iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Ash Tomorrow

Started by Glenn1, August 31, 2016, 09:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

I picked up 1000 bf of ash and it goes to the mill tomorrow for a combination of QS, 4/4, and 8/4.  Some logs fairly good size hearts similar to the maple family.  From what I can see in pictures, it seems that people use both the sap and the heartwood.  Would you agree?  Anything special to know about sawing the logs or air drying with fans?
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Beavertooth

I have used a lot of ash for my own use and I have always used sap and heart it all looks beautiful. When it air drys it does not have any of the bad qualities that oak has like twisting, cupping, and splitting. It stays flat and straight. Real nice wood to work with. It is lighter than oak also and will not shrink as much when drying because it will not have as much moisture as oak to start with.  Fairly hard when sawing it.  Have fun tomorrow.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

WV Sawmiller

Glenn,

Good luck with it.

I have a couple logs I'll cut next week I guess and fell a few more once I sell what I have cut. It smells like old honey (Ever find an old bee tree in the woods?) to me when sawing. I do have to use lots of lubricant as it gums up my blades. I cut with 4 degree blades. It is sometimes bad to split as it is so straight grained. it is pretty wood and pretty low moisture I understand. One lady customer and now her husband like it for alternating with cherry and walnut to make cutting boards. I sold a little last week to a guy to make some lazy Susans.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

It can have a lot of stress, so watch closely and turn the cant often. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Glenn1

Quote from: WDH on September 01, 2016, 08:20:56 AM
It can have a lot of stress, so watch closely and turn the cant often.

Danny,  would you put fans on the air drying  wood 24/7 like I do with maple?
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

WDH

I have not used fans on ash, but I bet that it will really speed drying and keep the color nice and bright.  Ash is such a nice wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

This Ash flooring was air dried only.

Installed and before staining and sealing.

I was very pleased with the way it turned out. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Glenn1

Your flooring looks great!   Now, I'm more enthusiastic about the ash.

thechknhwk

Larry

Not just for floors.

A work in progress.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

123maxbars

The ash I am current cutting is ate up with Ash bore.

Good Luck! One of my fav woods to saw! I am putting back a few thousand feet for my kids future. i bet this stuff will be sought after one day when it's no longer obtainable. 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 02, 2016, 08:21:39 PM
Nice ash, Larry!

I didn't even know you liked him.  :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tnaz

Larry

Should I be flattered or embarrassed? :D

Probably best to remain silent.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tnaz

Probably best to remain silent.

:D :D :D

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

buzywoodliff

I've got a couple small ash to cut for a buddy that needs a few 2x6's for a shed repair..... After seeing these pictures it's going to be very difficult, way too pretty for utility wood!!

Thank You Sponsors!