iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finaly got my sharpener and setter set up!

Started by vfauto, June 22, 2012, 07:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

I have had these for the last 4 months or so and just got them set up on a rooling bench. They are offset in height so I can sharpen and set at the same time.

The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

woodmills1

that looks real nice, I just hope nothing ever gets tangled............ :D

really nice set up.................. ;D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SPD748

Great looking bench. If I ever get around to buying a bandmill, its going to come with the Cook's sharpening setup for sure! Your arrangement reminds me of some sort of medieval torture device  :D

When I put some of my benches/tools on wheels I found that the shop seemed to double in size.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

bandmiller2

Nice setup,good you can set wile the cats claw is on auto pilot.Couple of things find a baking pan to put under the grinder to catch the grits and metal.Unless they changed the electrical boxes on the grinder to outdoor type, sealed, it helps to put some duct tape over the top to keep metal fileings out. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Vfauto, your setup is similar to mine.

My bench is only about 4.5' X 6'!

I could set a band while I'm sharpening another, but I elect not to, simply because the band will be sharpened before I got one set!

bandmiller2, good suggestion! :o smiley_thumbsup

I got out the caulking gun before I even fired my sharpener up.

Too many little holes and cracks in the electrical boxes, don't need to start putting metal filings in there! 

If I was going to do a mod on the sharpener, I would put a small light on it, near the grinding wheel, so I could adjust the grind a litle easier.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ronnie

I have got the TK sharpener and setter but haven't got it set up yet. This looks like a slick deal! My setup came with small rollers and bolts to mount to plywood to make a jig out of for the blade to ride on. What kind of setup do you have there that your blade is running on? Did it come with your sharpener?
TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

fat olde elf

Nice job on the set up. Chuck has a good point about setting vs sharpening time.  I can sharpen in about 7 to 8 minutes (14 foot bands) and it usually take a little longer for setting. It sure is good to not have to depend on others
for sharp bands.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

vfauto

Quote from: Ronnie on June 23, 2012, 02:11:24 AM
I have got the TK sharpener and setter but haven't got it set up yet. This looks like a slick deal! My setup came with small rollers and bolts to mount to plywood to make a jig out of for the blade to ride on. What kind of setup do you have there that your blade is running on? Did it come with your sharpener?
Yes the set up came with the equipment, they are 1/2" pieces of pipe so the rollers can be adjusted for differant size blades.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

vfauto

Thanks for all the comments! Now if I could just figure out the trick for setting blades I would be allset. I am having a hard time getting the setting part done right. I cannot get a consistent set on the blade.This setter checks the set with dial indicators after they are set and the reading on indicators is inconsistent. Any help would be great.

Well just heading out the door on Vacation,won't be checking the forum for a week.
Frank

Bibbyman

Looks sharp! If you're like me, you take a picture before you've used it and get everything gunked up.

With the dual tooth setter, it's far quicker to set a blade than to sharpen it. In my case the setter is a WM. But the speed should be about the same.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

Frank,setting is the hardest part,you will go mad if you try to get every tooth perfect.Have a means to check the set,I made a little device with a dial indicator but it can be done with a vernier caliper.It really helps setting and grinding if all your bands are the same manuf. and size.Adjust the setter as close as you can then just don't look at the indicators on the machine,go around sharpen and use.All that really matters is how it cuts,a couple of thou each way doesn't matter seems to average out. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

kgbond

Thinking about getting the same set up, how i
Is it going so far?
Kimball

Chuck White

Quote from: vfauto on June 23, 2012, 06:58:14 AM
Thanks for all the comments! Now if I could just figure out the trick for setting blades I would be allset. I am having a hard time getting the setting part done right. I cannot get a consistent set on the blade.This setter checks the set with dial indicators after they are set and the reading on indicators is inconsistent. Any help would be great.

Well just heading out the door on Vacation,won't be checking the forum for a week.
Frank

I believe that each tooth is an individual!

That is when I set at .025 +/- .001", I find that all of the teeth are not the same as I go around the band.

Some of them will have almost no set in them and some of them will be as much as .033", so some will respond when they are pushed to set and then will spring back a little, then using the same adjustment the next tooth may be set too much.  When over set, I use a pair of linemens pliers to bend it back a little and then recheck it.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

When I am setting on my cooks setter I shoot for .027 set. as long as it is between .025 and .030 I am happy. I use the higher level of set because of the wood I cut and the fact that I have lots of HP to push the blades.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!