iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I think I found me a new log truck

Started by Birchwood Logging, March 04, 2014, 05:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birchwood Logging

I just hired a guy to do some hauling for me. Put a stock load on the trucks this evening and was talking to him about his truck he is wanting to get out of the business so he offers to sell me his truck for $4000 it's a 98 gmc top kick with a 3116 cat motor and 6 speed trans. I'm thing about getting it what do you guys think 

John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

BargeMonkey

Thats by far a better choice than an old ford gas job. 3116 is mechanical and lots of parts still out there.

brendonv

I jave a 3116 in a bucket truck.  Low miles high hours from being flown.  Oil samples still come back like it was new, (10k hrs btw, 36,000 miles)

Its been good but its an auto and just a gutless pig.  Not sure how it would be in a stick shift truck.

Just something to keep in mind.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

snowstorm

goggle 3116 cat. get back to us in a couple days. it will take that long to read it all. a ford guy buying a gmc just isnt right. find a nice old lt9000 ford

barbender

I've been around a lot of Cat 3116 engines in asphalt pavers, they were great in that application. In fact, I was surprised to hear what junk a lot of people thought they were. From what I hear, they don't have much of a reputation for truck use, and I know Ponsse put them in their processors for a few years. The Ponsse service guys tell me those are the years to avoid :(
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Youve gotta compare apples to apples, he's looking at a "medium" duty spec truck, not that a 3116 is the greatest thing going but beats a tired gas engine. We recently turned down a sharp sterling tandem because it had a 3126, and in a tandem around here with 12-16 ton in the box it probably wouldnt get out of its own way. The truck market is full of single axles, but you have to watch specs, we bought a single axle sterling from brookside in MA and with a C-10 Cat its an animal. You might wanna check "truckpaper.com", im sure you can find a heavy spec mack for close to that money with a 237-300 6 and have an even better truck.

julio

All the parts for 3116 has to come from the cat house .Where is the nearest Cat place up there now ? They cost about twice as much to work as others.
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

BargeMonkey

Being an older engine there are alot of places to get parts from other than just Cat. You can get a good pulled 3116 for 5k. Try buying a rebuild drop in C-15 like in my triaxle. 30k large. I think hes making a good step up. Sometimes being medium duty they do price alot of the parts high, brakes, stuff like that.

terry f

Not to keep harping on it, but you might think about one with a couple more axles and a few more tires.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: terry f on March 06, 2014, 05:14:38 PM
   Not to keep harping on it, but you might think about one with a couple more axles and a few more tires.

An older mack with a 237-300 for about the same price. Thinking the same thing.

loggah

The Macks are good trucks ,but parts are pricey!! If your looking for a good dependable mid-range truck,look into international, Navistar. there tough and those DT series engines are almost bulletproof. My brother has around a dozen of them ,and they really work well. International parts are pretty much everywhere and most of the school busses around here are internationals. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

nedly05

I say buy it. It appears to be in good shape and set up how you like. I assume it has air brakes? It would be a huge step from the old ford. We have a 97 GMC single axle dump with a 3116 and (knock on wood) it has never let us down. Single axles seem to be the norm there, around here you don't see many trucks that haul less than 4 tier, most haul 5. Don't get to that point lol, stay small!!

Birchwood Logging

I think I might pass on this truck after watching this truck work for the past week it has to high of gearing and has hyd brakes leaks oil has a bad spider and the motor sounds bad when ideling it is also hooked on starting fluid I would be afraid to get out in it lol. I did find a gmc brigidaire tandem with a Detroit in it I think a 6v92 or a 671 not for sure
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

BargeMonkey

Thats the problem with medium duty spec trucks. Brakes on that truck are expensive, and your faced with boneyard parts on some of it. Truckpaper.com is the place to look. You can find a nice R model, decent power, not horrible on fuel and 2x what your doing now, plus be able to legally haul equipment on a trailer or on the back if you want.

nedly05

Ours had a 6 speed with 4:33 gears and like you say it was too high. We thought about changing to a lower gear but decided to change to a 13 speed and it made a huge difference. Sounds like that truck has some issues though so the tandem may be a better deal. Any pics or specs on it?

Birchwood Logging

It is a 82 gmc brigidaire live tandem has a 671 Detroit and a 10 speed trans spring suspension I have a standards to put on it here is a pic they are asking $2000 for it 

Dave Shepard

What's a 6-71 for hp, 238 I think? I've run them in twin screw farm trucks hauling silage. It'll be slower, but you are hauling twice as much.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ohio_Bill

Quote from: Birchwood Logging on March 09, 2014, 08:55:32 PM
It is a 82 gmc brigidaire live tandem has a 671 Detroit and a 10 speed trans spring suspension I have a standards to put on it here is a pic they are asking $2000 for it 

That is about scrap value.  I don't know how you could go wrong. IMHO
8)
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Dave Shepard

There is a trick to running an old Detroit like that. The old timers used to say you should slam your thumb in the door first thing in the morning and drive it mad all day long. That's one way. I found that what they really like is to put your foot all the way to the floor. When you run out of rpms, or the hood starts to shake a little too much, lift your foot all the way off the pedal and pull the stick into neutral. Then, just before you stomp that throttle as hard as you can, jam the shifter in the next gear and repeat. Don't get in the habit of trying to use high gear thinking it will be better to lower the rpms. It won't be happy, just let it scream. They are like a two stroke dirt bike, they won't make any power down low. Or much in the middle for that matter. :D It'll let you know if you are lugging it. It will make an awful low pitched reverbrating noise that feels like somebody is sticking their fingers in your ears right up to the ear drum. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ohio_Bill

Dave, what you said about Detroit's made me chuckle. My Father-in-law drove truck for 40 plus years and I have heard him say the same thing several times . He was a good man and raised 7 kids on a truck drivers pay .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Birchwood Logging

It might have a 6v92 in it the guy said it had a 6 cylinder Detroit wich one is a better motor the 671 or the 6v92

Dave Shepard

I have no experience with the 6v92. It's probably got a little more power, and I think that series is a little bit newer.

wiki says it is 253, 277, 300, or 335 HP. So it's got a little more oomph than a 6v71. It could also be a Turbo engine. Introduced in 1974.

MikeZ

Birchwood Logging: I had a 79 IH S2200 semi tractor on my hopper grain trailer. It had a 6v92 Detoit. I was very happy with it, and pretty economical. Yes it is a turbo, like everyone said scream it and it will run fine. Would come out of the field weighing 90,000 GVW. Don't lug it or it will use oil. Just some more insight for you.
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

redprospector

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 09, 2014, 09:22:53 PM
There is a trick to running an old Detroit like that. The old timers used to say you should slam your thumb in the door first thing in the morning and drive it mad all day long. That's one way. I found that what they really like is to put your foot all the way to the floor. When you run out of rpms, or the hood starts to shake a little too much, lift your foot all the way off the pedal and pull the stick into neutral. Then, just before you stomp that throttle as hard as you can, jam the shifter in the next gear and repeat. Don't get in the habit of trying to use high gear thinking it will be better to lower the rpms. It won't be happy, just let it scream. They are like a two stroke dirt bike, they won't make any power down low. Or much in the middle for that matter. :D It'll let you know if you are lugging it. It will make an awful low pitched reverbrating noise that feels like somebody is sticking their fingers in your ears right up to the ear drum. :o
Hahaha. I bought a 1970 Cabover White with a 671 once, in another life. I was cussing at and about it at the Lie-N-Brag truck stop in Dalhart, TX when an old driver walked over and said; "Been drivin' a Cummins, eh?"  :D
He promptly told me how to drive a Detroit (but he said to slam the door on my finger 3 times before taking off  :D). Worked like a charm. That old Detroit actually started running, unfortunately, I had already grown to hate the truck and there was no kissing and making up. I kept her around for years, but went out and got a KW with a 350 Cummins.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

BargeMonkey

For 2k + or - I think your stepping in the right direction. A 671 makes 239hp, non turbo. Does it have a jake brake ?  Thats a big help, but they arent super effective on a detroit. Running it loaded down the hill screaming against the jake will destroy that engine. We have purged our fleet of all but 1 detroit, 8v92 single turbo in a tandem still hanging around. Just keep the oil changed, air clean and straight weight 40 oil in it and you should be fine.

10 yrs ago guys out here "maritime industry"  said the "detroits will never go away". HA. the company I work for went from 200+ 2 strokes to less than 10 in 5 years. These deere 6068 and 6081 have become the new industry standard.

Thank You Sponsors!