iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily Fabrication Thread

Started by mike_belben, January 29, 2018, 09:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Took my revised limb trailer and ballast devices over to retrieve some firewood from a clearing i did last summer. 

Worked great.  Now if i could just get the ballast to unload it.

Also finished my pitchfork.  red oak sapwood i salvaged from a doady log, a scrap of a dish antenna mount, piece of EMT and some barn nails.  

Praise The Lord

Satamax

Quote from: Puffergas on May 23, 2018, 09:06:32 PM
Satamax, that is an amazingly small welder! One idea I have for one of them is a remote foot amp adjuster, for TIG. Could bypass the adjustment pot with one in the homemade foot control or use a lite cable from the foot control to the adjustment pot/knob on the welder. Don't feel too bad about hacking a cheap (but nice) welder.
Chinese stuff is soo cheap these days, that i would rather buy a ac/dc HF tig with a pedal, rather than to hack this one. ;D 
But what you say is perfectly doable. With an old dead whawha pedal. :D 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

coxy

mike your son reminds me of me when i was that age never had a shirt on and would pitch a fit if my mom made put one on to go to town now  i have to have one on now cant stand things crawling on me must be old age 

mike_belben

Were you perpetually covered in dirt too?  That kid has perma-filth on him.
Praise The Lord

coxy

like my dad told my wife with our first daughter at 2     14 years from now you will be wishing she was full of dirt and grease   ;D

coxy

i didn't have much dirt on me but had a lot old Detroit grease on me  :D 8)  

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

JesseA

Well I got one done! A couple oopsies but nothing major.

D

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

JesseA

Not yet.  I'm looking forward to though 

Satamax

Quote from: Puffergas on May 28, 2018, 01:35:40 PM
Here is one man's review of the little welder.

TFS: The Smallest Welder EVER! Will it TIG? - YouTube
Good to see. 
I guess, the amps showed, are overstated, for sure. But it works kind of all right for me. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

bushmechanic

Nice job there JesseA , should get some good grip with those. ;)

g_man

Nice set of chains Jesse !! A lot of work but they came out good.

I wanted to put some 4" deep stake pockets on my little trailer so I can use it for small logs and poles. The thing is made from bent up 12 Gauge (.104") and needed some reinforcement underneath. As you can see I'll never be a fabricator or welder but I have fun trying. I am liking that little EverLast PowerArc 200ST welder I have had for a month now. Weighs about 30 lbs and will run on 240 or 120 volts. Way better than the old bullet proof AC TombStone if it holds up. Never realized how much nicer DC was to weld with.

gg

Skeans1

DC is awesome till you get arc blow it always seems to happen to me. Nice little machine have you tried hooking up a tig torch to it yet?

g_man

No, Not yet. That will make thin stuff easier I think. I also want to try running it off my little 5000 W generator. Should run 3/32 rods at least. Maybe even 100 Amps ?? I made my stake pockets kind of overly complicated so there would be a lots of continuous welding to give me a good feel for it. Now I can try some other stuff.

gg

Grandpa

Just a little reminder. The Everlast owners manual says to only run their welder with a generator that is rated for "clean power". Everlast ain't cheap and I would hate to see someone damage theirs due to a simple mistake. At least thats what the book for my 251si says.

Nice work guys, I'm enjoying this thread. 

Satamax

G_man, i have the earlier version, of this chinese welder. The one without the tig capabilities. But otherwise, the same fins in the front etc. I have had it may be ten years now. It's tough, i have spent afternoons full burning 4mm rods, without a glitch. But the led display has gone astray long time ago, may be one year from new. 

g_man

Quote from: Grandpa on June 03, 2018, 07:08:48 AM
Just a little reminder. The Everlast owners manual says to only run their welder with a generator that is rated for "clean power". Everlast ain't cheap and I would hate to see someone damage theirs due to a simple mistake. At least thats what the book for my 251si says.

Nice work guys, I'm enjoying this thread.
Thanks for the reminder. My PA 200ST manual says "can be used on small clean powered generators ( US and Canadian models )." Well I have a SVP5000 Generac that is 18 years old but runs fine. Mfg in Wisconsin but pretty old. I wonder if that would be OK ?? Any insight ??
gg

Skeans1

That would be a dirty power source, also you need X amount of continuous power. Clean power won't have the spike some gen sets are famous for.

g_man

Quote from: Skeans1 on June 03, 2018, 05:05:58 PM
That would be a dirty power source, also you need X amount of continuous power. Clean power won't have the spike some gen sets are famous for.
Thanks ! I was afraid that would be the case.

Skeans1

Now with a big enough gen set no reason you couldn't power it, I've thought about picking up an AHP 160 stick to hook up on a gen set for repair work in the field for 250 or less it's a throw away welder.

Hilltop366

Some electronics don't like to be run on non-sine wave generators, After a storm with lots of power outages I heard of some people around here that ruined there newer refrigerator electronics because it didn't like the power source.

62oliver

Made a few of these. Not exactly high in the "Daily Fabrication" skills department, but I will be glad I did it come deer hunting season, haha.

Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Puffergas

I just ordered this one from their web sit.

http://amicopower.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=86

The description claims some voltage variation is tolerable.

I wonder if something like a electric motor connected to the generator would help smooth out the generator output? MAybe a flywheel on the motor shaft.
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Puffergas

Amigo called to say that they will not ship until my address is confirmed (shipping not the same as billing). I confirmed and it made me happy that they would call! ! !. Have a tracking number now. The person on the phone sounded like a US of A citizen.
Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!