iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3120xp Questions

Started by jcbrotz, August 05, 2019, 02:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbrotz

So I finally got a 3120xp for the chainsaw mill. I tried to break it in right with husky gas and such. Well its was a bear to start after it got warm and when it did start it would idle then die when you gave it any gas, 5-8 pulls when cold. And when you throttle up unloaded it would start floating at half throttle sputtering and sounding like crap. So back to the dealer they pulled and cleaned the flywheel and regapped it. It now starts 3-5 pulls and will start when hot now so that's a start but it still sounds like crap on top end its taching out around 3/4 throttle when no load on it. Is that normal? the dealer is being ok about it but they don't seem very knowledgeable about it. My 395 doesn't do it so I think something is wrong gunna hook it to the chainsaw mill and slab up some elm and white oak when it gets here and see what it does but in the back of my mind is get them to replace it. so what's your thoughts? 
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Firewoodjoe

Warranty? If so I'd trust the dealer and try it in wood. I also know those run much slower than a 395 and if your dealer is anything like mine they set them rich when new. Good luck just my thoughts.

jcbrotz

We don't have much for dealers in this neck of the woods more like places to order and parts changers that's my biggest issue it cuts great when it starts I just cant get over the fact that it sounds like it over revs at 3/4 throttle with no load and its would start but not rev after shutting it down to fill it up. gunna have to find a good saw shop in nepa or southern teir new York I guess. But if this isn't right its going back before the weekend gunna hook it to the chainsaw mill and slab some elm Friday after that I will know more I guess.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

ehp

OK, first off there is no high speed jet, its a fixed jet and if your going to use the saw for milling I would get the larger fixed jet for the carb so saw runs abit richer , milling really heats the engine up so a bit richer is always safer. Next it sounds like either your hitting the rpm limiter in the coil or your coil is not working proper . The new 3120 has a quite low top rpm before limiter comes on and once it hits the limiter a tach will bounce all over the place and engine sounds like crap . Hope you have not already taken the ext side off the piston

jcbrotz

I will look into the bigger jet, also hoping I didn't take the ext side off going to put the bore scope down the sparkplug hole today and run it a bit if all goes well. what tach would you recommend for me to get? I should probably have one to check the speed the dealer is saying that the top end is normal at least that's what husky is telling them. time will tell...... Thanks guys

mredden

Quote from: jcbrotz on August 05, 2019, 02:41:45 PM
So I finally got a 3120xp for the chainsaw mill. I tried to break it in right with husky gas and such. Well its was a bear to start after it got warm and when it did start it would idle then die when you gave it any gas, 5-8 pulls when cold. And when you throttle up unloaded it would start floating at half throttle sputtering and sounding like crap. So back to the dealer they pulled and cleaned the flywheel and regapped it. It now starts 3-5 pulls and will start when hot now so that's a start but it still sounds like crap on top end its taching out around 3/4 throttle when no load on it. Is that normal? the dealer is being ok about it but they don't seem very knowledgeable about it. My 395 doesn't do it so I think something is wrong gunna hook it to the chainsaw mill and slab up some elm and white oak when it gets here and see what it does but in the back of my mind is get them to replace it. so what's your thoughts?

How many tanks of gas have you run through it. No new Husky I have ever owned (only three) has felt/sounded/started perfectly until after about five tanks. Of course, I have never actually handled a 3120xp either,

jcbrotz

Well I ordered an endoscope and got a look at the cylinder it has more scaring than my 5yr old 390 that's lived its life on the Alaskan sawmill so this isn't a good start. Ill chat with the dealer today and see if they pulled a compression test they never gave me numbers and this may be why. Have a new compression tester coming today. Thans guys and does anyone have any tips on a tach that's worth the money? prices all over the board on them little guys 

ehp

there really is no tach that's really going to work, once the engine hits the rpm limiter in the coil no tach that works off the spark is going to read correct . We always run the saws that are brand new at least  a couple tanks taking it easy on the saw to let in break in before bolting it on the mill

jcbrotz

I was taking that approach with this saw, First time I have ever used the husky canned gas and tried to break it in easy. I am concerned that the rev limiter is set to high or something as it tach's out at half or 5/8 throttle. Ill be dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow with hops of them getting me a knew one. I am not liking the scoring on the jug with less than 3 tanks of fuel threw it and the fact it take 6-8 pulls to start it when cold. I got my compression tester last night and its making around 125psi how's that sound? I was expecting 150-75 is that a correct assumption?

ehp

125 is low , 150 or so is normal, the old 3120's limiter was around 12,000 rpms but husky lowered it down to now the new saws are under 10,000 rpms

Don P

The one my milling friend has was bought used, it's an older model, which means I don't know much. Compression is similar as is starting but this thing has been worked. I'm not surprised that you are hitting the rev limiter under no load at less than full throttle, it is made for heavy load. Factory is I think 9,000, his tachs at about 11 which is in line with what ehp is saying above. The scoring does not sound good though, we've not been inside this saw.

jcbrotz

Well I got my new in box 3120xp yesterday and the old one must have been a hangover saw. This one sounds and runs so much better, knocked down a couple small trees and hopefully today will put it on the chainsaw mill. Aint gunna baby this one letter rip I guess. will do one 42in elm then onto the 40-60in white and red oaks

hedgerow

Glad to hear you got the new saw. Hope all goes well with it. 

donbj

Quote from: jcbrotz on September 17, 2019, 04:43:57 AM
Well I got my new in box 3120xp yesterday and the old one must have been a hangover saw. This one sounds and runs so much better, knocked down a couple small trees and hopefully today will put it on the chainsaw mill. Aint gunna baby this one letter rip I guess. will do one 42in elm then onto the 40-60in white and red oaks
Baby it for a few tanks. Proper break in can determine how long the saw will last.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

jcbrotz

I cut a few small trees down with it never got a chance to mount it to the Alaskan maybe tomorrow. The township brushhogged our pasture fence and that took awhile to fix real howdedo for the afternoon that was. This one is so much better than the last one they found enough wrong and the dealer was insistent enough that the Husky rep replaced it after he put me on speaker phone with the rep not sure that was a good idea lol. will report back but this ones an animal  

Thank You Sponsors!