iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinions needed: What should I cut an mill for flooring for my log house?

Started by MotorSeven, August 29, 2011, 08:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j rock

Mix hardwood looks great. A TIP for you, when drying like this rember to flip the bordes over 1/2 way throuth drying season.(mite help stop the curling some what.) Also when sawing it out -saw it, over size, like 1.3/32 to even 5/4. that way if it dose curle much, you have lots of board to work with.    J.
whats fun? making saw dust!!

jdtuttle

QuoteJim, Do you have any pictures?
just sent a text to my daughter to send me a couple pictures. Not very good at downloading pics, but I'll try  ;)
jim
Have a great day

jdtuttle

This is a mixed hardwood floor we made & installed in a duplex. red & white oak, ash, poplar & cherry.

Have a great day

Ozarkian

I love the ERC walls, can't wait to see more pictures as you complete them!   I have no experience cutting flooring, but wanted to compliment your current progress.   ;D

-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

MotorSeven

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

plowboyswr

Motorseven  looks good  and wdh is right ozarkian is gonna go nuts :o  :D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

eastberkshirecustoms

I know you are looking for lighter woods, but I 'wood' like to see an apple floor. That would be nice, but that's just me....

MotorSeven

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Magicman

You get it from an "Apple" tree.   ;D

This picture is courtesy of Tom.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

eastberkshirecustoms

Bill Gaiche

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

My question has to do with the ERC walls.
they are certainly pretty, but
It seems to me that you will be living in a giant cedar lined closet/chest.
Do you think the odor will cause problems over time?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

jueston

i love the smell of cedar... but just like a closet, after a while the smell won't be very strong anymore, and since he coated it with something it might not smell much at all anymore....

MotorSeven

I'm already immune to the smell. Our shop is 200 yards away and 300' down hill. My wife could smell the cedar when I was squaring logs form there....and I couldn't smell a thing.
Jueston is right, I sealed it with Tung Oil and I can smell that, but it too is fading quickly.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

MotorSeven

So, no opinions on the 1,000 board feet of kiln dried 5/4 Ash for $750? Fair deal?

Have I angered the milling gods by even thinking of buying wood? :D
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

jdtuttle

Have a great day

MotorSeven

Quote from: jdtuttle on February 14, 2012, 10:34:29 AM
That's a good price but a little thick for flooring.
jim

Yes, it's mill cut. I have not seen it yet, so I am not sure if I will have to run it through my planer or get away with sanding it once it is down.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Axe Handle Hound

I'd buy it for that price.  It's going to make a beautiful floor and it's ready to be milled right now.  Don't see how you could go wrong really. 

jeremiahdixon

I think the price sounds good and would plane it to 1" or so and fasten it from the bottom if possible.

MotorSeven

Quote from: jeremiahdixon on February 14, 2012, 03:54:29 PM
I think the price sounds good and would plane it to 1" or so and fasten it from the bottom if possible.

Interesting idea....but my floor trusses are 16" on center and 10' off the basement floor. I just don't think I could play twister long enough to get 1,000 sq ft screwed down :D
I am kinda entertaining no shiplap or T&G, just gluing and face screwing or nailing, then making my own or buying dark plugs for the holes. If you have ever seen a teak deck on a boat, the screw plugs make it very cool looking.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

WDH

MotorSeven

And I happen to have walnut stickered and stacked in a shed for two years. Yikes, I hope the beetles have not made more sawdust...........
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Thank You Sponsors!