iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's all coming together

Started by Corley5, November 23, 2005, 07:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I'm getting things all lined up for the new firewood venture.  I've got a pile of seasoned hard maple in the barnyard, the elevator out running, and I picked up the new dump trailer yesterday.  I'm still lacking the processor but I talked to Block Buster last week and the frame was done and on its way to the paint room.  It should be here in a couple weeks.  In the meantime I've also picked up an order for three face cords to be delivered next Thursday 8) 8).  That was just word of mouth through my co-workers.  I haven't done any formal advertising yet 8) 8) 8)  Gonna have to use the 372 and my back for this order ;) ;D 

Pile of sugar maple.  That was a bit of an adventure just having it delivered.  The driver didn't swing wide enough and just about put the pup over the driveway fill coming in.  He had to unload it and unhook, unload the lead at the pile, come back and pull the pup sideways with the loader to get it back on the driveway and then re-load what he'd taken off.  The guy wire for the light pole isn't tight anymore either.  The pup was against the pole at one point :o  Next delivery we decided it'd be best to come into the driveway from the west.  More room to swing.  I didn't have the camera that day and I'm glad.  I've got images of the pup with ten cords leaning against the power pole and the lead leaning rather dangerously etched into my memory.  I don't need any pics.

Some of the wood is a bit "riper" than I'd like.  You can see the spalt in it.  It isn't soft though and the little bit I burned worked good ;) ;D.  It is seasoned :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Nothing wrong with that firewood, that's Dang nice stuff. My wood I cut a year ago got spalt, it doesn't take long in the summer heat.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

We got the elevator out of the barn for the 1st time in better than 30 years a week or so ago.  We had to run it backwards by hand to clean out the 30 years worth of squirrel and mouse nests.  The we had to hook it to the tractor pto to limber it up.  You can see the pile of walnut husk powder in one picture.

My plan is to clean this old building out to set the processor up in during the winter.  It'll probably be outside this winter.  I've also got a neighbor who wanted to sell me a pile of logs he cut to clear his lot to build his house.  He's got a new Central Boiler but thought there was too much wood for him.  After thinking about it I suggested I process a portion for him as payment and I take the rest.  He thought that it sounded like a good idea 8)

Corley5

When I first saw the wood on the truck I wasn't real pleased to say the least but after it was unloaded and I got a better look at it I decided it'd work O.K. ;D  Ads for seasoned wood are disappearing around here.  One add that'd been around since Aug isn't running more.  I don't want to sell all this right away either.  I'd like to have some to sell in late winter early spring for a premium ;) ;D.  I was also tossing around the idea buying ten cords of green to mix with some it. 

SwampDonkey

I can't imagine anyone going wrong with that setup. And I'm sure there are lots of folks that want wood for heat this winter and many more to come. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Well your wood definately looks like it's been cut a year and that's the kind of stuff folks like here. If you wanna here the old ladies cuss, just try and dump green stuff on'm ;)

Corley5

It's been a cut about a year and a half.  The story I got was that a logger went in and high graded the stand and not only took the best trees but also the best logs.  Another outfit was logging it again and was also cleaning up what the 1st one left laying.  There's probably twenty sticks of green maple in the whole pile.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Corley5 on November 23, 2005, 07:47:04 PM
It's been a cut about a year and a half.  The story I got was that a logger went in and high graded the stand and not only took the best trees but also the best logs.  Another outfit was logging it again and was also cleaning up what the 1st one left laying.  There's probably twenty sticks of green maple in the whole pile.

That's commonly done here because up until 10-15 years ago hardwood was mostly firewood. If you had cut logs, someone pretty much only wanted the best and there wasn't a big market. *pithed alot of loggers off, so they'de just haul what they couldn't sell as firewood to the pulpmil. The buyers were the fussiest lot ya ever came across. That's why everyone said that Nackawick saved them because the loggers didn't have to deal with alot of crapola. It's taken the last few years to win back their confidence so they start sorting out the logs now (price helps to), but they never lost the urge to highgrade. And it doesn't help that our piece size is smaller, so it's been more profitable to clearcut.

Thank You Sponsors!