iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson swing mill planer blade

Started by yarnammurt, December 14, 2013, 10:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarnammurt

Has anyone used the planer blade for the Peterson mills? How well does it work, Price ect. Looking at a ATS Peterson swing blade mill.
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

sigidi

I'd say it'd work, but can't give specific first hand info on Peterson stuff ;D ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

Seaman

The planer for my Lucas works great, I am picking up business planing other folks dried slabs that have twisted,
The two mills are so similar, I cannot imagine the Peterson being much different. May even be the same head, anyone know? 
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

terrifictimbersllc

On my Peterson 1030 WPF,  the planer blade is put on in place of the circular blade.  Last I checked it was about $1200 delivered.   Being portable only I haven't got one yet, would be a speculative purchase for me.

Seaman have you ever had yours resharpened and how did that go?  Are you making "planing only" trips to those customers?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Seaman

TT, the Lucas planer has ten throw away bits. The cost is about $30 a set, and I have been told they would be hard to sharpen, being so small.

All the planing I have done so far has been here at home, but a local slab retailer and I are trying to work out a deal to finish the rough slabs in his inventory. I am in a slab rich enviroment, and I think the business will grow. Along those lines I just ordered the sanding attachment, should be here this week. I can save the woodworkers several hours planing and sanding by hand, on table tops and other slabs. I think that will open another market for my Lucas.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

terrifictimbersllc

Thanks. The Peterson planer blade is about 13" diameter and for either 8 or 10" mills.  What's the diameter of the lucas planer blade.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sigidi

My planer for the model 6 - the model 10 is bigger, almost fills this green box, but I never took pics of it when I got it...

Planer in action...

first pass...

second pass...

they are a great bit of kit, do a magic job at cleaning up a slab, I don't get to use mine as much, been doing a lot more conventional cutting and the slab needs to be seasoned to get the best results from it

Frank, sounds like you might have a nice little side line there mate  ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

HSV

Quote from: yarnammurt on December 14, 2013, 10:17:30 PM
Has anyone used the planer blade for the Peterson mills? How well does it work, Price ect. Looking at a ATS Peterson swing blade mill.

Hi yarnammurt  :)

Just wanted to pop in real quick and direct you to a video you may not have yet seen of our Planer blade in action. It's just a short clip but should give you a general idea of the finish it leaves. We sell quite a lot of them and customers are happy with the result and see it as a worthwhile investment and addition to their services.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpM8urbBZ40

Aaron's the chap to talk to if you wanted to know specifics. Give him a call tomorrow or you could email him if you have any other questions.

Cheers
Layla

Thank You Sponsors!