iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Future on glass

Started by beenthere, February 21, 2011, 04:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

I don't think I'll be around long enough to enjoy this (or suffer from it :) ).

Interesting what some of the concepts that are on the iPhones, iPads, etc. out now may hold for the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Holmes

Now that looks great but who is going to teach all of us old codgers how to do that stuff?  :) And we think posting pictures is difficult? ;D  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

beenthere

Sorry for the mis-spelling in the subject line.  ::) ::)

Here is another innovation that may have future interest.

http://www.wimp.com/solarhighways/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

That glass road video really makes you start thinking.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Innovation is good, some things work, some don't. I am always curious as to what is being worked on and once in awhile get a glimpse on PBS shows. And some of you guys see stuff on Discovery and such. It makes for interesting viewing when compared to some of the fodder I am presented with on the tube. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Glad that someone is thinking out of the box  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ironwood

We recently went to the Corning Glass Museum, I was thinking, "Ho hum, WHATEVER" !

WELL, the place was TOTALLY cool.  :o. If you get a chance check it out, in Corning NY. Right off the interstate.  I wish I did not have the kids with me, I could have spent two days there.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

tyb525

That looks pretty awesome, but you gotta wonder the can of worms that might open, especially if something goes wrong.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Tom

I decided to use this post somewhere else.  >:( :P

Clark

Ironwood - You're right, I'd never guess that such a museum would be interesting!  I'll keep that in mind if I ever travel out that way.

I think the video should be called "Corning's Dream Future"!  Pretty amazing stuff.  The husband and wife do switch which side of the bed they sleep on at the end of the video which is completely unrealistic so I think they're making it all up. :D

More seriously I read an article several months ago that said the glass that is being used in phones, ipods, etc. now was actually developed in the 50's or 60's but Corning (I think it was them) had no use or market for it.  So they held on to the "recipe" for decades...here's the article:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/1962-glass-could-be-Cornings-apf-978849301.html?x=0

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

woodsteach

Just to be different... what about all of the power that is being used???? ;)  I thought the pres said we were to cut our power consumption by 30%?  IF so what is going to power all of those gadgets?

But yes those things looked very cool

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

beenthere

Quote from: woodsteach on April 04, 2011, 01:51:20 PM
Just to be different... what about all of the power that is being used???? ;)  I thought the pres said we were to cut our power consumption by 30%?  IF so what is going to power all of those gadgets?

But yes those things looked very cool

woodsteach

What "pres" said that?   ::) ::)
:)
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

I think the message from Obama was about cutting 30% of oil imports. More than one president suggested that, even Ford said it, and it didn't happen. Too much demand for it I'm afraid. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Every one since JFK.  :D

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Holmes on February 21, 2011, 04:55:39 PM
Now that looks great but who is going to teach all of us old codgers how to do that stuff?  :) And we think posting pictures is difficult? ;D  Holmes

I thought that too when I my son put the first Mac computer in my hands 3 years ago. It really wasn't that hard and right now you would have a very hard time convincing me to even try any thing that is windows based.

One of his friends has a little 3 year old girl that plays with his IPad and she cant even read. She has been teaching her little 1 year old brother how to use it and it is pretty amazing how much he has caught on to in the last month. Yes they are Apps designed for kids but 1 year old??

I don't think too many of us will have a lot of trouble learning these new systems a lot of the new computer OS software is designed to copy the way the human brain works.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

timerover51

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on April 05, 2011, 10:44:42 AM
Quote from: Holmes on February 21, 2011, 04:55:39 PM

I thought that too when I my son put the first Mac computer in my hands 3 years ago. It really wasn't that hard and right now you would have a very hard time convincing me to even try any thing that is windows based.

One of his friends has a little 3 year old girl that plays with his IPad and she cant even read. She has been teaching her little 1 year old brother how to use it and it is pretty amazing how much he has caught on to in the last month. Yes they are Apps designed for kids but 1 year old??

I don't think too many of us will have a lot of trouble learning these new systems a lot of the new computer OS software is designed to copy the way the human brain works.

Another convert from the Dark Side.  Macintosh Forever!

tyb525

What color is the Linux side? :D ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

timerover51

Quote from: tyb525 on April 14, 2011, 10:32:32 PM
What color is the Linux side? :D ;)

In this household, that is the Penguin Side, and welcomed enthusiastically into our ever growing Penguin collection.  My son has the server for our home network running on Linux, connecting together all of our Macs, and our sole Windows box.  He also is running the servers for his college dorm floor off of Linux.  Linux is extremely popular at his college.

Bandmill Bandit

Another convert from the Dark Side.  Macintosh Forever!
[/quote]

Yes we have had a Mac Attack in this family and it has rooted out all but one windows box and that is only because we haven't bought a new scanner yet. Will be installing a Mac in that spot in pretty short order and then we are done with windows.

Linux/Unix are not uncommon around here as all our servers run on one or the other. Don't ask me why but I know it has something to do with our data storage system. We have 2 x 4 bay Drobos running in separate locations with 8 terabytes in each one and I know that Linux/Unix seems to increase read/write speed, stability and security.

It is my understanding that Mac is a Unix based system any way. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

timerover51

The current Mac OS is sort of a blend of Unix and Linux.  Some of the Linux program will run on it native with only minor coding changes.

SwampDonkey

Back in the late 1980's, early 1990's they had a Unix based Mac in the Forestry Faculty at UNB that ran their GIS software. To run GIS, you pretty much need Linux or PC operating systems now-a-days. There is no commercial Mac OS GIS software that I know of.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: timerover51 on April 15, 2011, 07:22:12 PM
The current Mac OS is sort of a blend of Unix and Linux.  Some of the Linux program will run on it native with only minor coding changes.

I am sure you would get along real well with my 29 year old son (birthday today). He speaks a language I didn't think existed till he got his hand and brain into a computer. Now I just node my head and agree cause even though i get the drift i cant understand what the heck he is talking about. But then he is a computer systems/robotics engineer and I just got 2 years of college and that was agronomy.     

timerover51

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on April 16, 2011, 10:36:37 AM
Quote from: timerover51 on April 15, 2011, 07:22:12 PM

I am sure you would get along real well with my 29 year old son (birthday today). He speaks a language I didn't think existed till he got his hand and brain into a computer. Now I just node my head and agree cause even though i get the drift i cant understand what the heck he is talking about. But then he is a computer systems/robotics engineer and I just got 2 years of college and that was agronomy.     

And a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your  son, Bandmill Bandit.  My 20-year old son is studying computer engineering at the Milwaukee School of Engineering a little to the north of me.  He has never lived in a house without at least one computer, as we bought our first Mac a month before he was born.  I can sort of keep up with him as I had my first class in computers in 1968-69 in high school.  Now he is designing the computer network for the ship that I am trying to buy, along with running the computer network for his dorm floor.

Should get the two of them together sometime.

Thank You Sponsors!