERC hives next spring.  I've always used white pine to build supers and tops but with the moth problems I've been having it can't hurt to try something that's naturally moth repelling. 8)
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Don_Papenburg

Great , It will be good to hear from the real tester  how things turn out . 
I was thinking that only the brood chamber and maybe the bottom board would need the cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!