iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oil type for motor sleeve shaft

Started by curved-wood, February 06, 2019, 12:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curved-wood

I have a motor behind my wood stove which shaft run on sleeves. It has tubes so i could oil it. What type of oil should I use for an electric motor that run on sleeves ? I thought of the automatic transmission oil but is it too fine with the heat?

mike_belben

Any oil is better than none. Probably a high speed spindle oil.  
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

Those sleeves are most likely oil lite bushings. They are made of a porous bronze that is designed to capture oil and release it over time. Very similar to the circulator motors on hot water heat systems back in the 60's and earlier. These like to see something like a straight non-detergent 30 weight oil. No heavier. Sewing machine oil will work too. The burner service companies like Sid Harvey used to provide small amounts of this oil in neat little tubes which a screw cap to reseal it. I still have some of these. Please do not use transmission fluid, which is really hydraulic oil and is flammable besides not functioning well when it hearts up from friction. Just a couple of drop every once in a while, depending on run time. On a circulator that has a 10% duty cycle, maybe once or twice a year should do. If it has been dry for a long time, perhaps do it once a day for a few days until the bearing is refreshed, just a few drops. I hope that helps.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

curved-wood

Good thing that you mention not a detergent oil, I was just going the opposite way thinking of cleaning the gum that could built up on the shaft. 
Thank you for the info

Old Greenhorn

That's why I suggested going heavy for a couple of days to flush that out. Then if you are regular with it, the bushings pretty much keep themselves clean. Bronze bearing bushings are pretty neat little passive devices.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

hedgerow

We always used Zoom spout turbine oil on all motors that needed oiled when I did maintenance at the plant where it was a motor in a condenser on the roof that saw -20 below to 100 in the summer or a motor in a cooler that was 36 degrees all the time to pump motors in the heating hot water systems. These motors got oiled on a PM once a year and I never saw a motor fail from lack of oil in 15 years I worked there. 

mburrow

Old Greenhorn

Turbine oil is a high quality, very clean, light oil and should work just fine. 3-in-1 oil was still vegatble oil based last time I looked and that is not good for oil-lite bearings. It will clog the pores of the bronze. If you use 3-in-1 on a sharpening stone, you will notice after a time that you get a build-up on the stone and it needs to be cleaned. I stopped using that stuff for anything a very long time ago. If you have some sewing machine oil in the house, that will be perfect.

trapper

Quote from: mburrow on February 07, 2019, 11:14:10 AM
i use 3 in 1 oil
3-In-One
That is what my father in law told me to use in the furnace blower motor and fan bushings The motor lasted over 30 years and the fan was still working at over 40 years old when we replaced the furnace this year.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

btulloh

HM126

btulloh

3 in 1 makes more than one type of oil.  One product is specifically a motor oil.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!