iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Woodmizer questions

Started by music_boy, July 13, 2004, 04:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

music_boy

O.K
       I've made up my mind to go with the hydraulics. ;D  I've decided to push the envelope too. I going with accuset setworks, lubemizer, and the de-barker.(de-barker is part of their special ???)
       Woodmizer says, the autoclutch is not really necessary. The manual lever is very smooth and easy. The engine is a 28 hp kohler  air cooled gas. What say ye all? Is it?
        The answer to that will help me decide if I should go with the command control. With that, there is an auto return for the millhead. If the controls are on the head, you have to walk it back, which means you have to walk down too. Concerns me cause of knee surgery last March. My knee may not be a problem later, but it is now If I go with the command control, the autoclutch comes with it.and I don't have to walk all day. Leaves me with energy to hump logs on the loader, and unload boards.  
        And yes, I found some money to borrow that won't kill me in interest, and my payments will be manageable. It will be paid for in 5 and I retire in 5.
Thanks ya'll
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Tom

Start throwing money at it and it will be paid in less than 5 ;D

There's  a good chance you will be making a fair amount of side money with that mill that you haven't taken into account yet. :).

Bibbyman

If you're going to have help pullin' slabs and boards and such, the Accuset with remote station and autoclutch is a nice option. Sawing by yourself,  you'll do about as much walking anyway.

If you are going to saw by youself mostly,  walk-along would work just fine as you have to be there anyway.  Arrange your work so when you complete the cut, you pull the slab or board and put them in their right places.  Your steps won't be wasted.

Manual clutch on the smaller engines is no big deal to throw if your not doing it a thousand times a day every day.  On the bigger engines on the Supers?  I'd say try one first.  We had a 96 Super with 35 Wisconsin engine and it was about twice as hard a pull as the one we had with 18hp Briggs engine.

The autoclutch has more parts and a motor and gearbox and linkage and switchs and such.  It's a little more complecated to get adjusted than just the throw lever.  We've not had any major problems with the autocluch - just normal adjusting and one time I had to clean the dust from between a proc-sensor switch.

The board dragback is standard on the Super.  I'm not sure if it's available on the standard HD as it has smaller head motors.

Did you check out the LT40HDG25 with accuset, debarker and lubemizer the dan-l-be has posted for sale?  2002 model with about 160 hours.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DR Buck

I'm about to spend the $600 to add auto-clutch to my LT-LT40HDG25.  I only saw on weekends and EVERY Monday my arm and shoulder is killing me.  :'( :'(
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Percy

Heya M.B.
Like Bibby, Ive had a walk along and a remote. There is somthing to be said for both style of mills but I do prefer the remote. Dont eat as much sawdust, which is a real issue with me and the WRC. Im gettting allergict to the stuff :o The debarker and Accuset are about the best things to come along since the Strat so if you get them, you will be laffing. A drag back would be a nice feature too but Bibby figures you might not be able to get one with the standard mill. Regardless, they are a time saver as well.
Good luck and best wishes on whatever you decide to get and post some pics once you cut some wood,steel :D or what ever.
Later
Percy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

MM

I don't like the command control on the stanard sawmill. The super works well. The reason I don't like it on the stanard is there is no board drag back. I like to be in the sawdust too. guys have added the drag back to there mills but it would be a real pain to do it to a remote. You wouldn't want to do it to a new stanard anyway. I think there would be some warrenty issues. Accuset, lubemizer and debarker is great. I don't have an accuset on my mill. but, some day.
 Auto clutch comes standard on remote (comand control) mills. Auto cluches are ok. If you have good strong arms I wouldn't spend the extra mone on it.  DR BUCK, ever try switching arms? When mine gets tired I pull the clutch handle with my left hand. Works reather well. A guy that worked at WM showed me that trick. I thought he was nuts. It works well.  

Well I don't know if I help or added to your confusion??? It maybe to early but I'm going to welcome you to the orange club anyhow. 8)
M.L. Morrow
812/614-1825

music_boy

I got it now ;) Be workin by myself for the most part, so walkin is walkin. Hopefully, this will be the last "wunderin". What's the deal with  the rid-a-long seat? Don't think it would be much better to ride, get off, then move  a board and get back on. Instead of a seat, how bout a stand on to ride down and back ??
Walkin is o.k.
Thanks for all the insight ya'll It really has helped alot.
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Bibbyman

There is no "easy ride" with sawmillin'.  If you got someone doing the labor part,  then the seat will work well.  If not, it a lot more trouble to get on and off.  Plus,  you lose about 4' of bed length.  

The "stand and ride" would only work if you have a stationary mill.  Elal has a setup like that.  But it won't work with an axle and tire in the way.

Walkin' good for you anyway. Kept me slim and trim!  ;D
Sawing since '94

RMay

music-boy with the seat you can push the boards off on the loading arms when you go by . The sawdust will build up and you can step on and off the seat ::)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Bibbyman

One thing nice about the seat - you can use it or not.  Sometimes it may work out well,  other times you will want the whole 21'.  It only take a minute to take off or put on.
Sawing since '94

JD350Cmark

Hi Rick,

Good choice to go with the hyd.  When I got my mill last March, the board return was not an option because like Bib said, the return motor is to small.  I am glad that I do not have the command control as I find myself pushing the slabs and lumber off while I'm down at the end of a cut.  I got the auto-clutch mainly for my dad.  I think the first time something goes wrong with it I'll wish I had the lever, but before I had it the lever was not that bad to engage.  Have fun, I sure am.      -Mark
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Thank You Sponsors!