iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ID help on two trees, coastal central NJ

Started by grandkodiak, November 11, 2018, 04:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandkodiak

Hey all... just recently got around to using the Audubon guide and online as my parents have many different types of tree and plants/flowers, they were both gardeners and landscape fans. We have jap maples, norway spruces, birch, juniper , beachwood etc... but Im having trouble with two. Seeing as many flowers and shrubs arent native they arent in the book like their andromeda. That aside they are both 30+' and 35+ year old trees that I cant ID.

The first might be sick as the bark is flaking off to the hardwood core. Leaves are fine saw tooth and elongated as well. It drops large singular shaped dark berries (not blackberry w multiple round clusters) in spring. Leaves are alternative on the branch.

The second as I recall drops long large pods in spring, but the leaves are massive, larger then a spread hand and then some. (In my pic it has dead vines growing up it)

WV Sawmiller

Could the 2nd be Catapla? The leaf looks similar and has big leaves and long beans. Does it have a strong smell when you crush the leaf? They typically grow near or over the water. If it is you may find caterpillars periodically come eat all the leaves off it. The worms are great fish bait.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

curdog

WV Sawmiller

What do the fruit on #1 look like? Any chance it could be a Blackgum? They have purple or black single seeded fruits (Drupes) like a plum if I recall properly
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

That's what I was thinking. Look up at the branches, do you see a lot of 45 degree angles?

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WV Sawmiller

I first wondered about that but the description drove me to think possibly Catalpa. My basswood (and I have several in front of my house) have sawtooth edges I don't see on this leaf. The long, bean like pods sure sounds like Catalpa. If he crushes the leaf and gets a strong, almost coffee like smell that would help confirm Catalpa.

The bark does look like my basswood though. I don't have any catalpa close by to compare to.
Howard Green

WDH

Basswood has serrated leaf margins.  I agree with catalpa on #2.  Still figuring on #1. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DPatton

The Northern Catalpa I have in my area has very large leaves 8"-10"long, it produces dense clusters of showy white flowers in the spring. The seed pods on mature trees in my area are roundish and about the diameter of a small to medium sized finger, 10"-24" in length. I have only sawn a few logs of it but it earns the nickname" skunkwood "for good reason. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

mike_belben

Post a pic of the whole tree for #1.  Black gum will be given away by its structure usually
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!