iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miking

Eagles really aren't accustomed to killing things as they typically just find dead fish to eat. I suppose he just gave up when the octopus fought back for a while.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

sandhills

The salmon were running while I was in Alaska and I can say first hand that eagles are excellent fishers, they weren't dead fish either, but I'm sure scavaging? is one of their strong suits.

WildDog

Our Wedgetail eagles down here are both predators and scavengers especially on road kills. They are a big eagle with a six ft plus wing span, regularly taking live lambs, my mates weaning rate this year was only 40% due primarily to "Wedgy" eagle predation. We only get a breeding pair here each year and they don't cause any problems unlike the crows, we would of lost 50 goat kids to crows this season.

In 2000 my old partner and I were driving a truck load of 16 prisoners in the outback from the station to jail and a Wedgtail was feeding off roadkill, it was early morning and the eagle couldn't get altitude quick enough, he got caught between the mirror and the window. My partner was driving with the window down and got this big screaching head in the cab :D funny now but not at the time.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

No pictures, but for years I have noticed a little flock of 6 or 8 wild ducks spend the winter at the mouth of Hartley Brook where it dumps into the Presque Isle River. The little brooks here never seem to freeze over solid like years ago.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Maybe the Winter has been too mild, but I have only seen one flock of Wood Ducks, and no geese.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

MM, your geese are still up here. Thousands flying around last evening.

Wanted to share a video brought to my attention. The slow motion parts provide some real insight to the way birds move through the air.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CFckjfP-1E&feature=player_embedded
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

That is amazing.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Those things hunt in my plantation corridors for grouse and I suppose rabbit. I have seen them catch grouse. I see them in winter.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

miking

It looks like a good way for him to eventually break the bird's wings.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Norm

Don't care for that anymore than I do circus animal tricks.

doctorb

I think that video is pretty informative.  I've seen these hunt in the forest. Those openings are child's play for that magnificent animal.  They are built for attack and capture in tight places.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

After we get over this storm and it gets cold this weekend, I need to take a journey up to my woodlot to see what I'm missing. ;)

miking

Quote from: Norm on January 13, 2012, 07:46:28 AM
Don't care for that anymore than I do circus animal tricks.

You got it! I mean, it's amazing for sure but sooner or later the bird will pay for it.

Magicman

But the fact is their eyes and reflects are so in tune that their prey catching abilities are uncanny.  It was amazing how it adapted and changed it's flight pattern to adjust for different size and shaped obstacles.

Hawks and other birds of prey make those adjustments every day in the wild.

SwampDonkey

Should see ravens, they'll fly upside down and rotate in play with one another. They'll drive an eagle nuts making play.

submarinesailor

Back on the 2nd, I was down in the Syria house I heard something outside.  Looking around I saw this guy flying around.  The first 3 images are at what I thought was the max zoom on my new camera I received in June.  After watching him for a few minutes I noticed that the zoom indicator wasn't all the way over.  So I held the zoom switch over for a few more seconds and boy was I surprised.  Man did it zoom in some more.  He was about 280-300 feet for me.

I think I'm going to like this camera.

Bruce

Magicman

It must have gone from optical to digital zoom.  Hold it still and as you see, you got some nice shots.   :)

Migal

You have to admit is amazing. now put some whiskey in her and she how she flies.   jk :P
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

beenthere

Nice catch. On the camera too. :)

Nice bird to have around the woods. And not the easiest to get a pic of such as yours.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I have to drive them from the yard once in awhile, they are at an old maple that the power company is suppose to take down since Nov 2010.  ::)

Norm

I know they can do it in the wild but that's at their behest not for the camera staged.

Bruce great pictures, what camera are you using? I remember the first time I ever saw one or rather heard it first. Very cool bird.

thecfarm

Nice pictures. By the time I see one,they fly off. I have a few around here,I can tell by the mess they leave.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

You can tell when your balsam fir is no longer any good, they will move right in and peck the buts full of square holes.

beenthere

Quote from: thecfarm on January 14, 2012, 07:53:06 AM
Nice pictures. By the time I see one,they fly off. I have a few around here,I can tell by the mess they leave.
The pileated woodpecker has a very distinctive and frequent call and it is rare when in my woods that I don't hear one. Ours are pretty obvious as they seem to call often, usually as they are flying tree to tree. Not as often to see one or hear one tearing into a tree, but common to see the wood debris or the holes they leave. Have had them around the 40+ years I've been here.
When one would almost disappear into a big white oak near my house, I decided it was time to drop that tree if it had that much internal decay.

Here is a recording of a pileated woodpecker call.
http://www.pileatedwoodpeckercentral.com/audio.htm
south central Wisconsin

miking

I never get tired of watching pileateds.

Thank You Sponsors!