iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer wide head debarker question

Started by JSTOM, January 15, 2019, 12:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSTOM

Hello all, I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster with a question for the sawyers running the woodmizer wide head.

I got my wide head mill with the standard debarker, and just yesterday got the time to install to the new design debarker.  The blade spins toward the operator, like the old one, but the guard is now on the far side of the debarker.  I haven't cut with it yet, but it looks obvious I'm going to get sprayed with debris with the debarker running and standing at the controls.  I noticed on another thread here someone mentioned it should run the opposite direction, but Woodmizer Portland states this is not the case.  It certainly SEEMS like it should run the other way, shooting debris away from the operator and the band, but I'm not sure what to do now.

What is everyone else doing about this?

tawilson

You need to reverse the leads and reverse the direction.  Blade gets flipped accordingly. 
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

JSTOM

Thank you!  I kinda figured that, given the guard position and non-reverse threads on the mandrel.

Crossroads

It should have came with a different mandrel to facilitate reversing the rotation. Did your kit come with the disc to limit the depth of the debarker cut?
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

boonesyard

Do you get the update kit from Woodmizer? I have the same issue. Cost?
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Crossroads

Woodmizer sent out upgrade kits for the wide mills. My receipt said "good will gesture" balance due 0

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

boonesyard

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

John S

The original debarker on my widehead rotated away from me (the operator) and continued to trip the breaker even after I installed the depth of cut limiter. Next they sent the kit to reverse the rotation which has helped.  It seems that your mill came with this upgrade.  It is true, however, that the shield that deflects the chips is now useless.  Maybe someone at Woodmizer will read this and come up with a remedy.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Stuart Caruk

The debarker is on the far side of the log from you at any rate so the log will deflect any debris regardless of which way it rotates.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Chuck White

I know that this discussion is referencing WIDE, but if it's anything similar to the standard LT40, the log will not stop ALL debris from hitting the operator!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tawilson

Especially if you have Command Control. 
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
Woodmaster 725

Stephen1

I'm really confused. :D My debarker spins the the debris away from the log and me. It makes sense that it spins this way. Is this correct?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

terrifictimbersllc

Mine sends it towards me.  In fact it is a pretty good shot sometimes gets me at over 15 feet.  :o :o

Ps I'm at the hitch end front remote.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tawilson

The old style has the debarker ahead of the pivot while the new one pulls it along behind the pivot. I think that's why they changed the rotation. I can see it in my mind but can't seem to put it in writing very well.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
Woodmaster 725

Chuck White

My debarker blade spins counterclockwise, when viewed from above!

Any debris will have a tendency to be flung towards the hitch end of the mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Stephen1

Quote from: tawilson on January 18, 2019, 05:33:56 PM
The old style has the debarker ahead of the pivot while the new one pulls it along behind the pivot. I think that's why they changed the rotation. I can see it in my mind but can't seem to put it in writing very well.
Mine has the debarker behind the pivot and pulls, the blade spins clockwise looking from the top.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

tawilson

Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
Woodmaster 725

boonesyard

The retrofit kit just showed up, haven't had time to look in the box or at the instructions, but it's heavy so there's more in there than I expected. To cold and the weather's not fit for man nor beast, so the install will have to wait. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Crossroads

Quote from: boonesyard on January 22, 2019, 01:54:05 PM
The retrofit kit just showed up, haven't had time to look in the box or at the instructions, but it's heavy so there's more in there than I expected. To cold and the weather's not fit for man nor beast, so the install will have to wait.
I don't think the instructions tell you, but the new debarker goes in the inside set of holes. If you put it in the outside position the jack is in the way when in the up position. 

Thank You Sponsors!