iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

powder post beetles

Started by pineywoods, November 17, 2011, 08:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Had a man call me today asking about little black holes in some beams. From what he described it sounds like powder post beetles. Only thing, the beams are cypress. My experience has been that ppb's are mostly a problem in hardwoods, in a few rare instances, I have seen them in real dry pine, but never in cypress. Anybody seen the buggers n cypress ???
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

If the holes are ringed in black or are a black color on the inside, it is probably ambrosia beetles and not powderpost beetles.  If it is ambrosia beetles, they only attack the wood as the tree is cut or dying, and do not persist after the wood dries out.  There is also usually no sawdust or frass associated with the holes, unlike powderpost beetles.

Hopefully, it is not powderpost beetles  :).  The ones that I am too familiar with only attack dry hardwood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Sounds like ambrosia. I had them in my white pine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!