iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Stickers

Started by b dukes, May 04, 2012, 04:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b dukes

Since I have gotten most of the problems worked out on my mill , it's time to cut the stickers I will be needing. What is the normal size and length?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I saw my stickers 1 inch x 1 inch. Your length will be determined on how wide you make your stack.

I sticker A LOT of Pine. If you stack and sticker Pine, its a good idea to sweep all the saw dust off before you begin a new row. Sweeping cuts down on mold forming in high temperatures.....especially if you're sawing green Pine. If I am stacking Pine, I use Pine stickers.

If your stacking lumber to be stacked for a long time, I would suggest maybe a little larger sticker to enhance the air flow coming through.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

roger 4400

Hi. I,M not as experienced as many others on this site, but usually the pile is often 4 feet wide so you need 4 feet stickers and we often use one inn by one in. (1X1) stickers ( not too wide it will stain some wood) With hard wood like maple or even with white pine it is very important to use DRY stickers otherwise the wood could be stained (black stain caused by a mushroom.). Good luck
For myself when I pile " framing wood" ( 2X4, 2X6 etc...) made of balsam fir or spruce I do not care if the stichers are dry or not. Good luck. Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

hackberry jake

I get mine second hand from a comercial kiln. They are 1 to 1.25" wide and 1 thick. The lengths are random, but I assume your length would depend on where the lumber is stored, and how much of that species will be in the stack. If youre only going to have 500 bf or so, you would want a narrower stack that is taller for the weight benefits. I have one stack of mixed hardwood 4/4 lumber that is 8' wide x 8.5' long and 6' high stored in a chicken house. There's probably about 1500 bf in a stack that size.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

When I'm cutting stickers for myself, I cut them 1 X 1¼.

That way, I don't end up with a thick-n-thin situation, easy to spot that ¼".

Most of my customers use the edgings!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

laffs

I cut mine from hardwood edgeings usualy 1" by 1 1/2" by 50" or 52"  I dont care for the 1x1s sometimes if your stacking from the end of the pile they tend to roll, if you stack from the side it doesnt matter. 50" is for 5 and 10"  board stacks also helps with the narrow board stacks , nothing  I like more than restacking 4"
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

bandmiller2

Stickers can be a byproduct of normal edging,when you see a good one throw it in a pile.Four feet long is kinda the standard,any longer and its a long reach to stack lumber.Its nice to have some 4"x4"x4' to create " lifts" depending on how much your forks will lift,bad to have a tall pile and find you can't lift it.I've got some 1"x1" but like 1"x1 1/2" better, whatever I get my hands on first.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

I go around to the lumber yards and get dunnage the stacks are shipped in .They throw them away any way .Pine or fir ,dry and straight 4 feet long .

Rip them all 3/4" thick. Freebies that work fine for what I do . Run them through the table saw .Get a barrel full of stickers and about two wheelbarrows full of saw dust .

Woodey

I cut my sticker 1" x 1" that way I have the same height either way when sticker the lumber.

Started out with my stacks 42" wide, now I make them 48" wide to fit my kiln cart.

I only use pine sticker that are air dried to prevent sticker stain on the lumber.
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

thecfarm

I cut my stickers when I edge my one inch boards. Instead of taking off 3 inches,2 of wane and an inch of good wood to make a 6 inch board I just take the 2 inches of wane and make another pass for the sticker. Does not take long to get a plie of stickers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tcsmpsi

Mine are cut 1 1/4 X 1 1/4" X 5', usually out of older pine.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Al_Smith

I've seen them use a lot of things .Scraps of PVC pipe as a matter of fact . One even used the remains of grid work from a discarded lay in ceiling .

Now this is not large amounts just maybe a couple hundred board feet stacked in the corner of a garage .

jimparamedic

I sort out my edging that will make a 1"x3/4"x48".if bark is left on the sticker I peel it off for bug control. as long as the stickr has at least 1/4" for the board to lay on. I have V shaped racks over head in my mill to store the stickers in most of the time it is the diagonal brace at a post

Thank You Sponsors!