iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WhAT kind of wood is this?

Started by strunk57, December 27, 2014, 06:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strunk57

I had a friend give me an old barn to tear down, there are a lot of these wide boards used as the floor in the loft. Im not sure what kind of wood it is. Im hoping for chestnut. I planed a small piece of it down to show the grain. It is old growth whatever it is.

99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Tree Dan

Hard to tell...Nice looking stuff though
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

sealark37

What Dan was too kind to point out, is that your pictures do not allow any visual identification of the wood in question.  Try again?    Regards, Clark

WDH

It is a diffuse porous hardwood.  Definitely not chestnut as it is ring porous.  Could be in the Magnolia family (Yellow poplar, magnolia, cucumber tree), could be sweetgum, or maybe blackgum. 

If you could plane a board to show the natural color, that would help. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

What was the picture taken with?  Any better choice of either camera or setting to get a better focus?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

strunk57

Sorry didn't realize the pic was so blurry, I'll Ty another pic tomorrow.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Dave Shepard

Direct sunlight really helps with getting good color. It's amazing what cell phones can do today, but that itty bitty lens is in trouble when there is poor lighting.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kcwoodbutcher

If it's on the lighter side I'm guessing sycamore. It could just be the lighting though.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

WDH

If I had to guess, I would be in the kcwoodbutcher camp with sycamore.  If so, the edges of the boards should show the pronounced ray fleck.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mayor

I would guess from the pics. you have that you have a softer wood like a white plank from a huge cedar!.
the spalting and the way the wood cracked is what I'm basing my decision on.  The white (water spalting) on the end in the standing pic. tells me it water damaged.  The other things is the way the wood is torn in one spot in the crack!.   Usually happens in really soft wood.  Better pics. my change my mind though!.

kevin19343

My first thought was cherry, except it should be darker after all this time. Definitely not chestnut.

Thank You Sponsors!