iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pto

Started by coxy, May 22, 2015, 08:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

has any one put one on an automatic   pros and cons of doing it   thinking of making a forwarder out of a army truck  it has a Allison in it

treeslayer2003

hmmm.......seems i have herd the ol man talk about this. they used to build home made skidders. i will ask him tomorrow.

Gearbox

I think you can put a pto on the transfer case and run the auto in 3 rd . I ran a wrecker with a auto Just put it in gear and shift the pto in then run it in nuteral . Gerbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

North River Energy

I have two Allisons, and both have a stamped plate that you remove to bolt on the PTO.
Or so it seems.
Put the trans in gear, engage PTO, put trans in neutral, then get busy.

From what I've researched so far, you're either going to spend a bunch of money on a new PTO box, or you're going to spend a bunch of time sorting through all the possible gear combinations suitable for your application, and then finding a good used unit to match.
Chelsea may have a master list somewhere with part numbers for gear ratios/transmissions.
I haven't got that far into the project yet.

shinnlinger

I would try to source a PTO from Memphis supply or some such as many army units had PTO's mounted for winches and what not. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Puffergas

I'll snap a photo of mine later this weekend.

Jeff
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

deere540

Try these guys:
http://www.ptohydraulics.com
I bought a Muncie TG series from them last year.  I told them what I had and what I wanted to do and they set it up for my application.  If your tranny has an SAE 6 or 8 bolt mounting pad they should be able to help you.  Good luck.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Gearbox on May 22, 2015, 09:45:24 PM
I think you can put a pto on the transfer case and run the auto in 3 rd . I ran a wrecker with a auto Just put it in gear and shift the pto in then run it in nuteral . Gerbox
this is what dad said. he said it worked ok for the winch but was a pain. he suggests for a pump, to run it off the front of the crank shaft so you have constant flow.

Puffergas

My Allison didn't have a PTO option so this is a picture of the transfer case PTO. It points towards the front winch. It set me back about $300.

Jeff
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

coxy

thanks for all the info     I was also told to run the pump off the front crank shaft lot less trouble  a few guys told me that if you don't get the right pto for the tranny it will make it over heat something to do with the converter  not being able to get in the lock mode making it labor  ??? not shur if im saying it right

Thank You Sponsors!