iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hardwood floor tolerances

Started by Tom_Averwater, September 27, 2011, 01:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom_Averwater

I was helping my neighbor lay some prefinished hickory hardwood floor. The boards are supposed to be 5" wide .The boards vary from 4-7/8" to 5- 1/32 . The sales rep says this is within tolerance . Is there a spec . on the variation for hardwood floor ? My neighbor is boxing up what we have opened and taking it back tomorrow. 
He who dies with the most toys wins .

beenthere

I'd box it up too.
That is poor mfg., or poor moisture control after mfg., or poor handling of the bundles before laying the floor.

Were the bundles still wrapped up until laying the floor?

Any specs are likely when the flooring was run through the moulder. Running the moulder on wood of varying moisture contents just means there will be some shrinkage/swelling after the boards reach some equilibrium.

No fun to have that happen. What thickness is this flooring?

This is one reason I would stay away from 5" wide flooring.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom_Averwater

The flooring was still wrapped up sitting in the rooms we were laying it in . The air conditioning has been on .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

beenthere

If it was wrapped, then it didn't change dimension on your end.  IMO
Nothing to do but take it back.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

i would be willing to say you bought it at a big box store :( take it back.. the flooring width tolorence is mostly spot on size board after board.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!