iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gave the new saw a workout today

Started by Burlkraft, April 01, 2006, 07:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

I finally got to use my new 660 today. It is a great saw. I had an 066 that I traded off. I was never happy with the 066. It was always kind of doggy and just didn't run and cut the way I thought it should, so I never used it. :( :( :(  After today I can see that the 660 is going to get a lot of use. It just feels good in your hands and I know that it will see many more hours than the 066 8) 8) 8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

leweee

You sure that big new saw didn't give you the WORK OUT ;D.....we want pics of the mayhem :D :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Burlkraft

Leweee,

It looks like the weather is going to be good tomorrow, so a splitting I will go....I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow night.

DoubleD

Congrats for your new toy tool  ;D 8)
but remember : no pics? it didn't happen  ;D :D :D ;D ::)
Wannabe a sawmiller

Burlkraft

Well it was pretty nice today.......I do believe the repaired knee got a bigger work out than the saws did, but I managed to get all the firewood cut up from the trees that I had to remove for the new drainfield for the septic system. We are adding on to the house and the septic has to be moved.

This is the crew 025  038  and the new 660

The crew and the damage they did

And the tired old guy at the end of the day

sawguy21

I had an 038 come in today minus the throttle handle. Seems buddy fergot to tie it down on the trailer. OOPS :D :D : That's a good looking whack'o'wood.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

leweee

Impressive crew there Steve......not to mention that wack-o-wood. 8)

Best of luck with the home renovation & glad to see you wearen chaps. ;D

I know when I take out the big saw I'm always the one that gets the WORK OUT ::) :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

DoubleD

Thank you for the pics Burlkraft I'm quite impressed of your trio of chainsaw as the whack of firewood you did 8)
Wannabe a sawmiller

Burlkraft

Thanks Guys.....I love my crew..... they don't ever talk back ;D ;D ;D ;D

The chaps were a request from our insurance guy. Seeing how they spent over $50,000.00 fixing my knee twice :D :D :D :D

Raphael

Funny about your 066 experiance, my 066 is what got me addicted to Stihl.
  After 5yrs hard labor as a mill saw and one rebuild my 066 still starts on three pulls max while my new MS660 takes five.  It's my first choice if I need to bring a bigger saw out on a job.

After two surgeries on the same knee I'd be tempted to where both chaps on the same leg.  ;)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Burlkraft

It was the opposite for me....my 660 starts right up and my 066 took 5 or 6. The older I got the harder the 066 got because that one didn't have a compression release ;) ;) ;)

By far the 038 is the best saw that I have ever owned.

I used to have a McCulloh dealership >:( >:( >:( >:(  The Mac 10... Now there was a saw that you could pull all day and maybe get them to run. I even remember sometime in the 70's when they came out with an electric start. You needed to have a few well charge batteies if you planned on cutting longer than 1 tank of fuel would go :D :D :D :D

sawguy21

A MAC dealership :o Sheesh :D :D :D :D I tried to be real busy when one of those came in the shop. No wonder you appreciate the Stihl so much.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raphael

I grew up on Macs   ::)

Guess that explains my appreciation of Stihl as well  ;)

I did manage to keep both of my grandfather's Macs running over 30+ years while my father trashed lesser saws and my cousin burned up his farm boss.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Al_Smith

The 066 and Ms 660 are both nice powerful saws.The 10 series Macs were made by the zillions.They work just dandy if you know how to keep them in tune.Enough power but lacking the anti-vibe,they will shake the old bones a bit.

I would tend to agree that the 038 Stihl is most likely one of the better saws Stihl ever produced.Great power to weight ratio and vey dependable.It perhaps is one of my more used saws.

The large Macs,of which I own several can be a bear to keep in tune.That aside the 125s will keep up with any thing ever made on larger wood.I would venture to say that if two people were bucking large stuff,one with a 125 and one with an 088 the results would be close at days end.One thing is for sure,they would both be tuckered out. :D

Burlkraft

Ya know.......if I look around a bit I may still have a Mac 10 in a dark corner somewhere.....Naahhh I'm not even gonna look :D :D :D :D :D

Raphael

Quote from: Burlkraft on April 09, 2006, 09:31:08 AM
Ya know.......if I look around a bit I may still have a Mac 10 in a dark corner somewhere.....Naahhh I'm not even gonna look :D :D :D :D :D

Go on and look...
Who knows you might strike gold selling it as a collectors item on eBay  ;)
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Burlkraft

Maybe Jeff would want to make one an auction item smiley_blue_bounce smiley_blue_bounce smiley_blue_bounce

Onthesauk

Had an old mac for years that worked great but eventually developed Raynaud's from the vibration.  Bought a husky and have never had a problem since.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Thank You Sponsors!