iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have some walnut trees down in SW Missouri. What should I do with them?

Started by oldsamdog, January 27, 2010, 10:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsamdog

Hello, last spring we had a strong wind come through the farm and a little over a dozen walnut trees came down.  I walked up and measured them yesterday.  Got the following measurments around the trees:  at 4 feet up from the bottom  60",45",65",101",46",76",71",53" on the first 8 trees.  Measured 61" ,53" and 84" at 6 feet high on three more trees.  59" and 93" at 8 and 9 foot on two more. 49" at 11 feet tall on the last one.  Have another one back in the woods that I didn't check and some good size limbs laying around.  Had some questions on what I should do.  Has the walnut market recovered much.  Had a neighbor  a few years ago make some good money on walnut.  Just wondering how much down the walnut price is now compared to the peek it was a while back.  If the price isn't that good could I somehow store the logs in hopes the price would go up.  Are these trees I have down enough for a decent load for a buyer to want to look at?  Where might I find a list of buyers around my area that might be interested?  Should I leave the trees lay where they are at or cut them where I could pull them all in one place.  I think my tractor could pull most of them.   My last question I know nobody can really answer without seeing them but I'll ask it anyway.  Worst case scenero, anyone have a low end idea what they might be worth?

footer

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

I thought walnut prices have been in the tank for several years, unless you have veneer logs. Personally, i think there are way to many variables to get any kind of answer on what they are worth without someone going out and looking at them and getting good measurements. You might try looking up your state forestry dept on the internet and find your local forester, and give him a call. Also, there are several members on here from MO, maybe someone close enough would be interested in looking. I would if you were not so far away. Although you didnt mention any lengths, I think the qty you have listed would be enough for a buyer, that is if there is any kind of market. There is a walnut mill in Concil Bluffs IA @ midwestwalnut.com/ you might call them, but you would want better measurments. Also, you should provide the DBH, which is the Diameter at about 4' off the ground, not the circumference.

Ron Wenrich

Your Dbh measurements would be about: 2 @ 14", 1 @ 16", 3 @ 17", 1 @ 19", 1 @ 20", 1 @ 21", 2 @ 24", 1 @ 27", 1 @ 30", and 1 @ 32", assuming your measurements to be correct.  They may be off a little bit.  Volume, if they are 2 log trees may be around 4,000 bd ft on the Doyle scale. 

A word of caution on this estimate.  I have not seen these trees so I cannot vouch for any accuracy in the numbers.  Its just a guesstimate.

The value of any hardwood tree is dependent on the quality.  If you have really nice walnut, then you should be able to generate some interest.  You have about a trailerload of logs. 

With blowdown timber, you don't really have many options.  The markets are what they are, and the timber is down.  You can leave them lay at your own risk.  The market may recover or it may not, but your trees aren't going to be growing any, and they will deteriorate and lose money.  No one will pay the same price for trees that have been laying down vs those that are fresh cut. 

I wouldn't recommend you to cut them unless you have a buyer that tells you where they want them cut.  You can really lose value if you cut them at places that lose either value or volume.  Let a professional do it. 

State forestry office, or extension service should be able to give you better advice on local interest. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Magicman

First, Welcome to The Forestry Forum.  Those trees have been down close to a year now so they need harvesting.  You may check lumber prices on Craig's List, etc.  You may be ahead having them sawed, kiln dried, and selling the lumber
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bro. Noble

There is a member that lives at Ozark, Mo.  and is looking for walnut logs.  I believe he goes by CX3.  Maybe he could take a look at them if you aren't too far from him.  The local walnut grade lumber market is down 30 or 40 % from what it was before the bust. 

If you're located anywhere near me,  I would be glad to look at them and tell you what you have,  but I don't buy logs.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ironwood

If you where closer I might have been interested.
Sorry, Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

lancek

Hey old Samdog
My name is Tim Kendall I am with a company called Timberland management I will be down in southern Mo next week and could help you with  your walnut problem If you are interested!  you can Email me at jak10860@centurytel .net if you would include your phone no. I will call you back and set an appointment to come look at these trees! I am going down to Iron county to do some work for the state we log with horses and they wanted us to log some of the blow down areas that were sensitive! Hope to here from you soon Tim

thecfarm

I see you are a new member,welcome to the forum.Just a word of caution.I have no idea how much you have worked in the woods.A blow down is very unstable.When you cut the tree from the stump,keep pets and people away from the stump hole.The up rooted stump might go back into the hole.Be careful the tree don't roll over towards you.Have escape route ready and clear of any brush.Use wedges,cut under and on both sides,a split log is only worth firewood prices.Walk around the tree,not under it.Any branches touching the ground is under pressure too.Since you are new,I don't know you and want you to be aware of the danger.Not preaching to you,just be careful.Listen to Ron,he's right.The longer you wait,the less they are worth.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ARKANSAWYER

Becareful cutting blowdowns.  You can crack a walnut log easliy and lose  money fast.  I am in north central Arkansas near Harrison.  We buy and saw walnut all the time.  The market is good for large logs and veneer but what you got is going for about $800 mbdft. delivered to the yard.  Two or three years ago they would have brought that on the stump for the land owner.  You can contact me and I have list of walnut buyers in MO.
www.arkansawyer.net
ARKANSAWYER

Larry

SW Missouri...that would put you close to Neosho.  Try Missouri Walnut.  Don't put to much stock in the name as I think the Chinaman owns em.  I've sold to them a few years ago and there check was always good.  Many times the price higher than most of the others.  Mostly green lumber.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

oldsamdog

Hello and thanks to all for all the suggestions.  I have some names of buyers supplied from a local retired forrester.  Also found a couple more buyers on my own and my brother has one he knows as well. 

Magicman

Depending on your own economic condition, you may very well be able to market some and use some for yourself.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chain

Hello, and I'm a newbie here, my pleasure to be in your company. I'm a Tree Farmer from the Southeast  Missouri area. There's a  Quarterly Stumpage Market Report, put out by MDC. This report I have from last quarter Oct.-Dec.09, lists Walnut veneer from reported sales from a low of $1,335-to high of $3,335 on Int scale MBF. So, you can readily see, you need a pro-forester to guide you to see the grade of walnut you may have. Also regular walnut logs were reported from $335.00 low to $915.00 high Int. scale MBF. Good luck!

fishpharmer

Chain, welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Interesting info about walnut, a very broad range of prices.  Post up a thread about your tree farm when you get a chance and we love pics. ;D

Oldsamdog, have you considered your own sawmill?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!