iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

middle Tn

Started by residman, April 10, 2007, 04:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenedive

Quote from: easymoney on April 19, 2007, 09:29:00 AM
yes we have had some folks move in to lewis county and try to change things. nothing makes me madder than having some yankee say well where i came from we did it this way. makes you want to say yankee go home. nothing looks better than a yankee on a bus headed north.

Well easymoney...I am a yankee and proud of it...I lived a couple years in Tennessee and didn't find it any different than how things are up here in Pennsylvania....except some people were still trying to fight the Civil War. That ended 142 years ago!! Maybe you had a bad experience with a 'yankee', but don't be thinking all of us would for some reason want to change your way of life. I've had friends move up from the south and never thought about saying 'Rebel, go home', even if I didn't agree with all their ideas....this is all one country.

Let's fight the right enemy here..... ::)
We have the same problems here in the North.

Greg Cook

Welcome, Residman. I'm in Wilson County, several mile to the north of ya.  Glad you found this fine group of folks, before long you'll wonder how you got along without them.

Raider Bill, at least you have pine and poplar! All I have is cedar, sycamore, and a god bit of Honey Locust thrown in to have something to cut down that it makes you APPRECIATE cutting cedars with limbs all the way to the ground.

This Tennessee contingent is going to have to get together some weekend!

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

thecfarm

Nothing looks better than a flat lander on a bus heading south.  ;) There I just had to say it. ;D We have the same problem here.Everyone wants to change things the same way where they came from.Than why did you leave there in the first place.Just the way some people are.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Well having grown up in CNY in a small town I lerned to hunt, fish trap and play in the woods. I moved to Fl 25 years ago when it was still sparsely populated. Now jeesch, it's crazy. I need to get back to the woods.
Quote from: Greg Cook on April 19, 2007, 07:12:42 PM
Welcome, Residman. I'm in Wilson County, several mile to the north of ya. Glad you found this fine group of folks, before long you'll wonder how you got along without them.

Raider Bill, at least you have pine and poplar! All I have is cedar, sycamore, and a god bit of Honey Locust thrown in to have something to cut down that it makes you APPRECIATE cutting cedars with limbs all the way to the ground.

This Tennessee contingent is going to have to get together some weekend!

Greg

I'm heading that way Sunday providing I'm not too hung over from Saturday. Should be there a week to 10 days. Will be making the trip every month for the next few months or at least till it gets cold there.
I'd invite you all over but there's nothing there but trees.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Dave Shepard

A friend of mine wanted to fix up a little bridge crossing a little stream near his house. He said it was going to cost something like 20k for permits, engineering etc. I asked how much the fine was if he didn't ask permission, he said 4k. I said I think I know how to save you $16,000. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

PineNut

Don't ask the question unless you are prepared to live with the answer. Works with permits also.

ID4ster

Make sure that you leave some of the limbs and boles that are greater than 3" in diameter. You need a certain amount of that size wood (3"- 20+") scattered about your forest for long term soil nutirents and to rot and be incorporated into the top levels of the soil. If you walk around and through your proerty you'll see that there are parts of trees such as blowdowns, broken off tops, fallen snags, etc., that are becoming part of your forest soil. This component is very important and will affect the soil and forest productivity 25-100 years down the line. Forest owners that clean up their timber to a park like standard or who cut all the top limbs below 3" and haul them away are being very detrimental to their forests health. In Tennessee you've got very good conditions for rotting down any limbs and tops that you leave behind in a short amount of time so you should leave them and let them rot, even some good firewood species, so that you can maintain and improve your the health of your forest soil.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

easymoney

i apologize if i offended anyone with my comments about yankees. some of them are pretty good folks. they just talk funny with that northern accent. actually i have had quite a few kinfolks that moved north after the war to work in the automobile plants. they would always come back home in the summer to live off their kin and brag about the money they made in detroit. some came back  home when they retired, some stayed up north to live out thier days especially if they had married a northern girl that loved the city and could not stand the slow pace of country living.

Greenedive

Thanks easymoney...I guess it bothered me because I could relate to the rest of your post and knowing that we rural 'yankees' are plagued by the same type of people, (those who can't live without their every move being regulated and monitored by 'Big Brother').
Sure didn't like getting blamed for the thing I'm always bitching about. ;D
I am especially tuned into this issue right now because I'm in the process of building a new house....I had several thousand board feet of nice clean hemlock lumber sawed up for my joists, studding and rafters...and the building inspector said I couldn't use it because it wasn't 'stamped and graded'. I am in the process of trying to get the lumber graded in hopes that will satisfy the 'regulations', but at this point it is still pretty iffy.

thecfarm

I know what you mean easymoney.We try to keep it a secret here how good we have it up here.I hate it when someone comes from the south and go back where they belong to brag about how good they have it up north.I really hate it when they brag how much money they made.Just the way some people are.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!