iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore logs

Started by johnnyllama, September 05, 2016, 05:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyllama

These sycamore logs followed me home the other day. The tree was cut while a site nearby was being cleared and the contractor was good enough to set it aside and later load it for me after I cut it to lengths. Although he didn't ask for any money I still insisted he take some, keep on his good side! I'm thinking I will mostly quarter saw, with a few live edge slabs for table tops. I've never cut sycamore so wondering, how much does it move in air drying, how hard is it, etc? Appreciate any input. It will all go to our cabinet shop use, not for selling as lumber.

Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

pineywoods

Quarter saw that sycamore, otherwise it will warp, twist and cup in ways you can't imagine. Making cabinets out of sycamore will be a challenge...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Glenn1

I wish that I can find some large sycamore logs.  I purchased 5 logs and we got 500 bf out of them.  We QS them and they came out very straight after kiln drying them.  I wish I could find more as I only have 50 bf left.  My customers love them and have continually come back for more.  Any chance that you can ship some south?
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

ozarkgem

anchor seal the ends good. It will split.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

johnnyllama

I've already anchor sealed the ends, 2 coats in fact. My main plan is for door panels, maybe with walnut or cherry frames. I like contrast with darker woods, plus I figure thinner panels in a more stable wood frame might keep things from any twist. I will dry everything stacked under another unit of wood for weight and see if I can keep warp and twist to a minimum.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Sixacresand

Cousin wants 2 inch slabs cut from a sycamore log I have for a table top.  Plan is to join two ten foot slabs, one side edged, the other live edge.   He came up with this idea this morning after his grand kids gathered around a crowded too small breakfast table before a dove shoot at his creek house.  We going to give it a shot. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Brad_bb

I've never had the occasion to cut sycamore yet, but I have some 120+ year old barn rafters that are sycamore and seems like a pretty soft wood like tulip poplar or softer.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

customsawyer

Sycamore cuts pretty easy. If it is quarter sawed it will be a lot more stable than if it is flat sawed.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

xlogger

I've never saw Sycamore before but would like to get a couple logs to try. On quarter sawing, how clean does the log need to be (knots or clean faces)? Your logs look nice.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

dboyt

You'll love the grain of the quartersawn sycamore.  It is also called "American lacewood" because of the quilted appearance of the grain.  I've got some fair size sycamore (40"+ dia) that I am quartering with a chain saw before putting them on the mill.  Not too many places you can get 20" wide quartersawn sycamore!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

WDH

Slabs from those logs will be tough to keep flat unless sawn from the center of the tree.  Sycamore has spiral grain.  Most of the first flatsawn cuts off the log to square the cant will turn into pretzels.  Nothing that you can do about that.  So, slab a little heavy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

killamplanes

I like cutting sycamore. Ur blade slides right threw it
With ease. Bad about cupping ,twisting etc. Yours appears to not have ring shake. Which is common on the first log atleast here. Enjoy.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

scully

I would only quarter saw . Make real sure the pith is centered when you cut . Unless you are building a multie directional rocking chair .
I bleed orange  .

killamplanes

jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

jimparamedic

makes great lumber. just keep it out over the sun and it will dry fine

johnnyllama

Sounds like the consensus is to quarter saw. I think I might try some quartersawn slabs keeping one live edge for the outer edges of a table top, and just saw enough pieces at 2 1/2" thick to glue up a complete top. Seems like if it's all quartersawn I should be able to keep it flat once dried. The rest will be sliced up for door panels.
They are decent logs, straight and no knots in 2 of the 3. The 3rd one has a couple knots. I'll get some photos.

Joey Grimes

I agree with everyone about the quatersawing .I've had best luck quatering the log then retruing the faces the opening quater cuts usally  realeses stress but after that it behaves 

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Thank You Sponsors!