iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The 2013 Great Portable Sawmill Shoot-Out Returns to the Paul Bunyan Show(TM)

Started by Walter, September 02, 2013, 11:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter

The Great Portable Sawmill Shoot-Out
October 4-6, 2013
The Paul Bunyan Show
Guernsey County Fairgrounds
Cambridge, Ohio

Mark your calendars and get yourself registered.  Attend The Paul Bunyan Show where once again The Great Portable Sawmill Shoot-Out(TM) will take place in Cambridge , Ohio, October 4-6, 2013.  In addition, you can register to attend one of 6 seminars being offered by Gene Wengert known as the Wood Doctor and Brian Bond of Virgina Tech.  Go to www.ohioforest.org to register for the show and the seminars.  Get more up-to-date info at www.sawmillmag.com.  See you there!

york

Walter,
I followed the link but could not find where to get registered..
Albert

DR_Buck

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DR_Buck

This is only a couple weeks away.   Is anybody else going?   I'm fairly sure the Forestry Forum will have a booth.

ET

Oh ya, my wife, Linda and I will be there. We made our hotel reservations months ago, otherwise you have to drive extra miles for a room. Im speaking from experience; great time, lots of things to do.

Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

ET

Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Wildflower

Jeff and I had every intention of being there this year, but because of reasons beyond our control we will miss it this year. We have spoken to Tammy at Logrite and she has said our Forestry Forum members may meet at the Logrite booth #443 on the corner of treeline trail and bunyan blvd.  Thank you Tammy and Kevin.

We hope to make the next one.
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

DR_Buck

Kitty and I will be arriving Thursday evening.  We are planning on staying at the fairgrounds camping area.   Alternative is the state park where we stayed last time.  We should make a decision this week after I confirm if the fairground has full hookup.  I don't want to deal with a full waste tank as this will be our last outing of the season.

DR_Buck

Unanticipated events have forced a change of plans.  In other words, we're not going to make it.  >:(

lineguy82

I'm plan on going to the shootout, do you have to register in advance to watch it?
95 chevy 4x4
Husky 562xp
Hardy H5
22T Countyline Splitter
...and hopefully a sawmill when the wife finishes college

ET

Last year was the firewood processor shootout and everything was fairly accessible. They did put up caution tape keeping the crowds from getting into dangerous areas but that was it. If they have the shootout in the same location then all the mills should be readily viewable. This will be my first sawmill shootout too!
Ernie

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

dboyt

Just a heads up that the Paul Bunyan Show and Great Portable Sawmill Shoot-Out will be next weekend (Oct 4-6) in Cambridge, OH.  In addition, there will be seminars, including one by Gene Wengert.  I hope to meet some FF folks there!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Skoalbandit78

I plan on being there. Being a new mill owner I am excited to be going.

Nomad

I'll be there Friday and Saturday.  Look for the big old fat guy with a Florida tan. :D :D  (If he's wearing a tourist shirt, IT AIN'T ME!!!)  Hopefully I'll meet some new old friends I've never laid eyes on before.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

acrosteve

I am wanting to go, but normally work on Saturday.  The show schedule for Sunday looks a little thin, and it's over at 3.

Toss in the 2-1/2 hr drive each way, and I can't make up my mind, but i really would enjoy it more on Saturday after looking at the schedule.
http://www.ohioforest.org/?page=PBSSchedule
Timberking B-20

Qweaver

I'll be there.  As a WPF owner,  I want to see what I'm doing wrong.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

manoverboard

I'm planning to attend Saturday, I'll be wearing my new TK hat!!! :D
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

chance33

Since daughter lives only a 1/2 hr. away I gotta go and pick-up a skid winch!!
Mahindra 4025 4wd, FEL, Farm351P, Turner portable mill w/ 25 hp Honda, Wood Beaver 16 Processor.

millstead

I will be there Friday. is there going to be a forestry forum booth for guys to meet up at

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

On Friday I am giving a seminar on bandsaws at 9am, with WM and Lenox.

Then one on edging at 12:30pm

Then one on choosing a kiln at 3pm

Saturday has several by Brian Bond on sawing
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

drobertson

Here now, and it will be a great showing for all interested in the industry. A very accessible location, beautiful country, great staff and coordination. There will be much to see, and for those who, like I enjoy some good eats while viewing the latest and greatest machines and events, on a beautiful October week-end,  why not come out?       david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ET

Well we have arrived in Cambridge. Were staying at the Comfort Inn. Looking forward to see ya all tomorrow!  Heck with the grits, gimme the kettle corn!
Ernie

Dan_Shade

I'm staying in zanesville with my gf.  I'll see you folks tomorrow.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Nomad

Didn't get a chance to talk with any Forum members today, but wasn't that Dboyt doing the official announcing for the manual mill shoot-out?  And Drobertson as official horn blower to get it started?
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dan_Shade

drobertson

Quote from: nomad on October 04, 2013, 09:00:24 PM
     Didn't get a chance to talk with any Forum members today, but wasn't that Dboyt doing the official announcing for the manual mill shoot-out?  And Drobertson as official horn blower to get it started?
You have that right,  and have to say for my first shoot out experience I might have been more excited than the competitors.  The manual mill event was one to see, and I have to say these machines and operators/off bearers were a sight to see.  All stock machines, off the shelf, making lumber from logs as quick as possible.
It was very exciting, and will be again tomorrow, October 5th, at 10 in the morning with the hydraulic mills going at it.
This is a very friendly event with every team helping each other, but don't be fooled into thinking that the fastest is not in the equation.  These teams show their machines and the capability of the machines to the fullest extent,  while keeping the deepest respect for each other.        david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ET

David hit the nail on the head. Watching these teams compete was quite an experience. The crowd was 4 times as big as last years firewood shootout. Lucas will be their today; Rah Rah Lucas!

Tam-i-am

Wish we could be there, but we had a family emergency to take care of.

feel free to use our booth as a meeting place.   Andy from Oesco is representing us.  Unfortunately, he doesn't have any brownies.   :(
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

ET

We've left the PB and wow what a crowd today. The shootout was awesome, saw a few FF members including a nice chat with logboy, man does he have energy. He must have taken a thousand photos. Lots to see a d buy. Got a new logrite peavy with the firewood base. Spoke with the Nyle kiln folks and went to one of Gene Wengerts seminars. Learned lots of stuff, need to go home and rest. But were now headed to Cincinnati for the last day of the olde west festival Sunday.

logboy

Its midnight, and my energy just ran out after sorting nearly 4,000 photos I took at the shootout. It was great meeting some of the folks from the forum today. Sorry I didn't have more time to chat, I was busy running around trying to be in four places at once.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

dgdrls

Look forward to hearing and seeing photo's of how the shoot-out went.
I understand Peterson was there,  how did they fair??

Thanks
DGDrls

ET

Yes they were. They had a great team running their 2 machines. They competed both days and they were putting out the lumber just like all the others. Lucas only competed in the larger machines as they only brought a 10-30. Peterson had their Jr their on friday. I think it did well.

dgdrls

Quote from: ET on October 06, 2013, 08:35:09 AM
Yes they were. They had a great team running their 2 machines. They competed both days and they were putting out the lumber just like all the others. Lucas only competed in the larger machines as they only brought a 10-30. Peterson had their Jr their on friday. I think it did well.

Surprised to hear they attended I spoke with them about the show schedule and understood they were not going.
Did a "privateer" represent them at the show??

thanks
DGDrls

ET

DgDris, Ian from downunder straight from Lucas was there. Plus a couple of real swell fellows to run the mill. They did awsome and i learned a few techniques that i may try myself. Ernie

logboy

I'm curious what you saw that youre going to try on your own mill.  Do you have one of their DVDs?
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

ET

Hey Logboy, you rested up yet! I had lots of fun watching you getting all twisted up getting those up and under shots of the mills running while the sawdust was flying. I cant wait to see them.

I just thougt that loading 4 logs on the bunks at one time was pretty neat; certainly a time saver.  Ian also showed my how to saw the bunks they were using. Also Ian told me that they never use the water tank as its not necessary unless your getting pitch or other crap buildup on the blade. Not messing with the water will certainly save a step and reduce time. Time is money.

Yes i have the disk and Ian gave me a bunch of them to pass out to any FF member that would like one. I think this disk may be newer than mine so im looking forward to watching again.

Ian also completely explained a safety guard that is only on the 10-30 and showed me how to set it up. Mine has been off for a long time because it always got hung up on the log. I got lots to do. Ernie

beenthere

QuoteI just thougt that loading 4 logs on the bunks at one time was pretty neat; certainly a time saver.  Ian also showed my how to saw the bunks they were using. Also Ian told me that they never use the water tank as its not necessary unless your getting pitch or other crap buildup on the blade. Not messing with the water will certainly save a step and reduce time. Time is money.

Yes i have the disk and Ian gave me a bunch of them to pass out to any FF member that would like one. I think this disk may be newer than mine so im looking forward to watching again.

Ian also completely explained a safety guard that is only on the 10-30 and showed me how to set it up. Mine has been off for a long time because it always got hung up on the log. I got lots to do. Ernie

I wonder who Ian is? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ET

Beenthere; in my previous post I mentioned that Ian is from Lucas (Australia).  He has been with Lucas I believe maybe since it was founded, dont quote me on that but i know for a long time.  I think Ian is the one sawing in the Lucas videos.

He also told me the best way to set up the frame for loading a d stabilization and sawdust etc.  every little bit of technique helps in putting out great service and product for our customers and Im very grateful for what i learned this past weekend.  Ernie

Nomad

Beenthere, that was Ian Schulz.  He's a technical consultant for Lucas. 
     As an aside, I've got a few of the new Lucas DVDs too.  These are not promo videos.  I haven't watched it yet, but Ian says it's got a bunch of hints and tips on it.  Any Forum member with a Lucas can contact me about getting one, same as ET. 
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Seaman

ET, can we expect a long post on all the tips Ian shared with you?
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

ET

Hi Frank.

I'll try and remember what Ian and I talked about. I stopped both Friday and Saturday at the Lucas booth and much was talked about. Some tips are time saving, setup, and informative. These are in no preference to order

1.  Water is not always necessary for sawing; it neither lubricates nor cools the blade unless the species of wood builds up residue on the blade.

2. The center rail support is not normally needed, but make sure to set the posts inward on the rails inside the decals; and not on the end of the rails. If you do use the center support then make sure it is situated on the same side as the other 2 supports.

3. Make sure you set the head on the rails so the sawdust flys toward the 2 or 3 supports.

4. Design your bunks to hold 3 logs if equal diameter and you can also load 2more logs on top of them, then saw saw and saw. They did this in the shootout.

5. They also used the aluminum bunk adjustable gigs at their demo location. (Not during shootout) I may invest in a set from watching them being used; pretty slick and easy.

6. They also have developed a new anti slip brake; (the brake sometimes slips) so my older machine needs retrofitted.

7. They have a re-tipping jig that attaches to the sawblade and you can re-tip right on the job if you need to.

8. No more than light pressure is needed during slabbing. If you are applying alot of pushing then you need to make sure you use your file-o-plate everytime you sharpen the chain.

9. On my 10-30 there is a safety plate on the opposite side of the operator. I took mine off shortly after i set my mill up cus it always hung up on the log being cut. Ian showed me exactly how to install it and explained the need for it. Again this only applies to the 10-30

We talked alot about alot of stuff. Hope any of this helps and/or makes sense.

Ernie

thecfarm

You can remember quite well. Those shows are great. Every one should take the time and go.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SPIKER

Was there a Customer (Norwood?) show coming up in Lodi Ohio?   remember seeing something about it & was thinking it was mid October or did I miss it???   
thanks

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

JohnM

Holy mackerel do I need one of those DVDs!  I've had the Lucas set up at a friends house (30+ miles away :() for the last two weeks sawing up center rot cedar for a deck he wants to build.  He's a good friend and I owe him for help over the years but if this was a 'real' job I would have passed on it (the slab/scrap pile is as big or bigger than the lumber pile ::)).  That said once I was there a couple of neighbors of his decided they needed some lumber so it has lead to 'some' money, not nearly enough to even pay for my gas but it's making for good experience. 

The more I use the Lucas the more I get the sense I'm not doing everything 'quite' right so I'm guessing that dvd would be a big help.  Nomad, I have your email, I'll send a note in a minute.  If you could send a copy along that would be great!  Just let me know how much shipping is.  And if Nomad is out I may come to you ET. ;D

Quote from: ET on October 09, 2013, 09:36:42 AM

2. The center rail support is not normally needed, but make sure to set the posts inward on the rails inside the decals; and not on the end of the rails. If you do use the center support then make sure it is situated on the same side as the other 2 supports.

Ernie
I'm using the cent post because I have the outside posts set at 17' (well outside/on the decals) so I can cut 16' 6"ish 2x4s.  Wondering if I'm 'ok' doing that?  It seems to be working so I guess I'm answering my own question. :-\

I may have to seriously consider going to the next PB show.  It's a haul and a half for me but to see and talk to someone that knows how to properly set up and run one of these machines would be well worth for me I think.

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

ayerwood

Like JohnM, I also cut a lot of 16 foot lumber.  I had the same question about the decal/post location info.  If I am out that far, does the power head "sag" when I get to the center of the rails in that 16 foot span?  If the mill is stated to cut 20 foot plus lumber, and rail extensions are offered to cut even longer, then what needs to be done if you shouldn't have those two posts toward the ends of the rails?  I have never had any real problems with cutting longer stuff, but do get some funny business sometimes.  I mostly think it is stress in the log itself. But after hearing this???  Also, when I get to only a few inches or so and there is movement in that last flimsy piece, things get tricky but that is always expected.  Is there a suggested "fix"?  Thanks guys.

ET

I believe setting the posts inside the decals allows the rails to become much more stable so the center support is not necessary that's all.  That is if your only cutting logs the length of the distance between the posts.  The center support keeps the horizontal cuts from bouncing.  If your cutting full horizontal 10" cut your going to get bounce, even with the central support installed, that's why you should always take your width, divide by 2 and take 2 horizontal cuts to avoid the bounce.

If in fact you are sawing a log up the to length allowed per specs then you need to place the uprights to the ends of the rails and use the center support as instructed.  The only point made was that it is not always not always necessary to use the center support depending on the length of your logs.   I have never, and don't believe the rails will sag at any point, they are very sturdy.  I've cut some very long logs and have never had a problem.
Ernie

JohnM

ET, email and PM sent.  Not sure if they got to you so figured I'd say it here too.

Btw, these are the only 16 footers I've milled, I normally have the posts closer together, though I'm not sure I had them inside the decals.  Learning things hourly with this mill.  :)  Not looking forward to doing 20 footers. :-\  (may never be an issue...he said knowingly.......)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Jeff

Quote from: JohnM on October 11, 2013, 11:33:38 AM
ET, email and PM sent.  Not sure if they got to you so figured I'd say it here too.
Note on that. :)   Forum PMs sent from one member to another are the most sure wire way of getting a message through. It will be sent, it will be received, and the recipient will get some sort of visual clue there is a message waiting. You just can't be sure that it will be read. :D

I hate email. You never know for sure.  Also, for those of you that do not know, so you can keep track, there is a place in your message preferences to keep a copy of your message in a sent box. If the message is in your sent box, you know for sure it was sent. If you don't have the sent box enabled, there is always the possibility that you might hit preview instead of send, and then never really send the message. It's just a way of checking and knowing for sure.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ayerwood

Thanks ET.  I got to thinking about that today.  Like I said, I have never had any real problem with long lengths.  More of a reply by me in the moment.   :-\  A little wobble is expected on those.  I usually try to keep the posts within a foot of the length of the logs(6" over each end) I am cutting to try to minimize that.  I do most of my cutting on a concrete pad so the middle posts haven't been used in forever.   ;D

ET

Hi John. Made special trip to nearest town and got it in the mail by 3pm. Prolly still take couple days. I viewed the new DVD today and WOW it shows everything. Wish it was available when i got my 10-30. Their is a specific section that only outlines the protective guard on the 10-30. I posted a thread maybe 6 months ago inquiring information about this guard but maybe no one was using it. With this new DVD there is no doubt on how to install it or the reason for it. Thanks Ian! You did a fantastic job!
Ernie

JohnM

Quote from: ET on October 11, 2013, 07:51:21 PM
Hi John. Made special trip to nearest town and got it in the mail by 3pm. Prolly still take couple days. I viewed the new DVD today and WOW it shows everything. Wish it was available when i got my 10-30. Their is a specific section that only outlines the protective guard on the 10-30. I posted a thread maybe 6 months ago inquiring information about this guard but maybe no one was using it. With this new DVD there is no doubt on how to install it or the reason for it. Thanks Ian! You did a fantastic job!
Ernie
smiley_thumbsup Thanks again, ET.  Can't wait to see it.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Thank You Sponsors!