iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Morgan saw company out of business

Started by Sawyerfortyish, May 20, 2010, 08:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

Just found out today Morgan saw has closed there doors. Not due to the economy but from a law suit. This is just hearsay and i'm sure I don't have all the details. But from what i've heard they were contracted to build a machine for a company. They did but the machine did not do what it was supposed to do. The company took Morgan to court and Morgan lost and had to pay damages. The damages were in lost contracts that the company had. It amounts to millions of $$$. Morgan closed there doors about a month ago so if you have a machine made by Morgan parts are not or soon will not be available.

LOGDOG

Where'd you hear that Sawyerfortyish? Is it Morgan Saw or Morgan Machinery? They're two different companies. Kinfolk to each other but seperate businesses. They're located 20 minutes from me. I've got one of their edgers. Parts will be available likely - just from their source perhaps if the news is correct. They were more than happy to tell me their source for the wide belts on the edger. I can float a call or stop by their place if anyone is in a pinch for anything.

Bibbyman

We got a letter the other day from Sawmill Supplies LLC. that told that Morgan and Arklatex Mill Supply had closed as of April 2, 2010.  But they (Sawmill Supplies LLC) could supply most replacement parts for Morgan Saw equipment.  

They list a phone number 318-847-4388 but no web site.

The Morgan Little Champ was made by yet another Morgan in Serepta, LA.  Lonnie Morgan was the one that ran that company.  I think it was his bother that made a chopsaw and an uncle that hand Morgan Saw.  That's the way I remember it. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

LOGDOG

I think I managed to find the case. All of their websites are down etc. So ... it looks as though this could be the case. They're nice folks. I guess I need to take a run over there for myself and pick up a few things and get some names, numbers and addresses of suppliers.

Anybody need anything while I'm over there? Just let me know.

There's a lesson in this for all business owners. Limit your liability by using multiple entities and LLC's - one entity leasing equipment to another entity providing services to another entity etc. That way if something like this happens you don't get cleaned out. Also, bad idea putting all your money in equipment and your business to create write offs and not funding a SEP, 401k, Defined Benefit Pension Plan, etc since in most cases retirement plans are protected from creditors and predators (in this case the litigious type). Look at the way this stands to impact them and especially their customer base.

This is a prime example of why it's important to look at the company you're fixing to buy a piece of equipment from. Do they have something set up to protect themselves and you the customer in the event that something like this happens? Do they have a business continuation plan if they are a small, closely held company and perhaps the owners pass away or are disabled? Could you find yourself with a mill and no company around to service it? All important questions that I think a consumer is entitled to ask and receive answers to. If they take exception to you asking, then you should take exception to spending money with them. Maybe then their standards will come up -maybe not. At least your chances of being the owner of a piece of equipment and not having a company around to service it will be decreased.

Bibbyman ... You're kind of right on that. Lonnie ran the shop and did the fab work. His folks are/were the money behind it. That group had told me over a year ago that they were pretty much winding it up. They're just a couple miles from each other. They still had a shop full of brand new edgers that they were willing to make smokin' deals on.  ;D ;)

customsawyer

I need to get one of the infeed belts for the little champ so if you can get any ph# that would be great.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: customsawyer on May 22, 2010, 06:54:33 AM
I need to get one of the infeed belts for the little champ so if you can get any ph# that would be great.

Quote from: Bibbyman on May 20, 2010, 10:29:39 PM
We got a letter the other day from Sawmill Supplies LLC. that told that Morgan and Arklatex Mill Supply had closed as of April 2, 2010.  But they (Sawmill Supplies LLC) could supply most replacement parts for Morgan Saw equipment. 

They list a phone number 318-847-4388 but no web site.

The Morgan Little Champ was made by yet another Morgan in Serepta, LA.  Lonnie Morgan was the one that ran that company.  I think it was his bother that made a chopsaw and an uncle that hand Morgan Saw.  That’s the way I remember it. 
Sawing since '94

LOGDOG

Customsawyer,

I had bought an extra infeed belt for mine when I was up there. They gave me the number for the supplier too. I'll have to look it up. Do you prefer red or blue? They had some extra's on hand at the shop if you want me to pick one up while I'm there. I'll probably grab another couple for myself. Little Champ you say?

Arbor1

That is really bad news as Morgans were great people to deal with and even down here in New Zealand  we use their gear .

I have about 8 of their units  and would be seriously interested  to know about  "sawmill supplies llc" contact details  to investigate  supply of spares etc .  Anyone with any ino on this post or by email please  to frankdavis@arborresources.co.nz

kderby

I also have a resaw and am interested in parts availablility.  I am sorry they ran into troubles.  We still have work to do. 

Thanks for any added information.....

KD

Tim/South

I have their edger. It is a wonderful piece of machinery.
I had no idea they had shut down. Glad I saw this thread.
Thanks for posting the contact info.

Bibbyman

I heard yesterday that the Morgan company was back in business.

Anybody got good info on this?

There were three Morgan companies. One made all kinds of things, one made the Champ and Little Champ edgers, and the third made chop saws. They were blood kin but I don't know how they were related, business wise.
Sawing since '94

Sawyerfortyish

Boy I hope thats true. I have one of there band resaws and needed new guides we had to make them fit off of something else.

LOGDOG

I'll put my feelers out. They're just down the road a piece. A few months back, I talked to the wife of the owner of the company that made the Champ and Extended Champ edgers as well as some gang edgers, she said they were DONE with the business and had no intentions of ever getting back in. Hopefully they changed their minds. I've got an Extended Champ myself.

kderby

I would like some blade guides as well. 

I have a resaw from Morgan.  It does a fine job.  I am replacing the gear box for the drive belt now.  The machine got some weather (former owner and then me :().  A bearing in the gear box rusted and seized.  Finding another gear box was not a problem.  I opted for the new gear box in order to get back in production ASAP. $374.00

I expect to fix the old one as well.  Got the new/replacement bearing today.  This new bearing is sealed.  I need to keep the machine covered ::).  Lesson learned.

No other problems have popped up.  I say thanks to them for the fine machine.  I am sorry they went out of business.

Kderby

Bibbyman

Quote from: LOGDOG on April 29, 2012, 09:16:31 PM
I'll put my feelers out. They're just down the road a piece. A few months back, I talked to the wife of the owner of the company that made the Champ and Extended Champ edgers as well as some gang edgers, she said they were DONE with the business and had no intentions of ever getting back in. Hopefully they changed their minds. I've got an Extended Champ myself.

Logdog, any update?
Sawing since '94

LOGDOG

Not yet. I'll try to call over there tomorrow. I actually had this on my mind this morning. Thanks for the reminder.

Thank You Sponsors!