iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stickers

Started by Bruno of NH, July 26, 2017, 07:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I have an opportunity to buy sticker from a big dry kiln company. They use 6' ones and when the break they have been putting them a side.
They will cut them 4' for me and sell them to me for .50 cent each.
They are made in Canada.
What do you think ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

Are they fluted or grooved? 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

petefrom bearswamp

I made my own grooved ones and I doubt That with milling, planing ripping and shaping I have less than .75 in them.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

This is an excellent price for grooved sticks.  Commercial prices for new ones are often 50 cents per foot.  If they are not fresh out of the kiln, then you do need to heat them to 133 F throughout to kill any insects and eggs.  Also, you wan;t them at under 10% MC before you use them.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

firefighter

Hi I live in Canada could you let me know the company name and phone number. I would give them a call and see if I can get a deal like that . Thanks for  posting this.

Bruno of NH

The mill i'm getting them from is in my home town in NH
They but the sticks from a company in Canada by the semi load

BLink

Are some species of wood better for stickers than others?
It seems like someone told me a while back that you need to be careful what species you sticker with.
There are a lot of Old Loggers.
There are a lot of Bold Loggers.
But there ain't a lot of Old, Bold Loggers!

Stihl 034, Stihl 009, Husquvarna 3120, 540 Allis Chalmers Loader, International T1340 Crawler Drott 4in1 Loader, JCB 1400B, Cat IT14F

Ianab

Only time I can see it being a problem would be if the stickers were some dark wood that might leach colour or tannins into a white wood that you were drying.

Other than that you want stickers that are dry, straight, strong. (and cheap). Exact species usually doesn't matter.   
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

YellowHammer

Quote from: BLink on October 16, 2017, 03:59:53 PM
Are some species of wood better for stickers than others?
It seems like someone told me a while back that you need to be careful what species you sticker with.
No walnut. 
I like cherry, oak, hickory but have used pretty much anything handy.  I make mine from my cull kiln dried boards. 

Accurately cut stickers is very important.  Poor stickers make poor lumber.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ianab

Yeah, dark stuff like Walnut is the sort of thing I was thinking about.

I've used pine, eucalyptus, white cedar and cypress with no problems. You don't want knots in them as the either warp or break.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Oak stickers will give slight stain in hard maple.  Woods with water soluble chemicals, like walnut, will stain.  Southern pine plywood sticks will stain hardwoods during the first and second uses.  Bottom line is that with most valuable white woods, use the same species of sticks.  Further, use grooved sticks for these species.  Sticks should always be dry- -under 10% MC.  However, they should not be under 7% MC, as they will dry too fast and leave a white streak
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Peter Drouin

I use hard wood 1x1 that don't make a grade stake,  No grooves or flute.  :D :D :D 

But my lumber is not high $$$$ just 1" pine and 2x4s. :D :D :D :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fishfighter

I use SYP and oak. No problems yet, but then again I saw for myself. ;D

I stack and sticker my lumber only 16"-20" wide and about 3' tall. I stack them on 8x16 cinder blocks. Reason, makes it easy for me to move stacks with my tractor and most of the tin roofing I use to cover the stacks are 26" wide. Besides that, the lumber dries faster with good air flow.

Thank You Sponsors!