iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lawn Grass I.D?

Started by ReggieT, June 07, 2019, 03:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

Well there you have it from the experts. Now what?

It must be quite different down there as a perennial. Up here you'd have bare ground from October through May. People put down a pre emergent in late March to control it in lawns.

Let us know how things turn out.

Thanks for the official ID.
HM126

Southside

If it's a perrennial it's not crab. You could also try Chris Teusch at University of Kentucky, he is a grass guru. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Raider Bill

Our crab grass grows year round. We have one called goose grass too.
Doing a quick search ther's a bunch of different kinds of crab grass.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

btulloh

Yep. So it seems.

One thing I know for sure: If you put in zoysia plugs, in a year or so you will have a pure zoysia yard without getting rid of anything existing. Zoysia will crowd out everything. Even without fertilizer and adjusting ph.

Sure, it goes dormant in the winter and turns brown (here), but so what?  Brown is the color of winter, with occasional whiteness.

HM126

Raider Bill

Ours ion this side of Florida only browns if there is a "good" frost which maybe happens once every couple 2 or 3 years otherwise it's growing.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

ReggieT

Quote from: Southside on June 13, 2019, 03:13:27 PM
If it's a perrennial it's not crab. You could also try Chris Teusch at University of Kentucky, he is a grass guru.
Thanks for the possible connection.
BTW...is there an email/contact info for Chris Teusch via their website or do you have his info?
I'd really like to get 2nd opinion.

Southside

I sent you a PM with his contact info.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

My first thoughts was crab grass as well. I have one spot in the small garden that I have to pull all summer. I now even use roundup around the edges which also has mulch down.

What I am using on the lawn to reseed is timothy and clover mix. Both are hardy in our winters up here. $90 for 25 kg bag, versus $15 for 1 kg bag of exotic grass from the high mark up hardware stores. Which do you think is the better buy? :D And yes it is growing well here in the gravelly soil. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ReggieT

Quote from: Southside on June 13, 2019, 10:30:58 PM
I sent you a PM with his contact info.  
Thanks Jim,
I've spoken with him via email and he confirmed that it was crabgrass 
and sent some great pics to help as well.
I'll bear with it this season and either go with Bermuda or Zoysia next yr.

Just sent him one last inquiry concerning just having crabgrass in the
backyard in lieu of having, "little to no grass"...which is my current status. LOL
Decent greenery is my only stipulation for the backyard...with the exception of Johnson Grass! :D :embarassed:
Thanks for the help.
Reg

Thank You Sponsors!