iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making a keyway?

Started by Satamax, August 31, 2016, 05:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

I need your advice guys.

I have those threaded rods in my log dogs, that i need to repower.

You can see in the picture bellow the sleeve sticking out of the reductor. What i would like to do, is to cut away that sleeve with a mill, to make a keyway, matching the keyseat in the screw.

All of this would be held in place by a "ringfeder" twin cone lock

I can't see any adverse effect in doing this, but others might see something that i don't .

Thanks a lot for your help guys.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Kbeitz

Is that 4150 or something hard or hardened ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ozarkgem

If I understand you correctly you want to make a solid connection between the gearbox and the screws right?  I would use a flexible coupling like a Lovejoy. You will never get them lined up perfect for a solid connection and eventually something will break.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Satamax

Hi Guys.

Thanks a lot for your replies.

KBeitz, sorry i don't know. I didn't think about this. But i'll scratch the edge with a file to see.

Ozarkgem.

It's a bit late now ;D

To explain better.  It's to power this

I have dismantled the gearbox and screw sleeve at the left. 

And will affix the sleeve reductor shown above to the metal plate welded to the end of the log dog body. The two dogs run in a rail. I will block the right one in position, so it doesn't float anymore. It has a babbet bearing inside, which holds the end of the screw; no thread.  Only the left will move onto the screw. I will see if it's all too tight. But i don't have much choice now that i have started.

Thanks again.

Max.

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Kbeitz

If it's hardened the only way to get a keyway is by grinding.
It can be done. Very small cut off wheels work.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Satamax

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 01, 2016, 07:27:34 AM
If it's hardened the only way to get a keyway is by grinding.
It can be done. Very small cut off wheels work.

It's what i was thinking anyway. With a 125mm stainless steel disc on the small angle grinder. Or may be even with the dremel.

Satamax

Kbeitz, It's not hardened, the file goes through it.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Satamax on September 01, 2016, 02:26:31 PM

Great... If you know someone that has a mill or mill drill
they could hog one out real easy...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Satamax

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 01, 2016, 06:21:34 PM
Quote from: Satamax on September 01, 2016, 02:26:31 PM

Great... If you know someone that has a mill or mill drill
they could hog one out real easy...
I have a Axminster branded Rong fu RF25! :D

http://www.rongfu.com/en/Milling-Drilling-Machine/RF-25.html

Kbeitz

I got one that looks almost like yours but mine came from Grizzly tools.
It should easy do the job...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Satamax

Yep, that's a rong fu too. Looks just like mine except the metal belt cover, and it's green. And i have the switch to the side IIRC.

By the way, what are the two switches on the depth gage?

Kbeitz

Quote from: Satamax on September 02, 2016, 12:33:49 AM
Yep, that's a rong fu too. Looks just like mine except the metal belt cover, and it's green. And i have the switch to the side IIRC.

I turned mine into a cnc. Its run by an old Commodore 64 computer.
You can see some of the drive motors in this picture.

Controles are in this picture...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ozarkgem

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 02, 2016, 02:55:33 AM
Quote from: Satamax on September 02, 2016, 12:33:49 AM

I turned mine into a cnc. Its run by an old Commodore 64 computer.
You can see some of the drive motors in this picture.

Controles are in this picture...

I built a machine in the early 80's and used a Commodore computer to control it. I think I still have the computer somewhere.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Kbeitz

I would love to do it again. I see relay boards for sale on Ebay.
My problem is I learned the BASIC language and I don't know
another so I would have no idea on how to program anything
today. I think I'm to old to learn another language all over again.
I really liked the BASIC language. Programing the computer
to mill a circle was a real challenge.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Some of you fellas on here are amazing.  Seriously.  Makes me feel like a caveman still in the stone ages.  :laugh:
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Satamax

A bit closer to what it should be.

ozarkgem

Satamax

Well, there's some work to do.

Make a thick steel plate, into which hex head screws will be recessed. To hold the reductor onto the plate. Then, affix the plate to the steel plate at the end of the "claws" Then devise a way to attach to the saw bed. May be find a way so they can move.

After, fill the metal enclosure i have; with relays, push buttons etc. Wire it all.

Then start thinking about the log turner.

Brought back a sharpener this week too.

Seaman

Ox, I was just thinking the same thing. I know I am not dumb, but some of these guys are special!
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Satamax

Ox Seaman, i can't say for the others. But i'm normal. Just a diy'er.

Thank You Sponsors!